SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger's first New Marlin Lever Action rifle!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger's first New Marlin Lever Action rifle! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I think you might just be correct on that. That was a lot of money for a young fella in that time period. I was working in the hay fields (bucking bales) for $.50/hour.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger is not listening to it's customers. I agree other calibers would have been better and for me personally, I would love to have a 357 or 44 pistol caliber first.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I doubt Ruger will produce the 39A, Marlin and Remington both fount it was too expensive to produce.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Those of you wanting .357s so badly, no judgement from me, but what is it you find that much more appealing than .30-30 or .44? I didn't include .22 because that's obviously a different list of boxes to check, but then again, is .357 just a punchier .22 for you guys?

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I want a levergun to match my Ruger New Vaquero in .357. That's the thing, ain't it? A levergun and revolver that eat from the same trough? It gives you a choice of a fair number of loadings, and in a carbine length barrel, stout .357 mag loads will put a deer down.

Also, and this is the big one, when ammo prices weren't ridiculous, .357 and .38 was pretty cheap to shoot and for sure cheaper than .44mag or .30-30. Yes, you're more into plinker territory with a .357 than either of those two calibers, and that's also a draw for me. It's a punchier .22 down at the lower end of the loading spectrum and something you could defend your home with up at the hotter end. More versatile, in any case.

When I owned an 1894c in .44 mag, I didn't do a whole lot of shooting because it wasn't cheap to shoot. When I traded it away, I did so with the promise to myself that I'd eventually replace it with a .357 I could afford to shoot more often.

Again, I'm not looking at wanting an 1894 as a deer gun. I've got other rifles for that. It ain't always about how hard it hits, sometimes it's the smile factor. I own two M1 carbines, and I'd consider a .357 lever gun to be in about the same ballpark in terms of what I'd realistically use it for and expect from it.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Those of you wanting .357s so badly, no judgement from me, but what is it you find that much more appealing than .30-30 or .44?

I got a 357 carbine to go with my 357 S&W64. One caliber to rule them all!

I already load 38 & 357, so the carbine is a no brainer. Also, I cast my own bullets, so price is not a factor..until I run out of primers again.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those of you wanting .357s so badly, no judgement from me, but what is it you find that much more appealing than .30-30 or .44? I didn't include .22 because that's obviously a different list of boxes to check, but then again, is .357 just a punchier .22 for you guys?

You've gotta shoot one to understand it. They've got more thump than a .22, but it doesn't beat you up at all. They also knock down steel with authority, which is not something you can do with a .22. My .30-30 can put a hurt on you with it's thin butt-plate, and my .45-70 kicks like a pissed off jackass. The .357, on the other hand, is pure fun, no pain. If you load them hot, you can get within a couple of hundred fps of a .30-30...it's not as far off as you'd think. It's plenty for deer inside of 50-75 yards, which is pretty much what you hunt around here.

I originally bought mine because rifle calibers used to be illegal for deer in Indiana, but for a brief period pistol caliber rifles became legal, with certain conditions. I've never actually taken a deer with it, but I fell in love with the gun. It's actually the gun that got me started filling my safe with Marlins. It's still the most accurate, well-balanced, and easy shooting carbine in my collection, although my .45 Colt comes close.

Like P220 Smudge and MikeNC said, it's also nice to be able to share ammo across platforms. I have a bunch of .357 revolvers, so it just made sense to have a rifle that shoots the same caliber. I got a Blackhawk in .45 Colt, so I had to get an 1894 to match, and recently picked up a S&W 69 in .44, so now I'm on the hunt for a .44 mag.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, same ammo as a revolver. OK, I get that and have done it with .44 in the past. Think I had 240gr loaded to around 1300fps at the time. Easy enough on the shoulder and not too bad from the Redhawk either.

Carry on.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
If/when Ruger gets around to making Marlin 39A rifles, I do so hope that they are as good as the originals. I purchased my used 39A Mountie in the mid 1950s for $35. Some of the best money I ever spent. I have no idea how many squirrels, rabbits, prairie dogs, etc. that rifle has dispatched......many!! I still own it, and it is my favorite .22cal rifle to this day.

I just hope that Ruger doesn't cheapen the quality.

Unfortunately, there's no way Ruger is going to make the 39a again the same as before. It is a product of the past, and like the Savage 99, would simply be too expensive for the modern consumer to accept. I'm glad I got one when I did.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:

As mentioned already, I like the idea of sharing a caliber with my Security Six. Another big factor for me personally, I missed out on getting a Marlin lever gun when they were still quality rifles. Always wanted one but by the time I had the disposable income the new ones were trash and the old ones were stupid expensive.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Many indoor ranges allow pistol caliber carbines but not high powered rifle/carbines.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
Found a bone stock Marlin 1894 in .357 at a local shop. Budget is expended for this month, threw 200 bucks on the counter. Pick it up next month.

Posts: 816 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
If/when Ruger gets around to making Marlin 39A rifles, I do so hope that they are as good as the originals. I purchased my used 39A Mountie in the mid 1950s for $35. Some of the best money I ever spent. I have no idea how many squirrels, rabbits, prairie dogs, etc. that rifle has dispatched......many!! I still own it, and it is my favorite .22cal rifle to this day.

I just hope that Ruger doesn't cheapen the quality.

Not to nitpick, but wouldn't your 39 Mountie be a 39M, not a 39A? I ask because it is also a favorite of mine. My uncle had one when I was a teenager in the sixties; it is one of the guns I learned to shoot with. My brother and I got Golden 39A's at that time. They had pistol grip stocks rather than the Mountie's straight stock. Also had longer barrels than the Mountie. We loved both of them, but I would kill for my uncle's 39M. I'm thinking it was probably from the early sixties, though it could have been the fifties.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
We're waiting for the first shipments of the new Ruger Marlins.
The .45-70 1895 was expected first.

PSYCH!!!!

It's Marlin swag:

I am in for the metal sign and the .38/357 leather cartridge belt. Maybe.

https://shopruger.com/Marlin/products/100031/

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
I guess one of the benefits of being a bit older and a gun hoarder I have the lever guns I wanted already. I have a Winchester 9422 Deluxe a Browning BL22 Grade I and 2 Browning B-92's one in .357 and one in .44 Mag and a Winchester 94 30WCF. All have no cross bolt safety as they were originally designed.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Big Grin Some of us got sidetracked by the fall of the Berlin Wall. A lot of unobtanium showed up cheap.

I wish they'd get it together, though. I've been holding out for a .45LC, and I'm curious to see how well Ruglin can make those.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Im glad I for the most part compiled my JM marlins and only had to suffer the sting of 1 Remlin to scratch my 45-70 itch. That said, I fully expect Ruger to do a much better job making Marlins than those chimps in Ilion. The number of nightmare kit guns I put my hands on far exceeds the acceptable ones from Remarlington.

FYI, for anyone looking for one, there is a nice stainless JM .44 on GB that is currently well under what equivalent Remlin are going for; even slightly under the going rate for 2+ years ago. If I didn't already have a customized verson of the same gun, I would be VERY tempted.

Mine, not the one for sale- chopped to 16.25”

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess those of us that are fans of the 219 Zipper, the 218 Bee
And the 25-20 have some waiting to do

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Are 45/70 and .444 Marlin REALLY that popular????

I mean the 336 is a given and the fact I am no industry analyst is a given Smile but it seems to me the .357 magnum models sold out crazy fast every batch they did. Seems like a .357 and a .22 would make for wider appeal. A 336 in “thutty thutty”, a .357 carbine and maybe a 45/70 for a big bore. Follow up with a 39 .22.

But like I said I am no analyst.

I am a little late to the conversation but I would not be surprised if releasing the possibly less desirable calibers first so they can add the ohh I have to have the new/first buyers to boost the total sale numbers of the calibers they know won’t sell as well.

Much like if Glock would have released the 43 before the 42 the total sale numbers for the 42 would have been very dismal.

I want a chopped .45-70 so we’ll see.
I wish they would have released the Model 60 first personally. I am in for 4 of them as soon as I can get them.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post