SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Are you a Gucci or simple carbine owner?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are you a Gucci or simple carbine owner? Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Since I'm not an enlisted man with a mass produced issue carbine color me Gucci.
Besides the mandatory ultra reliable components such as quality BCG, bbl, and internals my main carbine is a mid length 14.5" with full M-Lock rail, red dot, white light with pressure switch, abbreviated fore grip, fancy flip up irons that will most likely never be deployed since sighting in, two point quick adjust sling, Radian 45° ambi safety (must have), three prong Surefire flash hider that will eventually act as a suppressor mount, and super tactical operator sheepdog grey accent parts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ryanp225,

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I only have one carbine that isn't a PCC. It sports the full length floated Mlok handguard that came with the upper, a stock flash hider, Magpul BUIS (because what if the optic dies?) a Romeo 4 red dot, a polished Nickel Boron trigger group, Magpul grip and a fixed stock that came with the lower. Once I finish function testing and dialing it in out to 200 yards, it gets a Radian "gasbuster" charging handle, because it will sport a silencer.

Listed like that is sounds a little Gucci, but those are all function over form in my mind.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The carbine that lives in the trunk has iron sights and a light attached to the plastic handguard with an IWC mount. That's certainly "simple", and I am competent enough with irons that it suffices in it's role as the beater in the trunk. I'd even say that I like the gun; it's handy and light, and I like the way it's configured. If some bad shit was happening, and I had a choice, I definitely wouldn't choose that rifle.

My aforementioned 933 is superior in every way, excluding velocity, due to the shorter barrel. Is it "simple"? I think so. Everyone seems to agree on an optic and a light, even for a "simple" carbine, so that leaves the silencer and the laser, as the outlying "gucci" or "complicated" aspects. The laser is only complicated if you're picking it up for the very first time, and you have an aversion to learning. It's the same one issued to Joe Blo infantryman, so it can't be that tough to use. The silencer, as mentioned already, does come with some associated "enhancements", if you want to really integrate it, but they just require installation, and no fiddling after the fact.

It's been a good convo, and it's interesting to see different folks outlooks on what makes a "gucci" gun. Sometimes less is more, but other times it's not. Every time: it depends on your use case, goals, and practice.

Posts: 2150 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Everyone is sounding ashamed of having a Gucci carbine. Nothing wrong with nice stuff for your gun. Gucci that shit up!

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
Even with my experience of 27+ years as a criminal attorney (defense and prosecution) I can't argue that my JP Enterprises JP-15 isn't a Gucci.

I've had the good fortune of working with a handful of great attorneys so far during my career. Using the concept that Gucci is form over function, they should have minimal issues arguing in court that JP isn't Gucci.

I honestly don't know if I feel better or worse because of this observation.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd agree that gucci is bad and/or dumb, and perhaps shameful, if the user doesn't take advantage of what the nice components have to offer. All depends on the context of use. If it's giving prairie dogs dirt naps, and home defense, then a "simple" carbine checks all the boxes. If you want something for a more military, 2nd Amendment role, then some complicated or "gucci" stuff will serve you well.

Posts: 2150 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I voted no, but I do have (what I believe) to be a gucci carbine. After building a few and or piecing a few together, I always wanted a top tier AR that was modified or further built in a commensurate fashion. I'm happy with it. In fact, I love it.

But I wouldn't turn down a 2 day carbine course if I only had a frankengun with a T1 and an X300.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9688 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted simple but then reading the thread it appears I might be Gucci after all.

This year I semi retired my old AR's in deference to my newest purchase that seems to hit all my preferences.

I now have mounted on my rifle rack in my office my do everything AR. LWRC IC-DI. Fully ambidextrous, larger ambi charging handle, MLOK. I added a Surefire Scout (tailcap switch), basic VTAC padded QD sling, Magpul3 BUIS, and a PA 3X microprism with ACSS reticle (illum green).

That seems simple to me. I also have an MLOK Magpul bipod that is currently attached because I like having it at the range and it doesn't impede offhand use other than the extra weight. The LWRC is pretty lightweight to begin with though so I figure that is a wash.

So simple-ish.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
majority of my stuff is bone stock, although that has more to do with me being a collector than my philosophy of use.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I really like to modify and customize things to my liking, so probably guilty of Gucci. Cool

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Both mine are Anderson lowers, CMMG triggers. Uppers both PSA’s. One has a carry handle,that one is used with a CMMG .22LR conversion kit. The other has a Nikon scope.

I consider neither one a Gucci gun.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I just received another Hiperfire Elite trigger. I have reached the point where I am upgrading some of my already upgraded triggers.

I have used Geissele, CMC, JP, Larue, AR Gold, and Hiperfire. The Hiperfires with the cam-over toggle triggers are simply excellent. The best you can get IMHO.

Stock triggers are gross. Embrace the Gucci!

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Everyone is sounding ashamed of having a Gucci carbine. Nothing wrong with nice stuff for your gun. Gucci that shit up!

Absolutely, just because I like Cold War era battle and assault rifles doesn’t mean someone can’t like modern assault rifles. Nobody’s your manager, buy what you like!

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Cold War comment prompted a train of thought...
I think the "simple" vs "gucci" argument exists at all, due to the technological advancements of small arms during the GWOT, and the age group of discussion participants. This discussion would be a lot different, or not exist at all, if everyone involved was younger than, we'll say, thirty-five. Before the GWOT, and the almost simultaneous technology and internet boom, a "simple" carbine was plenty competetive on the battlefield; now it arguably isn't. The dumb "overmatch" thing of a couple years ago isn't really that dumb, in theory. Pre-GWOT, your equipment would be largely equal to that of a potential foe, as a citizen; you'd lack military infrastructure, but plenty of conflicts have proven that motivation and guerrilla tactics can compensate for lack of big army networks. Now though, your individual equipment is at a huge disadvantage as well, if you lack contemporary optics and other "enablers". As usual, I am considering the topic in the military or Second Amendment context. Simple might not be good enough anymore.

posted Hide Post
Simple from quality manufacturer. I prefer reliability without alot of extra things hanging off to snag or add weight without actually improving hit probability, shot placement, time on target, etc. Now if Gucci is buying from manufacturers like BCM, COLT, LARUE, etc. to ensure the qualities I want, then I am Gucci.

One also has to recognize the point of diminished returns. Do I really need to spend twice as much on an item that is only 1-2 ounces lighter and is the same in all other regards?

Posts: 4587 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Springfield Saint today. I think for the next bit it’s going to be my primary training rifle.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you take the rubber band off? lol

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Did you take the rubber band off? lol

And let all the Gucci out???

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
It’s like a sling condom, right?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Always use protection! Big Grin

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post