SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Walther Match Rifle [Range report in last post].
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther Match Rifle [Range report in last post]. Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted
Just got this in. 1965 Walther KK. Imported and marked by the seller as a KKJ [Hunter]. Pretty sure it's a KK-UIT [International Shooting Union], it has an UIT rail on the stock bottom. Very clean, with a nice bore [Haven't cleaned it yet].
I have a few questions. The front sight is unmarked and I want to replace the insert with a post. Any idea who made the sight? If I can't clean the front lens insert I'll have to replace that too, or is it really needed? The front sight base has a little side to side wiggle, do I just tighten the front sight screw? And the rear sight base is tight, but the sight itself has a little front to back wiggle, is that correct? I've never owned a match rifle, so this is all new to me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kz1000,

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Very nice

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Search for “globe front rifle sights” and you will get many results, for example:
https://ochocos.com/collections/globe-sights

I suspect that perhaps not all are the same size, but you will still find inserts that fit yours.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a diameter measurement edge to edge away from the "ears", it looks like you may have some overlap there.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I re measured & put the Lyman 17A insert from my Winchester 75 next to it for comparison. Front lens cleaned up nicely.

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! I have a KKJ where someone at some point in the history had put the globe sight on. It also came with an old Weaver 22 scope. I removed the scope while hunting for a proper rear peep. The “correct” rear match sight was twice what I paid for the rifle, so I went with a Air Force airguns rear peep that works like a champ.

The KK series in the 50s came with one of three triggers. Yours appears to be the KKJ hunting trigger. The Match trigger was straight, and the other option was a set trigger.

Nevertheless, it will be fun.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, 16mm instead of 15.
I would contact Earl's Repair Service
http://www.carlwalther.com/page2.htm

Champion's Choice
http://www.champchoice.com/sto...yitemlistBody&c=OPAI

And Freeland
https://freelandssports.com

to ask if they had loose inserts that size. I will check to see if my Baldwin inserts might fit.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not that they may be any easier to find but the inserts for my Kimber 82 Government measure 15.82 to 15.90 mm.
Translates into .002 to .005 thousandths difference in diameter to the one you have.
May be able to find a set on Ebay.

Posts: 245 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
"Just got this in. 1965 Walther KK. Imported and marked by the seller as a KKJ [Hunter]. Pretty sure it's a KK-UIT [International Shooting Union], it has an UIT rail on the stock bottom. Very clean, with a nice bore [Haven't cleaned it yet].
I have a few questions. The front sight is unmarked and I want to replace the insert with a post. Any idea who made the sight? If I can't clean the front lens insert I'll have to replace that too, or is it really needed? The front sight base has a little side to side wiggle, do I just tighten the front sight screw? And the rear sight base is tight, but the sight itself has a little front to back wiggle, is that correct? I've never owned a match rifle, so this is all new to me."

That's a Walther sight. I never used the lens with an aperture with my 52 or Anschutz.
I have a KKM-II. Its very much like yours. Has a full length under rail and a butt hook. I have paper of the original purchase over seas by an Air Force A/1C on 10 June 1961 stationed at or near Laon France

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6286 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure this is relevant. But the technology situation has made certain things possible. I have a friend who is 3d printing inserts for a different gun that seem to work well and I would guess you can find someone locally to make what you need.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
That foresight is identical to that on my late-50's LG55 target air rifle.

There IS a post insert available.

Posts: 11303 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

Tac, thanks for the info! Do you know who might stock the insert?

-Bomber Harris

More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
You might check with Neal Stepp at ISS in Texas, Ft Worth iirc.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
quote:

Tac, thanks for the info! Do you know who might stock the insert?

Over here in UK, for sure. In USA? Hmmmm. You might try air Rifle HQ, or Neal Johnson's used sight parts -http://www.nealjguns.com/ , I'm told they usually have a few.

Let us know how you get on, right?

After I wrote this I emole a UK-based Walther spares company Protek, with whom I'd had dealings over the years.

Nope, he said. So in the morning I'll take a look at my collection of inserts and find one that might be of use to you - the foresight on my old Walther is identical to yours, 'cept that I shoot with the same inserts as you have right there.

Don't go 'way.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tacfoley,

Posts: 11303 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Okay - I've found TWO - a 2.2 and 2.6mm.

Which do you want?

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay - I've found TWO - a 2.2 and 2.6mm.

Which do you want?

Thank you Tac! Very generous. I think the 2.2 would work better for me. My email is in my profle.

-Bomber Harris

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Neat rifle.

What is the purpose of the lens in that front sight? I thought I knew a little something about aperture sights. Never knew that they had an option for adding a lens. What does it do?

Posts: 14112 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Neat rifle.

What is the purpose of the lens in that front sight? I thought I knew a little something about aperture sights. Never knew that they had an option for adding a lens. What does it do?

I wish I knew. At least it's clean now. The lens has a brass collar/bushing around it.

-Bomber Harris

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Range report from yesterday. A mixed bag.
Shooting 50 yards benchrest:

Shot 25 rounds of each type of ammo.
45 degrees, slight wind to the left.

Federal White Box
Federal Auto Match
Sights at factory zero
Junk ammo, at least I hit the target.

Aguila Std Velocity Target
Sights at factory zero
Shooting low, better groups.

Norma Tac-22
Norma Tac-22 Match
Moved elevation up 12 clicks
Getting there. Better groups.

All in all, I think it's a good start with the circular front sight insert. The 8" targets filled the circle completely. I think I'll do better with a post front insert.

One thing I need to fix: The trigger is adjusted WAY too light for my liking, a hair trigger. I shot my CZ455 American afterwards, it felt extremely heavy in comparison. I can hit 1/2 pasters @ 50 yards with the CZ. Gonna adjust the Walther's trigger and try again.

-Bomber Harris

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I've just emole you - take a look.

1. Stop putting crap ammo in it and expecting good results - you are farting in the thunder.

2. Get some RWS Standard rifle or GECO standard and watch it shoot properly.

The insert is NOT a lens, it is the front end of a dioptre sight.

The eyeball end has a small hole/aperture - its size can vary or BE varied, through which you view the target which automatically centres in it due to the brilliant design of the human eyeball.

Remember that THIS type of sight is NOT meant for game shooting, but for target shooting at a mark of known dimensions, hence the use of different size elements.

You CAN use this backsight with a post - my Wehrmann sight fitted to my Swedish m/96 is like that - using the standard issue front sight as found on any Swedish Mauser. I get great results - 1" being usual at 100m for five shots.