SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Israel retiring it's Tavor in favor of the M4
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Israel retiring it's Tavor in favor of the M4 Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
Well, they finally came to their senses. I do love the M4. Apparently I am not alone.

Dude my life is Glocks and DI M4s these days.

I’ve had the whole piston phase, to include a 416. What reality I came to is unless you are running a LOT of suppressed, and live in a desert, the piston makes sense. If not...

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
The M4 is the preferred choice of infantry and SF units in the IDF. They are prized and if you can get one, its almost a status symbol. They are still using beaten, old but maintained M-16s and every few years there are rumblings about switching over to different rifles and platforms. The Tavor was the first time the IDF actually went with a new rifle.
I'd guess they are going to phase out the Tavors with M4's, but politics always plays a role, and it will be difficult to switch out an Israeli made product to an US one without some bonehead politician making noise - but in the end it will happen. The Tavors will go to reservists, and non-infantry over the next few years.

As to the "lefties", I shoot a rifle left handed (pistol right) and am left eye dominant. I never had a problem with any righty M16/M4 or AR15. the Tavor was a major PITA, and I learned that the hard way 1 hot brass casing & gas in the face. No 2nd shot. In the field, or at the armory you can easily pick up another M4 and use it w/o any modifications. Not so for the Tavor.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dyingtime:
In the end nothing beats a well made M4 for functionality and ergonomics.

This.

Despite a long time love of the AUG, truth is bullpups suck in practical application. Hence why in nearly every military which issues bullpups their SF folks or anyone else with a choice opts for a rifle with a conventional layout. UK, Australia, Ireland, even Red China.

The tavor is not a bad gun being, essentially, a bullpup layout AR-18. It’s well made and it’s primary shortcoming is simply the bullpup layout.

I suspect some of the mixed messaging is to avoid hurting 3rd world export sales.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I wonder if the Galil ACE is outselling the Tavor internationally.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
What reality I came to is unless you are running a LOT of suppressed, and live in a desert, the piston makes sense.

I only shoot suppressed now, with maybe the past 15k rounds through AR-15s with cans. I train in lands that are near-desert conditions, once the spring rains have passed. We have lots of yucca, and small cactus is common.

I compete regularly in true desert conditions in New Mexico and Wyoming.

Never experienced issues with my suppressed DI ARs. I don't use adjustable gas blocks.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I thought I wanted a Tavor after my IDF guest bragged on them so much.

Then I took one apart.

I'll be keeping my SP1.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TFB reported that the switch is not actually true.

Posts: 2088 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered my x95 left handed, having no problems.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

Never experienced issues with my suppressed DI ARs. I don't use adjustable gas blocks.

Yeah, but you are you. It’s like saying Michael Jordan doesn’t care if the ball is a little deflated.....

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of raulakario
posted Hide Post
Good now we can have more for us.

Posts: 8 | Location: no | Registered: September 16, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
TFB reported that the switch is not actually true.

So does anyone have a legit source for this or the refutation thereof?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post