SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Walther Match Rifle [Range report in last post].
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther Match Rifle [Range report in last post]. Login/Join 
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

The insert is NOT a lens, it is the front end of a dioptre sight.

I was referring to the bit of glass in the OPs front sight.

I have seen sights of this type before, but never with any glass involved. Just iron apertures. What does the glass do?

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:

The insert is NOT a lens, it is the front end of a dioptre sight.

I was referring to the bit of glass in the OPs front sight.

I have seen sights of this type before, but never with any glass involved. Just iron apertures. What does the glass do?

So was I. It's circular piece of plastic with the black printed on it. It does not magnify, so it is not a lens of any kind. Mostly you see them as a black printed circle or circles, without the 'supporting sidebar'. The idea of the 'supporting sidebar' is to assist the shooter in keeping the sights level when holding the rifle in the shooting stance - usually standing with this kind of rifle, which is common in the German Jaeger-style shooting competition for which this rifle was designed - hence the title KKJ - Kleinkaliber Jaeger - Jaeger = German for hunter.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Tac- Email replied to.

I ran the low end ammo just to see what it would do. The Norma ammo is decent in my other .22's and fits my budget. I do have a few boxes of Eley Club I'll try once I adjust the trigger.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:

So was I. It's circular piece of plastic with the black printed on it.

I see. I was under the mistaken assumption that it was a piece of glass in front of an iron aperture.

I didn't realize that the aperture was imprinted on a piece of plastic.

I assumed it was like this picture:

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:

So was I. It's circular piece of plastic with the black printed on it.

I see. I was under the mistaken assumption that it was a piece of glass in front of an iron aperture.

I didn't realize that the aperture was imprinted on a piece of plastic.

I assumed it was like this picture:

Nice to have!

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I spent the morning working on the rear sight. It was DIRTY. I found the looseness issue, the 2 top [in the pic] silver screws were loose. No movement now. Sight was also too far forward, and I adjusted the butt pad. Trying again tomorrow with Eley Club. I have a brick of RWS on the way, Gonna see if I can do the rifle justice.

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Took it to the range again today. Better results with Eley Club, but the front sight isn't to my liking. Will try again with the post front sight when it arrives. I did hit 15 for 15 shooting steel @ 150 yards.

-Bomber Harris