SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger's first New Marlin Lever Action rifle!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger's first New Marlin Lever Action rifle! Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
"September 27, 2021
Chris Killoy, CEO and President of Ruger, talks with Gun Talk’s Tom Gresham about the first Marlin rifle that will be released under Ruger this year, and others coming soon. Ruger purchased the Marlin product assets, intellectual property and designs, machinery, and raw materials in 2020, and has been setting up the new operation at their Mayodan, NC factory."

'One hundred tractor-trailer loads (machinery) to North Carolina ..., forged receivers, not investment cast, ... Ruger's cold hammer forged barrels, initial results we're getting are phenomenal regarding accuracy ..., maybe Ruger Single Action revolvers with Marlin Lever Action combos..."
First, maybe December 2021. Model 1895 .45-70, then .30-30's, then pistol caliber.

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
How about a spoiler for those of us who don't want to listen to an 18 minute phone interview? What is it?

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Stainless big-loop 1895 in .45-70, followed by the 336 in .30-30 and maybe an 1895 in .444 Marlin.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The two on my list are an 1894 in .44Mag and a 39M. Kinda sad it's probably going to be a significant wait, but maybe they'll have time to get the kinks worked out before they start making those.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’ll be in line for the first one they make in .357!

Posts: 13731 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Are 45/70 and .444 Marlin REALLY that popular????

I mean the 336 is a given and the fact I am no industry analyst is a given Smile but it seems to me the .357 magnum models sold out crazy fast every batch they did. Seems like a .357 and a .22 would make for wider appeal. A 336 in “thutty thutty”, a .357 carbine and maybe a 45/70 for a big bore. Follow up with a 39 .22.

But like I said I am no analyst.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7620 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Stainless big-loop 1895 in .45-70, followed by the 336 in .30-30 and maybe an 1895 in .444 Marlin.

Do what?

/slaps Ruger

1894C in .357! Come on!! This ain’t rocket science.

What this smells like is “Dude. If I bought Marlin, you know what I would make first?”

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I have to agree that the .357 is probably gonna be the best seller. I already have one, so my personal itch is scratched...but it is truly an excellent rifle, and IMO Ruger is missing the boat by not putting the 1894 in .357 at the top of the list.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve been looking for a .357 mag lever action for over a year now. The stores near me have .45 Colt and .44 Mag, along with plenty of .45-70 and .30-30 rifles, but nothing in .357.

I’d love a Ruger Marlin and am disappointed it’s not on the list.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

My WAG, FWLIW: They're "iconic" (at heart we all wanna be bearded manly men in Alaska) so this seems like good marketing.

Then again I'm ticked because I want a .45 Colt.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

I mean the 336 is a given and the fact I am no industry analyst is a given Smile but it seems to me the .357 magnum models sold out crazy fast every batch they did. Seems like a .357 and a .22 would make for wider appeal. A 336 in “thutty thutty”, a .357 carbine and maybe a 45/70 for a big bore. Follow up with a 39 .22.

But like I said I am no analyst.

This. In SPADES!!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think releasing the big boomers first is sort of a smart move, especially the 444 Marlin as that cartridge has even been neglected by Marlin for a long time, has a cult following, and fills that practical hunting gap: straight wall cartridge for deer hunting in those midwest states that mandate either straight wall cartridges or shotgun slugs.

Ruger fans and lever action fans may well pick up on one just because. Then people will realize it's kind of expensive / more than they need (and a tad recoil intensive), so they'll be looking forward to the .357 when it comes out.

I'll be watching to see what people say before throwing down coin anyhow.

Posts: 459 | Registered: February 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone mentioned the Model 39. Yes, that would be a nice addition. AFAIK, Henry is the only US-made lever action rifle. The Marlin 39 was made for decades before it was sadly dropped and it was a quality piece.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Forty+ dollar boxes of .30 WCF may be the reason why they didn't begin production with rifles chambered in that cartridge.

Two or more dollars a round is obsecene. That shit has to change.

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Guys just skip the .357 and get it in a proven rifle cartridge, the 30-30. It was a great cartridge decades ago, and still is. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19089 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Zero interest in that caliber. If I’m going to hunt, I’ll use a .30-06. I want a centerfire plinker, not a deer gun.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
According to the interview w/ the CEO, it sounds like Ruger has made something of a commitment to following the Marlin design rather then 'Rugerizing' it to fit into their existing manufacturing process. I could maybe see that changing in a few years, but it is reassuring now.

The one exception being abandoning Marlin's MicroGroove rifling in favor of cold hammer forgings. I'm assuming this applies to whatever rimfires they end up producing, and obviously all their centerfires.

Also noteworthy is that part of the deal included Ruger buying all of Marlin's W. I. P. (manufacturing term= Work in Progress) so it's likely that some of the first guns out the door will likely either be completely Remington/ Marlin or potentially a hybrid of Remington/ Marlin and Ruger component/ assembly manufacturing.

It's always wise to be cautious about products when a new manufacturer takes over production, but Ruger seems to have worked to integrate Marlin designs into their manufacturing process and a great customer service reputation, and I'm betting they understand the stakes involved in getting these first Marlins made right, and will be quick to handle any complaints.

It was also interesting to hear the CEO acknowledge that Marlin most likely manufactured more Model 60s, than Ruger did 10/22s... especially considering that the current issue of AR just declared that the "10/22 is the most popular semi-auto . 22 of all time", in an article on the left-hand 10/22.

Really excited to see these new Marlins!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Marlin 1895 in .45/70 was a no-brainer. I bought two, and bought them to give away as wedding presents.

If they put one out, 1895 or 1894 style, in .41 magnum, I'll be all over that. Great companion for a .41 Blackhawk.

Also, they should bring back the .41 Blackhawk.

And same chambering in a Vaquero.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Guys just skip the .357 and get it in a proven rifle cartridge, the 30-30. It was a great cartridge decades ago, and still is. Wink

The .357 is actually pretty darn potent out of an 18" barrel, especially if you load it with slow burning powders. I've pushed 158gr bullets up to 1700FPS out of mine. It's not quite up to .30-30 standards, but it's no slouch, either.

I have a .30-30, too, but if I had to pick just one it would be the .357. It's just too much fun at the range.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
In the Marlin lever gun category, I have 2 JM .357’s, 4 .44’s, 5 30-30’s, 2 39’s and a customized 1895 45-70. The two I’d love to see first are the 1894C and 39 in Mountie trim. Honestly, I’m just glad to see Ruger getting started on releasing any. Once the gates open, they’ll start pouring out.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post