SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    For all the guys who did not like the red dot on my 1894…..I found this locally for $60
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For all the guys who did not like the red dot on my 1894…..I found this locally for $60 Login/Join 
posted
Turns out the guy is 53years old and cannot see his front sight on his Marlin .44 clearly anymore. I’m going to give it a try and see if I like it. 1/2 price over new was too good to turn down.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Oh man, that's classy looking! I hope it works for you, just because it looks so cool! But I'm still in the camp that if the red dot works the best, it's the right call, whether it's blasphemous or not Cool!

Posts: 8389 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I'm with 92fstech on this one. If it works for you, do it. I used to run a Garand with a scout scope. As for the Skinner sight. They are top notch! Enjoy.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Adjustment info. Also, in case your want other front sights, etc.

http://skinnersights.com/index.html

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
You may have to get a new front sight. I had one of those skinner sights on a marlin 30-03 I gave to my stepson…IIRC the company has a formula for figuring the new front sight height.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11236 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put a Skinner on my 1886 Chiappa, had to put a taller front sight on it but its a great shooter with the peeps.

Posts: 446 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All my lever guns, and a Ruger No.1 use the Skinner sights. Best non-optic option for me.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
IIRC the company has a formula for figuring the new front sight height.

Should be on their website. If not just give them a call. Or, just buy an extra tall one and file it down to your needs.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Good grab. That is a robust rear peep and the price is definitely right.

I have a Ruger .44 carbine I wanted a rear peep for, but they've been out of production from Williams for some time and just too hard to come by. I dropped in a Skinner peep aperture as a stand alone. The threading matched the factory scope mount hole so it was easy to mount it directly sans base. I now have a very low profile, solid peep.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
Now you’re talkin’! I have one on my Texan 35 REM. I paid wayyyyy more for mine. Congrats. You may have to change the front sight though.

Posts: 1620 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say use whatever works best for you. Peep sight, red dot, or scope. I agree with rangemaster in that your current front sigth may or may not work with that sight though.

Posts: 932 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post