SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Is this the first sign CZ is breathing life into Colt? Update Pg.3 First the 6940 now the Colt M5
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this the first sign CZ is breathing life into Colt? Update Pg.3 First the 6940 now the Colt M5 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
But they generally haven't because there hasn't been a military market for mid-length gas

Indeed; however, with CZ running the brand with a more commercial/contemporary focus, this may change.

Posts: 2129 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Ok, how about 16" M4's suck when compared to a middy gas system. Carbine uppers are great for pistol length bbls but for a rifle a carbine gas system has no advantage.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I’ll throw a wrench in the argument.

I have the Colt midlength gas rifle. They have options for those that want them. Both are equally reliable.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Rather than junking my pre(94)ban Colt carbines (16” barrels with carbine gas systems) should I have the original gas port plugged and a mid gas system port drilled and replace the carbine gas block & tube with a midi gas block & tube?

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't see a reason to junk your 16" carbine gas barrel(s). They still work -- I assume. It's just that the mid-length gas systems work better.

I've never heard of plugging one gas port and drilling another. Drilling a new port is pretty inexpensive, from what I've seen on gunsmithing service lists. I have no idea on the cost for plugging a port, and doing it right so the plug doesn't come out. And making certain a small shard of metal isn't sticking down into the bore.

One option is just to shoot a bunch of ammo through your current barrels, improve your skills, and shoot out the barrel. Then you can replace the barrel with whatever tickles your fancy.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can re-barrel the upper with anything you want. Lots of great options out there for not a ton of money.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
You can re-barrel the upper with anything you want. Lots of great options out there for not a ton of money.

Bingo, especially with holiday sales. Options include steel types, barrel profiles, twist rates, surface treatments. You can end up with a barrel that shoots better than one made by Colt, for a lower cost.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem in replacing the barrel on this particular gun, is the likely need of a proprietary wrench, and the fact that a mid-length system would have exposed gas tube, forward of the handguard. So, if you got or made a wrench, you're still married to a carbine or shorter gas system; not to mention the gas block doesn't play well with modification. The gun is no doubt born of military parameters, revolving around carbine gas, and shorter barrels; Colt slapped a 16" barrel in it, to enable commercial sales. The receiver is cool; I'd like to have one with a shorter barrel. The carbine gas is indeed unfortunate, on a 16".

Posts: 2129 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bingo for KSGM. You can't just slap midlength gas on the 6940 or "anything you want". Not sure if that's what was really meant in the above posts or just discussing changing gas length in general, but OK.
You do need a special wrench for this barrel.
This whole modify this gun because of the gas system is silly. They run mint as is and by all accounts the new one is at least as good as the older ones. Buy it if you like it otherwise don't. Junking uppers because they have carbine gas is IMO beyond dumb.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
A pre-94 Colt upper? I would leave it alone. For the cost to refit it you are already looking at base models over at BCM for new uppers. And if you ever want to sell, there are plenty on people who would happily pay for a 'collector' AR, or a pre-ban AR in an AWB state.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
You do need a special wrench for this barrel.
This whole modify this gun because of the gas system is silly. They run mint as is and by all accounts the new one is at least as good as the older ones. Buy it if you like it otherwise don't. Junking uppers because they have carbine gas is IMO beyond dumb.

I’m not sure what “You do need a special wrench for this barrel.” I’ve got a couple different barrel wrenches but I’ve never tried to remove a Colt barrel.

I guess the sarcasm was lost in text, there is no way I’d junk or even re-drill a pre-94 Colt anything. Even my Colt M16, the skinny barreled A1 upper with triangle guards, stock & grip, winter trigger guard are all safely packed away. Just because I prefer modern furniture & different uppers, I still respect the original configuration.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The 6940 requires a specific wrench to get the barrel nut off because the rail and upper are one piece. We're kind of in a bit of a thread drift.

Posts: 4153 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
The 6940 requires a specific wrench to get the barrel nut off because the rail and upper are one piece. We're kind of in a bit of a thread drift.

Thanks Dan

I've got a Bren 805, Scorpion EVO and several CZ pistols, I'm confident they have the ability to bring them back.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I’m curious.

Over the weekend, my LGS guy and I looked through a pile of 6920s he has. Some are a year old, some are recent shipments. We also looked at a couple of used guns that were 2-3 years old.

Upon inspection, we couldn’t detect a difference in any of them. The boxes of the recent guns didn’t differentiate from older boxes. Some of the older rifles had 3xxxx serial number ranges, the newer ones started with an 8.

Google has nothing to offer besides a lot of speculation, and in-fighting on gun boards.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
^^^
These are CZ USA made rifles. They bought Colt and are making Colt brand firearms now. So, Gen 3 I guess.

If you mean the actual company named "CZ-USA" this is not true. Both CZ-USA (which owns Dan Wesson), Colt, and Colt Canada are all under Colt CZ Group North America, which is owned by Colt CZ Group. These (and the other North American Colt guns) are being made and/or assembled in West Hartford. While CZ-USA was making stuff (all CZ stuff, no Colt) in Kansas City that is all being transferred to West Hartford and KC manufacturing is being shut down.

CZ-USA did not buy Colt nor have they been making anything for them.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My LGS got one of these. Seems very nice. I wish they would have implemented some ambi controls on the lower, but I reckon the price would climb, if they did. The upper receiver is badass. I like quad rails, and I have always liked the 6940 anyway, so I am certainly biased. That being said, I'd take one of these over something like a DD rifle. On the topic of the gas system length, couldn't the negative effects be mitigated by a reduced gas port aperture?

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Or a heavier buffer.

Posts: 4153 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Or a heavier buffer.

Yeah. Gun comes with an H.
One of the BRT gas tubes would likely be an easy, effective upgrade worth considering as well.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
One the plus side, adding the H2 and some ambi safety/charging handle and we're still under a DDM4V7 much less a Mk 18 or M4A1. I swear if I see an upper in the $900 range, I'm buying one.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Well, I tried ordering one from my FFL and according to them, they can easily get me any Colt I want except this one because it's out of stock. I tried having them search for uppers and one distributor had an 11.5" Mono upper from $1299. I might as well spend the extra $100 to get the full lower as well. I hope it's not, but this just could be a case that Colt had some at a warehouse and pushing them until they're out.