SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any 556 Owners Still Around
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any 556 Owners Still Around Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I found a FB group for 556 owners, and mixed with this tread prompted me to do a little makeover on my oldest 556. Swapped my previous light setup for a Surefire Scout Pro 340C, and swapped out the old school Magpul AFG for a BCM vertical (angled) grip. Swapped the original Magpul XTM rail panels for the newer XTM Enhanced (textured) rail panels. I'll post up some pictures when I can!

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
3 xi’s in the collection…

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1948 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Still own this one. Mailed a letter to the boys saying take it off the registry, never heard back. Wish I could do business like that. Don't get to see this one very often these days. Mad

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought one of the original 556 ER's back in what I think was 09'. My wife's cousin worked for them in NH and got me the "friends and family" deal. Loved that thing for about a year but something just wasn't right about it. Finally flipped it over and placed it on the counter on the rifle's rail and realized it was canted one direction by many degrees. Can't believe it left the factory like that. Sent it back and they sent me a 556-A1. Wasn't very impressed so I eventually sold it. Wish I had held onto it to sell these days as they're going for quite a bit of money. Even the crappy Israeli diopters and mags by themselves. I just stick with the Swiss stuff now.

Posts: 435 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mailed a letter to the boys saying take it off the registry, never heard back.

Is your current address the same as when you registered it? Also, did you wet sign it? Those are the two things that have given me problems, when it comes to removing from the registry.

Where the ol' 556 is concerned, I made the mistake of visiting the 550 owners group FB page yesterday; lots of badass guns on there. The 55x is my favorite rifle, other than the AR15, but it'll never be as practical, in my mind, due to it's heft and relative bulk. I have retired a couple Swiss shooters of mine, and put them in long-term storage, after a detail cleaning. I still have three or four rifles in the regular safe, as well as a few other uppers that are ready to go, if I want to shoot a particular configuration. I am actually picking away at a 556 project right now: a 551A1 with welded sight and crest, cut-down barrel with pinned/welded can, SF weaponlight handguard, on a black steel Swiss lower with Swiss stock. I love the 55x, and I have given it every chance, in a contemporary military use-case, but the AR wins that battle, for me. I hope to be able to afford to fully "gucci" my 553 eventually. There's a couple really slick ones on that FB group. Speaking of the 55x heft, a silencer makes it really bad, and a can is non-negotiable, for me. I love the classic 551/2/3 looks, but I will not shoot one of those guns without a can; too damn loud.

Posts: 2081 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I have a 556 Patrol (short gas system) that I SBR’d years ago. Fantastic rifle, love the diopter sights, but as a reloader, she is HARD on brass. Even with a custom gas port for a suppressor, it gives a nice crease to the shoulder of every case before flinging it into the next county. I am mildly hesitant to shoot it due to lack of replacement springs for it (possibly obtainable from Europe, I’m told). That said, the wonderful diopter sights make it easy to shoot without any optic, and it will digest any variety of 5.56 ammunition with extreme gusto, making it my go to SHTF rifle.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
I have a 556 Patrol (short gas system) that I SBR’d years ago. Fantastic rifle, love the diopter sights, but as a reloader, she is HARD on brass. Even with a custom gas port for a suppressor, it gives a nice crease to the shoulder of every case before flinging it into the next county. I am mildly hesitant to shoot it due to lack of replacement springs for it (possibly obtainable from Europe, I’m told). That said, the wonderful diopter sights make it easy to shoot without any optic, and it will digest any variety of 5.56 ammunition with extreme gusto, making it my go to SHTF rifle.

Yeah all the Sig 55x rifles are hard on brass. Doesn't wolff springs have some replacement springs for the 556 platform?

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
My KISS config...this is the end of normal 556 production guns with ambi lower (believe from the XI as it required a spiral pin vs. old school solid pin to install the adapter...maybe just specific to the adapter which is from the 556XI).

Posts: 3062 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice and simple

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
My KISS config...this is the end of normal 556 production guns with ambi lower (believe from the XI as it required a spiral pin vs. old school solid pin to install the adapter...maybe just specific to the adapter which is from the 556XI).

Great looking gun! Love the classic Swiss vibe up front and modern stock out back. I’m a sucker for these 556’s especially with prices dropping so much lately. Found a good deal on another keymod xi rifle today so it’s headed my way. Between 556xi’s hitting the $1,200 level, ARX100s creeping toward $1,100 and Bren 2 carbines out there under $1,600, it’s a great time to pick up non-AR piston guns.

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1948 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a 556 SWAT 7.62x39 (it was tagged as such) in a north Georgia pawn shop yesterday. Are these models $2,100.00+ now?

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post