SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What's Your 'go-to' SD/HD 5.56 Ammo?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's Your 'go-to' SD/HD 5.56 Ammo? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Need/want to start stocking more than just the FMJ/BTP type of range ammo for my ARs, and seems that 'off the shelf' locally most is either range or varmint/small/med game loads.

ARs are both 16", 1 a midlength the other carbine

What's your go-to option for SD/HD?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16014 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
There was a really good thread on this a couple of years ago. I believe it was started by para because he wanted to move away from M193. I think.

Anyway, I like Speer GD 69gr and Hornady TAP but M193 isn’t a bad substitute if you want to buy in bulk without going bankrupt.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 8019 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Federal Premium Tactical Tru 55gr Ballistic Tips.

Posts: 1848 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I too have a large stock of M193 but all my mags are loaded with Speer Gold Dot or Hornaday Tap.
The heavier bonded projectiles have proven to be better performers in shorter bbls but is a bit spendy.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The TAP and Gold Dot mentioned are things I'd have as well. Those have proven not-so-easy to come by, at my LGS, so I have had 73gr FTX and 75gr Interlock HD SBR in my standby rifles.

Posts: 2473 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Having had a hard time sourcing more Gold Dot I've bought a few cases of this stuff from SG Ammo. It seems to be a good sub for the Speer ammo.
I also have a good stash of MK262 77gr as well. It also performs well in shorter bbls and is very accurate at distance with a proper rifle.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Man, shipping cost really kills some of these deals in smaller qtys.

Posts: 16014 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cntrl23
posted Hide Post
Bereli has free shipping on all items, and they’ve got a good variety of quantity options for most ammo. Never had a problem with any orders.

They’ve got a bonded option with Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, “FEDERAL PREMIUM LAW ENFORCEMENT TACTICAL AMMUNITION 223 REMINGTON 62 GRAIN BONDED SOFT POINT *Government Contact Overrun* LE223T3 without nickel coating on brass.” Sold as XF223SP here.

They’ve also got the above mentioned Federal Premium Tactical Tru 55gr, but with Sierra Gameking hollow points here.

Posts: 180 | Location: MN | Registered: January 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cntrl23:
Bereli has free shipping on all items, and they’ve got a good variety of quantity options for most ammo. Never had a problem with any orders.

They’ve got a bonded option with Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, “FEDERAL PREMIUM LAW ENFORCEMENT TACTICAL AMMUNITION 223 REMINGTON 62 GRAIN BONDED SOFT POINT *Government Contact Overrun* LE223T3 without nickel coating on brass.” Sold as XF223SP here.

They’ve also got the above mentioned Federal Premium Tactical Tru 55gr, but with Sierra Gameking hollow points here.

That's not a bad price at all for 500 rounds of 62gr TBBC.

Posts: 1848 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cntrl23
posted Hide Post
It was my search for Gold Dot that led me to TBBC, which is now my new favorite.

Posts: 180 | Location: MN | Registered: January 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I'm divided between (these are 223 Rems if that's OK):

Black Hills 50 grain V-Max, a polymer-tipped varmint round

Federal AE223G 50 grain JHP, also a varmint round with very good accuracy (good enough that all of our testing was based on this cartridge)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16956 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
If I didn't have a case of Federal mk318 I would go with the TBBC.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cntrl23
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Federal 5.56 64gr Boat Tail TBBC option from Bereli, here’s a round recovered from jugs.

Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
When Silver State was bought out, they had a clearance sale. I purchased a fair amount of Their 77 grain HP. Also couple of cases of Federal 62 grain ball we used for qualifying.

Posts: 839 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cntrl23:

Thanks, ordered a box of the XF223SP
Case of 100 was barely more than 2 boxes of 20 from some other vendors when adding in the shipping.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Got a couple 40rd Pmags loaded with 75gr TAP. I also have a real small stash of 77gr SMK OTM I was graciously gifted. I need to lay in a supply of that stuff.

Posts: 17674 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Going to get back in the habit of stopping in the local shop(s) & grab a box or two every couple weeks.
Have a fair stash of FMJ/range fodder, but not much else.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Speer Gold Dot bonded 62 grain soft points

Posts: 33108 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Speer Gold Dot bonded 62 grain soft points

Have a good source? Couldn't find much Speer in stock at the places I was checking, nor the Hornady Tap.

posted Hide Post
FWIW, I have read that Hornady Frontier 75gr BTHP is loaded with the same "T2" bullet as the TAP. However, it also seems that Frontier isn't made anymore, presumably because it relied on Lake City brass.

You can find whatever you want on the dreaded GB. I, like you, haven't found Gold Dots or TAP anywhere for any "normal" price. Barnes TSX might be worth looking at too.

Posts: 2473 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post