SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Learn me on Single shot rifles in 45-70
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Learn me on Single shot rifles in 45-70 Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
I’m thinking of buying another 45-70, I’ve owned some in the past but foolishly let them go....

So now is the time to start looking.

I’ve had a ruger no1 and enjoyed it.

I’ve had a marlin lever gun and let it go to a member here on the forum.

I’m not planning on hunting with it, just to shoot paper and explore loading blackpower cartridge...

I’m thinking of:

Rolling block
Martini Henry
Sharps
Ruger
High wall**added to list

Can you guys who own one of theses, Gimme the pros and cons of each

Thanks guys.

Edited to add high wall

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11236 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I know there are several .45-70s with shorter barrels, but I never understood why anyone would really want one with less than 28" of barrel just to get everything out of the cartridge possible.

OP, I don't know about availability or prices, but Winchester (Miroku) has put some very nice 1885s out on the market from time to time as well.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Pedersoli Sharps and besides being probably the best looking gun I own, its a hoot. The dual triggers work as they should and to me it soaks up the recoil with the octagonal barrel. I got mine in trade so I cant say much price comparison wise but it routinely puts them through the same hole with my handloads and I could shoot it all day.

Posts: 3040 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I had a Pedersoli rolling block in 45-90 and an original Remington rolling block in 43 Reformado. I sold them both to buy my Shiloh Sharps 50-90. It's a work of art. But in the long run when "the lust all died", I wish I hadn't and still owned the Pedersoli roller. Rollers are dead simple. I liked that. The issue with the Italian guns is parts can be too soft or too hard.

(Also had a reworked Remimgton roller in 40-65, that I've swung both ways on. I rarely used it, sold it at a loss. It had a long Parsons scope on it. Now that my eyes have taken a shit, I wish I still had it)

I still own the Sharps and would probably sell it if I could get anywhere near what I have in it back, but I can't. Still have a Remington Hepburn and a couple Martinis as far as traditional go.

Also have a few Ruger #1's, and a T/C TCR

Obviously I'm no help.

Posts: 21040 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Don't get a New England Firearms, unless you hate yourself.

Posts: 17043 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Don't get a New England Firearms, unless you hate yourself.

We had one briefly... even the .45-70 loads I shoot in my Contender pistol, I didn't like shooting in that rifle. And that was with a thicker, soft pad and a mercury insert. And I'm not a recoil sissy. Just did not like the recoil, nor did a couple family members. Which is really odd as I've two 12ga slug guns and a 10ga turkey gun on the same platform and neither bother me anywhere near like the 45-70 did. It went down the road cheap.

Posts: 21040 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Though I've owned several 45-70's and several Ruger No. 1's over the years, I've only owned one No. 1 in 45-70. It consistently shot 1.5" groups with my handloads pushing a 300gr HP at around 1,950 fps. This was my "standard" deer hunting load.

The No. 1 recoil pad could be better, especially on the larger rounds, but recoil was not too bad.

gas near me now

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can find one: Ruger Number Three. Its the no frills version of a Number One.
I regret selling mine.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15988 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Going to a gun show today after the kid gets done with karate....we shall see what the great state of Texas has to show me.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11236 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
A poster above mentioned the Winchester/Miroku. Its brother is the Browning. Browning invented the darn things, and as usual he did a good job. I still have 2 of them, but only one I can shoot. The other is the 1776/1976 Commemorative. Its got the prettiest wood I've ever seen on a factory rifle. Not that the wood counts for much, except to look at.

The other is my shooter, and I've kind of messed with it. I put a 1x4 variable scope on it, and its a tack driver. Really,it will push the tack clean through the board, often with no evidence of where the tack once was. The only thing wrong with it is the steel recoil bad. You know, the one that absorbs recoil like a chunk of steel. Its purpose seems to be to limit the number of rounds you'll fire in a day.

Nothing wrong with the wood on it, either. Browning puts the nicest wood in the industry on its rifles. It even shoots factory ammo pretty well. That stuff is too expensive these days, so you've gotta reload. Who ever heard of $40 for a box of 20?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I know there are several .45-70s with shorter barrels, but I never understood why anyone would really want one with less than 28" of barrel just to get everything out of the cartridge possible.

OP, I don't know about availability or prices, but Winchester (Miroku) has put some very nice 1885s out on the market from time to time as well.

Depends on the use I suppose; mine (16" overall ported) is for deer, but if I ever go into dangerous big game country it would be better suited than a longer barreled cousin. But for throwing 500 grain rainbows on long shot targets or gongs, a long barrel is a must.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I’m thinking of buying another 45-70, I’ve owned some in the past but foolishly let them go....

So now is the time to start looking.

I’ve had a ruger no1 and enjoyed it.

I’ve had a marlin lever gun and let it go to a member here on the forum.

I’m not planning on hunting with it, just to shoot paper and explore loading blackpower cartridge...

I’m thinking of:

Rolling block
Martini Henry
Sharps
Ruger

Can you guys who own one of theses, Gimme the pros and cons of each

Thanks guys.

Sorry - I can't help you with your choice, since I have a .45-70 Govt Winchester High Wall - THE most elegant of all the single-shot rifles, IMO, and the simplest. I'll be putting a MVA Winchester Type B scope on it this year, for sure.

Posts: 11303 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
So I don’t know how I let the high wall slip from my list but I added it.

Also, the gun show I went to yesterday was less than stellar. I guess there are more than one level of show. This was akin to a loacal fair vs an annual State fair with all the trimmings.

I’ll see if there are any more around and try a different venue.

The only single shot they had was a rolling block takedown in 22.

Prices were crazy, saw a SMLE No.4 for $400....

posted Hide Post
quote:
explore loading blackpower cartridge

You could probably find a plain version Pedersoli 1874 for the lowest price in the field, but the sweet spot in the market is the C. Sharps 1875.
http://csharpsarms.com/catalog...-Sporting-Rifle.html

Me?
I have a real Winchester Single Shot "Highwall" and the modern Browning/Miroku lookalike.
My mentor in BPCR shoots Shiloh and Browning.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jim Watson,

Posts: 3277 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want the Rolls Royce version check out here:

https://www.dzhepburn.com/product/3-hepburn-rifles/

Uncheap but machined from solid steel from the ground up. I've spotted for a shooter that shot a 10shot 6" group at 500 meters while he was clearing the Rams in a Silhouette match.

These are Serious not just match grade rifles but Match WINNING rifles - I might have one a match or two with them myself ;-) ;-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or a CPA on the 44 1/2 Stevens design.
https://www.cparifles.com/page...1-2-silhouette-rifle

I don't know if anybody is currently making Ballards, but there are some nice ones on the secondary market.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Come on Mike! Frown

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9140050654

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is the Browning 1885. I put a Leupold 3-10 on it and enjoy shooting it very much. Just a fun gun and a great deer gun.

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Come on Mike! Frown

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9140050654

Thats your cross to bear Bald1, me, I'm just over here picking daisies.

Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
The H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic is an attractive single shot with classic lines and not overly priced. The sights are very flexible.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post