SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any 556 Owners Still Around
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any 556 Owners Still Around Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
What optic do you have mounted??

https://www.primaryarms.com/pr...yclops-gen-2-reticle

Posts: 32 | Location: B'ham, AL | Registered: June 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
anyone believe these are still a relative buy in 2024???...

for the few I see the prices are quite high compared to when SIG was making them but I still like the SIGARMS/SIG Sauer 556

any thoughts or experiences you care to share would be appreciated

Bill

Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer*P220*P226*P228*P230*P245*SPC2009*P365

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership

Posts: 2416 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly, not really. I love mine as it was my first "black rifle" and my 55x's will never depart my collection, but I wouldn't be buying one in 2024 over say a Bren 2 or 3.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 989 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SiGagain:

for the few I see the prices are quite high compared to when SIG was making them but I still like the SIGARMS/SIG Sauer 556

Bill

I don’t see it, unless it’s something a little uncommon and at a good price. The only ones I kept were my 551A1, because it’s effectively a Swiss 551 clone, and my 556xi in 7.62 x 39, because of the caliber.

Posts: 3415 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
thanks guys...the one I saw that looked new on the wall at LGS was in fact well used and not worth the price of admission...

Bill

Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer*P220*P226*P228*P230*P245*SPC2009*P365

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership

Posts: 2416 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SiGagain:

Bill

Historically, for me, the p556 10” pistol version gets attractive whenever they can be negotiated to $750 and the P556xi 5.56 pistols become tempting at $999. But with lighter short stroke piston guns like the 10.5” brigade Makasi now priced at $999 and Bren 2 pistols available around $1,300 once in a while, it makes the Sigs less exciting.

Heck, even second hand Sig Spear LTs are going for great prices at this point. That’s a serious combat ready gun by comparison.

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1956 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kept one 556 Classic, partially because I invested enough into tricking it out. Its a nice “length” with stock folded and lighter than HK93 with a collapsible stock (not even going to mention a convenience of a STANAG magazine). Thank God I bought several replacement Piston spring some years back, because for whatever reason, two original Sig have failed on me. Huge fan of a side charging handle. Not finicky on ammo. Should have kept my 551, but needed quick $$ and those Swiss made were already in demand. Now, no way can I justify the price to replace it.
Anyone has a lead on a folder mechanism for 556 so I can replace my wearing one?
Thanks.

Posts: 4 | Registered: September 04, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
556 Classic was the Swiss style stock no?

Posts: 3159 | Location: Loudoun VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
I have a 556xi with a Swiss style stock that I still keep around. I had wanted to get back into a 556 classic but after scoring two of them in a year, then really playing around with them and feeling it out, I loved the aesthetic and hated almost everything else. The fit and finish left a lot to be desired, the ergos werent very good, the crappy chinese metal sights felt cheap and didnt work well...if I could have had a true Swiss 551 I never would have dreamed of parting with it, but the American version defintely didnt do it for me. After I sold both of those off I came across the 556xi for an insane great deal, and snatched it up just because. A cheap but unfaithful copy is better than an expensive but unfaithful copy.

Posts: 4480 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as I know and remember, Classic was swiss stock, Classic SWAT was a collapsing folder.

Posts: 4 | Registered: September 04, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post