SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger's new Mini-14, can you say The A-Team?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger's new Mini-14, can you say The A-Team? Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted

18.5" government barrel, I don't think this has been on a Mini 14 in decades. Walnut furniture with stainless folder. Limited availability.

https://ruger.com/products/min...specSheets/5895.html

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16723 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Blast from the past. Interesting factoid, on the original show those were not select-fire AC-556s as is commonly believed, but ordinary semi-auto Mini-14s fired quickly by the actors (you can see them vigorously working the trigger) with full auto sound effects dubbed over.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16378 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
1850.00 retail

Ruger can blow it out their ass.

Posts: 107700 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I've thought I'd like to have another Mini... but dang! Not at that price! Not even at the 85% or so of retail, usually seen at my favorite shop.

God bless America.

Posts: 13518 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
1850.00 retail

Ruger can blow it out their ass.

Yeah, even their basic Ranch model with blued barrel is $1259.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16723 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Shows as $1524 on some sites. Still wild, but it is the coolest mini. If I recall they were going for 3k plus in that set up on the secondary market

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3601 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Hey Ruger, how about you figure out how to make it accurate instead of exploiting TV nostalgia to sell over-priced meme guns with Hollywood bling? Sadly, the answer to my question is that they'll likely sell every one of these...even at $1800 Frown.

I like the idea behind the mini, and wish they'd put some honest development effort into the platform. If they could find a way to make a plain-jane accurate version that accepts AR mags, and sell it for $800-900, it could be a really practical tool.

Posts: 8641 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
TV nostalgia to sell over-priced meme guns with Hollywood bling?

Accurately describes half of my collection. I have an old Mini in a factory side folding stock, not a GB.

Posts: 9980 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone remember Donald Sutherlands quote in “The Dirty Dozen”?

They sure are pretty, but can they fight?

Yeah, it looks nice, but at that price point? And unless they fixed the accuracy issues that the Mini’s had for $1800+ I can get / build a super reliable, super accurate AR.

I’m gonna pass on this one

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8361 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much for a stainless Mini and Samson folding stock? A lot less, I bet. The Minis on the show didn’t have the bayo lug/front sight, so not needed if you want the classic A-team look.

Posts: 3340 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like a trend with Ruger. I was disappointed with the pricing of the new Marlins and now a $1500+ Mini? Have they lost their minds? Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16116 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
A rip off for sure. HARD Pass..

Posts: 2168 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
It doesn't look like you can easily mount a red dot sight as well. Which for the price, I would have expected.
By this, I mean a rail already installed.

Edited: maybe it does. My brother has an older one and the rail covered the top of ejection. It worked but it was clunky. Their tactical model has a top rail that makes more sense.

Posts: 12473 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
My brother has an older one and the rail covered the top of ejection.

I assume with that setup he never removes the bolt for cleaning? Because it's bad enough to get one out and back in without a rail over the top of the ejection port....I'd imagine it's about impossible with one!

Posts: 8641 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
...unless they fixed the accuracy issues that the Mini’s had for $1800+ I can get / build a super reliable, super accurate AR.

Yep. As I see it, the only strong reason to own a Mini-14 over an AR15 is that the legislative sheepdips in one's area won't allow AR15s.

I began shooting my first AR15 at a public range. As my accuracy skills improved, I got to know the Range Officers. One RO said that he long considered all rifles more accurate than he was...until he shot a Mini-14. I thought, OK, you're just a grumpy old guy. Then I shot a Mini-14. Yep, I am decidedly more accurate than a Mini-14.

Posts: 7885 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
^ Even I am more accurate than a Mini-14, and that's a much more damning indictment of the gun than comparing it to your skillet, fritz! Big Grin

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Bought one at the start of the AWB for 1k but sold it after the novelty quickly wore off. Not a fan of skeleton stock.

Q

Posts: 26462 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I wish it had the correct vintage rear sight, then that would be really tempting.
I always wanted a GB model back when I had my mini in ‘83. Along with factory 20 rd mags.
But Bill Ruger did not trust his customers to be law abiding.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Ruger, how about you figure out how to make it accurate instead of exploiting TV nostalgia to sell over-priced meme guns with Hollywood bling? Sadly, the answer to my question is that they'll likely sell every one of these...even at $1800 .

I like the idea behind the mini, and wish they'd put some honest development effort into the platform. If they could find a way to make a plain-jane accurate version that accepts AR mags, and sell it for $800-900, it could be a really practical tool.

Your exactly right. It could be something special & give folks something different & practical. At that price & until they fix some issues it's not going to sell to the masses. Too bad. It really has potential.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an original GB folder. Not that I planned on selling anytime soon but wonder how it will affect value. I bought it for about $600? during the awb as a LEO, as they were our only approved rifles at the time. Even back then we had a chief who feared "black rifles".

Posts: 342 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post