SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any 556 Owners Still Around
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any 556 Owners Still Around Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Not sure what he used as an adhesion promoter. He also painted another one for me in his "midnight bronze" technique which is like burnt bronze dusted with carbon black as a final top coat, which gives it a slight color shift. I sold that one to help offset a 553 purchase (wish I would have kept it now but can't keep them all I guess).

Here it was as originally assembled with MFI diopter rail and black gas block and Swiss front sight. I replaced the black gas block and sight with a grey Swiss set I had to match the rail and welded Swiss diopter shown in the earlier pics

additional pics here: https://imgur.com/a/14cORf5

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Here's the other one. I misspoke...this is the one I reassembled myself. I put a ShootingSight trigger in it.

If I happened to get it back at some point, I'd have the barrel painted black. I had asked for it to be left alone but somehow that got mixed up in the long time my buddy had it at the shop. That's one of the things about having a friend do the work for you and not bugging them about it.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
Still have mine, still love it, but don't shoot it much anymore due to lack of repair parts available. Purchased from a member here, but I don't remember who it was Frown

I've never concerned myself with repair parts, I've only got a couple thousand through my gen2 but 7-8K through my P556SBR, and I dont know how many through my 551 & 552 as they're both LEO trade-ins. The 55X, like the HK9X and even the AK is a much more robust design than the AR plus there are several sources for new and used parts.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still have mine, still love it, but don't shoot it much anymore due to lack of repair parts available.

Unless it's an heirloom, a gun that you won't shoot due to a lack of parts is gun of no value. It would be better to sell the rifle and invest the money in something that you're willing to use.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Bought mine when they first came out, you know the ones with the canted rails. Mine had no cant. Got rid of the fishgill handguard, put on a series of stocks. Finally settled on a Ace stock. Shoots great, no problems in all of these years.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted a 556R or 556xi pistol in 7.62X39, particularly if it was a pistol version. Just never have been able to track one down.

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Still have mine, still love it, but don't shoot it much anymore due to lack of repair parts available.

Unless it's an heirloom, a gun that you won't shoot due to a lack of parts is gun of no value. It would be better to sell the rifle and invest the money in something that you're willing to use.

Not an heirloom, but it has been flawless in the time I've owned it, and believe me, I fired many rounds through it. I'll keep it, still searching for replacement parts, as I love it's reliability. Probably the one gun I will put the thermal scope on that I just bought.

If needed, it WILL be put into service, but I'll let the others in the stable keep me in practice for now.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
Two P556’s inbound. Been without one for a few months.

free online photo sharing

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1948 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Why two P556's instead of one 553P?

Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Why two P556's instead of one 553P?

I’m going to do a video comparison of side folding braced, side charging, stanag mag compatible 5.56 firearms that can be had (with folding mechanism, brace, sights and cheap red dot) for under $2k. Settled on P556 instead of P556xi given the market for values then an xi popped up at a great price this morning so I grabbed it. They’ll be compared against the M85NP, Galil Ace, Bren 2, FM15, BRN180S and PSA JAKL.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Nice A. where did you get? Private sale or dealer?
I love the P556. Going to try a suppressor on mine. I need to change the muzzle device. Is the P556 barrel thread tapered or flat?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Nice A. where did you get? Private sale or dealer?
I love the P556. Going to try a suppressor on mine. I need to change the muzzle device. Is the P556 barrel thread tapered or flat?

The P556 was from an individual on a forum (transferred between dealers for BG check) and the P556xi I grabbed from a dealer off gunbroker this morning. I’m not sure on threads. I’ve replaced the birdcages with PWS FS556 brakes off scars before but it’s been years.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
still have mine

its a tack driver

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I wished Sig would bring the 556 back. It would be such a huge hit.

PGT, that snow camo unit is a piece of art. A real beauty.

Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wished Sig would bring the 556 back. It would be such a huge hit.

PGT, that snow camo unit is a piece of art. A real beauty.

Agree on all counts. I actually think the P556xi compares pretty well to the current crop, except maybe for it’s weight. I’d take it over an MCX too.

Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need to change the muzzle device. Is the P556 barrel thread tapered or flat?

The barrel thread is a standard 1/2x28 which is not tapered.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks blf. But I am not talking about the thread but the shoulder behind the thread. I need to remove the muzzle device and washer to install one that is a suppressor mount. And read somewhere that all Sig barrel shoulders where tapered vs 90 degree squared and I would need some kind of adapter.

Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
What suppressor will you be using? Sounds like you need to determine what manufacturer you will be using and get the appropriate adapter, if needed. I don't believe yours it tapered. If your barrel looks like this then it will need an adapter.

I think this tapered barrel is on the newer 5.56 rifles and the SIG556 series was never made with this type of barrel. I could be wrong too, just ask my wife. Big Grin

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I will be using YHM muzzle brake. it has some flat washers (shims) that go behind the brake. They supply several so you can put the right thickness in to orient the brake correctly. They need a flat shoulder to back up against.

I also have a direct thread 30 cal. suppressor that I can use a 5/8x24x1/2x28 bushing and thread directly on the barrel as well.

Thanks for the help.

posted Hide Post
A visual inspection of the barrel, even with the current device still installed, will tell you that there is a conventional ninety degree shoulder. Your YHM brake, with it's indexing washers, and your direct thread adapters will all work fine on your P556.

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post