SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Is a red dot on a Marlin .357 lever action blasphemy? (Update 3 Nov)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is a red dot on a Marlin .357 lever action blasphemy? (Update 3 Nov) Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Skinner, Williams or Lyman receiver sights. Any of these will bring out much improved accuracy for your Marlin.
Go forth and sin no more!

I have Skinners on my lever actions (except for the 45-70 that I put a scout scope on). They are great sights and they are just down the road a piece from me. Nice folks.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Damn Quotes

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1232 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rebut10:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
You want blasphemy!! I will give you blasphemy……….I kinda sorta want to build a tricked out tacticool, blacked out tacticsl light having, dot or LPVO, MLOK rail having afront to all that is good and natural, middle finger to Oliver Winchester lever gun. So that itty bitty red dot……..notsobad. Smile

I’m not proud of these thoughts. I want to make that clear. Smile

I’ll see myself out.

Slinger, it sounds like you want to build a Henry H012X.

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1232 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Here on mainland UK, where our proper cartridge-shooting handguns were taken off us in 1998, it took about a month or so until people started replacing their lost handguns with lever-actions in .38/.357Mag with red dots, and doing the same drills as the IPSC and police pistol but extended out to 50m.

Here it is now called gallery rifle and is hugely popular. Check out the Phoenix Meet at Bisley on youtube. 8000 competitive shooters in a single weekend can't be bad.

Nothing unusual here at all.

Remember that some bowhunters put red dots on their bows - a 60,000 year-old technology with one less than thirty years old. If you works for you, go for it. anything that can keep a shooter enjoying his shooting for longer in to older age can only be good news.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Phoenix Meet at Bisley

Posts: 15838 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a forward-mounted low magification, long eye relief scout scope on my 1895 45/70 marlin. I'd have no issue putting a red dot there, either. What's the difference?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
No. Marlin 336 in .35 Rem.

Love it. Buddy has a Marlin 45-70 with a Vortex Venom. Works perfectly and holds zero.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12742 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I took a deer 3 years ago with a Primary Arms red dot on a Marlin 1894SS .44 mag. Replaced it for the last 2 years with a Leupold Firedot scope. Both worked perfectly well. Absolutely nothing wrong with using modern tech.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
no not blasphemy - mount whatever your eyes require and don't worry about what other people think. I'll be going this route soon as well.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took the old girl out yesterday to test with .357 loads. There is zero powder my in area and I refuse to pay the stupid price of a pound of powder online with hazmat, so I used what I had plenty of on hand which is IMR 4227. The gun shot extremely well and should be GTG on the deer and hogs here in Florida. I’ll take those groups with e red dot all day long. The load is:

16gr IMR 4227
Hornady 158gr XTP
WSPM

25yds

50YDS

Posts: 1095 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Well that’s a waste of like 99.8% of the target. Think of the trees man. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7625 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Good work, usncorpsman. Bring home the bacon. And venison.
And in south Florida, there's iguana and python the-other-white-meat to be had. Headshots only.
They taste like ... like... you know.

Posts: 15838 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Damn. Hard to argue with minute-of-staple.

Posts: 17046 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I would like to amend my previous comment in this thread. After seeing everyone else's position on this subject, as well as seeing some of the results on-target, I wish to retract my "it's blasphemy" comment. While still not my personal "cup of tea", I will now say, "whatever works for you"!

All this lever-action talk makes me want to get my 336 out to the range before it closes for waterfowl season!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4544 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting...I'd say she's dialed in Smile!

Posts: 8394 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Seems like a problem with the 25yd target. Some sort of weird keyholing with the first round and misses with all the other shots. Glad you got it cleared up by the time you moved to the 50 yard target.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I promise if red dots where available 150 years ago they would have been just as popular as they are today.

We aren't talking about horseless carriages here...now those things are dangerous.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
For a SD gun, you get a permanent and irrevocable pass. Otherwise you should be burned to death on a bed of faggots at 0600 hrs. Eyesight condition is irrelevant.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8633 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
I put an RMR on my 1895. I got a cheap mount and cut the bottom off so I had a flat plate, then drilled it to match the rail mounting holes on the receiver. It co-witnesses with my iron sights now. Initially I tried mounting it on a rail on the receiver, but it sat way too high.

Posts: 759 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post