SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger's first New Marlin Lever Action rifle!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger's first New Marlin Lever Action rifle! Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Guys just skip the .357 and get it in a proven rifle cartridge, the 30-30. It was a great cartridge decades ago, and still is. Wink

I already have a 336 in .30-30. It is a fantastic cartridge and a fantastic rifle.

But I want to get back into cowboy action shooting so I need a pistol caliber lever action rifle. I could use .45 Colt but I’m setup to reload .38/.357 and I have a good amount of materials on hand.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Just hoping they get cranking soon. I was in wally world yesterday and saw $1,223.00 on what used to be known as a plain ol' Winchester 30-30. I had to look at the tag three times before I was convinced that I was indeed conscious and it wasn't a hallucination.

As Para stated earlier, that shit's gotta change.

Posts: 7484 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
According to the interview w/ the CEO, it sounds like Ruger has made something of a commitment to following the Marlin design rather then 'Rugerizing' it to fit into their existing manufacturing process.

Thats good news for all Marlin owners as the last year or so has seen a steep increase in the prices of available parts and many parts just not available at all.

I have more JM Marlins than I can count with my fingers and found myself woefully short on small parts.

I find it interesting the 1895 is the first model out the door. Early on, Ruger said it would be the 1894s we saw first.

As a follower of the lever action market, the 45-70 saw a major surge in popularity last year. All else being equal, an 1895 in 45-70 brought a premium over all other guns.......except the 357. I sold 4 1895 in 45-70 this year.....all to California, fwiw.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

The one exception being abandoning Marlin's MicroGroove rifling in favor of cold hammer forgings. I'm assuming this applies to whatever rimfires they end up producing, and obviously all their centerfires.

From your keyboard to Ruger's ears!

quote:
I really want to cast 30-30 rifle rounds, but I don't want the hassle of doing it for micro-rifling.

Really excited to see these new Marlins!

Ditto!

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8193 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
I sold 4 1895 in 45-70 this year.....all to California, fwiw.

It's to deal with those bruins running amok there.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
If I'm chooting something that costs me $2 a pop, it better taste good going down after I marinate it later on... As has been stated, my .30-30 will put 'em down just fine, thanks. I don't need a new, exotic caliber like a .30-21 or whatever they want to call it.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
I hope to god they deleted that ugly ass cross bolt safety!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:

Never gonna happen in 2021. Hell I am surprised by now they don’t have an app that makes you sign off on some kind of EULA before touching off every shot. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7620 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:

Meh. It's been there since 1983, so I've kinda gotten used to it. Besides, it gives a nice hole to add a saddle ring with a $30 mod. Cool

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8193 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Yeah, I have to agree that the .357 is probably gonna be the best seller. I already have one, so my personal itch is scratched...but it is truly an excellent rifle, and IMO Ruger is missing the boat by not putting the 1894 in .357 at the top of the list.

Ditto.

Glad Ruger is putting out new Ruglins but caliber choice could have been a bit better thought out.

Posts: 3122 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:

My first Marlin was pre-safety, and I'll admit that the first one that I acquired that had it kind of offended me (especially when I went to shoot the gun for the first time, forgot to take it off because I wasn't used to it being there, and though my gun was broken!), but I've learned to tolerate it.

It could be a lot worse. It's mechanically unobtrusive. It doesn't alter the action in any way, or impact the trigger pull. It's simple, and provides a positive hammer block which can actually be beneficial when tromping through the woods. It's easy to engage and disengage, and even cosmetically, it at least tries (admittedly not entirely successfully) to blend in with the receiver screws.

I don't think it's a necessary feature, but it's not a deal-breaker for me. There are way worse safety designs out there (Rossie Lever-action comes to mind, as well as the Heritage Rough Rider).

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear we may see those Ruger produced Marlins soon. The cross bolt safety on my 20+ year old Marlin does not offend me at allWink

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just as you can forget about S&W removing that silly lock from their revolvers, you can forget about Ruger removing the safety on these lever actions. As a matter of fact, given the design of these rifles, I'd say that the crossbolt safety is far more useful than the lock on S&W revolvers. Once a manufacturer starts adding safety features, they can't remove them, because the lawyers and the litigious consumers would eat the manufacturer's lunch in court, pushing the narrative that the manufacturer is making their product less safe, or then why did they ever add them in the first place.

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Just as you can forget about S&W removing that silly lock from their revolvers, you can forget about Ruger removing the safety on these lever actions. As a matter of fact, given the design of these rifles, I'd say that the crossbolt safety is far more useful than the lock on S&W revolvers. Once a manufacturer starts adding safety features, they can't remove them, because the lawyers and the litigious consumers would eat the manufacturer's lunch in court, pushing the narrative that the manufacturer is making their product less safe, or then why did they ever add them in the first place.

Doesn’t S&W currently produce the J frames with and without the lock?

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Unless something has changed recently, only the DA-only models- the Centennial series. No doubt, the idea is these revolvers already have a built-in measure of safety; no single action mode.

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
The new polymer framed M&P series has no lock either. It’s also DAO.

And, while I always hated the idea of a polymer revolver, it’s actually a really sweet shooting little gun.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I’ll be in line for the first one they make in .357!

I'm with you! It's the caliber I already have and would like to get a threaded option when available.

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1045 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Guys just skip the .357 and get it in a proven rifle cartridge, the 30-30. It was a great cartridge decades ago, and still is. Wink

I already have a 336 in .30-30. It is a fantastic cartridge and a fantastic rifle.

But I want to get back into cowboy action shooting so I need a pistol caliber lever action rifle. I could use .45 Colt but I’m setup to reload .38/.357 and I have a good amount of materials on hand.

I scooped up a Marlin in .357Mag when Bud's had them in stock a few years ago. Runs fine and no regrets.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38580 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If/when Ruger gets around to making Marlin 39A rifles, I do so hope that they are as good as the originals. I purchased my used 39A Mountie in the mid 1950s for $35. Some of the best money I ever spent. I have no idea how many squirrels, rabbits, prairie dogs, etc. that rifle has dispatched......many!! I still own it, and it is my favorite .22cal rifle to this day.

I just hope that Ruger doesn't cheapen the quality.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Well they aren’t gonna be $35.00. Wink. Me thinks They will probably be a weeee bit Smile more then the $350 or so adjusted price today as well.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7620 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post