SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger's new Mini-14, can you say The A-Team?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Ruger's new Mini-14, can you say The A-Team? Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
At that MSRP, it's a pass. While a neat gun, it is not comfortable to shoot with that stock.
 
Posts: 6804 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
...unless they fixed the accuracy issues that the Mini’s had for $1800+ I can get / build a super reliable, super accurate AR.

Yep. As I see it, the only strong reason to own a Mini-14 over an AR15 is that the legislative sheepdips in one's area won't allow AR15s.

The sheepdips in my area won't even allow the Mini for purchase in any of its current forms. So for better or worse, the $1550 or $1800 or whatever this will bloody sell for isn't going to become the usual 1st-world issue in this neck of the woods.


-MG
 
Posts: 1897 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
1850.00 retail




I like my Mini well enough, but I would never pay the current going rate of $1100 for a normal one, let alone $1850.
 
Posts: 32323 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Well, that's too bad on the price. Ruger will choke on this one. When I heard they were releasing it again in this configuration, I decided I was finally going to get one. Seeing the MSRP, hard pass. Mini's are just "ok" to begin with, certainly not worth hundreds many hundreds more than a quality AR. I'd have been in for maybe $850 plus or minus.
 
Posts: 811 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
Well, that's too bad on the price. Ruger will choke on this one. When I heard they were releasing it again in this configuration, I decided I was finally going to get one. Seeing the MSRP, hard pass. Mini's are just "ok" to begin with, certainly not worth hundreds many hundreds more than a quality AR. I'd have been in for maybe $850 plus or minus.


Have you see how much regular Mini 14’s cost? A plain blued ranch rifle has a MSRP of $1259.
 
Posts: 3303 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Wow. I have a stainless earlier model (before the ranch receiver). It's an old St. John's County sheriff's gun that I bought used in 2012 or so.

I think I paid $450 for it. Accuracy isn't horrible on mine, but it's not in the class of my Sig AR.

I can't believe they have gotten so expensive, with cheap ARs readily available. I was at the last Orlando gun show, and there was a show special on the Smith & Wesson Sport for $499.



"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
 
Posts: 12714 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Just got back from a gun show where I saw at least two listed for $1250 and $1450. And they weren't even the good ones, or rare...just the old wood-stocked skinny barrel type. People are nuts.
 
Posts: 8192 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alyron:
I have an original GB folder. I bought it for about $600?


The stock is worth close to that now.
 
Posts: 20983 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Just saw some show up in the wild for $1388 from Grabagun



"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."
 
Posts: 3556 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
Just saw some show up in the wild for $1388 from Grabagun


Is that for this new folding stock model?




“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
 
Posts: 5538 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Even then, that's about $500 too high to interest me.
 
Posts: 32323 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
1850.00 retail




I like my Mini well enough, but I would never pay the current going rate of $1100 for a normal one, let alone $1850.

LOL Yeah, I have a 1990's stainless Ranch Rifle (mini with shitty sights) and I love it (mostly because of the A-team but also because of Romancing the Stone, and I love the Garand, M14, and M1 Carbine actions, and the mini is a mix of all three), but I'd never buy one at full MSRP today. You can just get the Sampson stock for like $300 if you already have a Mini-14 or find one in a dumpster behind the pawn shop
https://www.samson-mfg.com/a-t...er-mini-14-copy.html


---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.
 
Posts: 3148 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
At that MSRP, it's a pass. While a neat gun, it is not comfortable to shoot with that stock.


Silly rabbit... you don't shoot these from the shoulder. They're made for 80's hipfire as Mad Murdock intended


---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.
 
Posts: 3148 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
Just saw some show up in the wild for $1388 from Grabagun


Is that for this new folding stock model?


Yes, exact one



"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."
 
Posts: 3556 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I guess not. Sad, as these rifles are in no way worth that kind of money, unless you live in some silly area where these are legal and normal AR's are not, if that place still exists.

With what it takes to make them, how they operate and their accuracy potential, they should never be worth more than their long standing black rifle competitor, the Colt AR. Those are easily found now from $850-1000 depending on the configuration.

quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
Well, that's too bad on the price. Ruger will choke on this one. When I heard they were releasing it again in this configuration, I decided I was finally going to get one. Seeing the MSRP, hard pass. Mini's are just "ok" to begin with, certainly not worth hundreds many hundreds more than a quality AR. I'd have been in for maybe $850 plus or minus.


Have you see how much regular Mini 14’s cost? A plain blued ranch rifle has a MSRP of $1259.
 
Posts: 811 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
I guess not. Sad, as these rifles are in no way worth that kind of money...
No, they are not. For less than half the price of what Ruger is now charging for the Mini-14, you can buy a more accurate AR-15, with modularity that the Mini cannot begin to compete. AR-15s don't have bolts that require a fitted firing pin. Optics-mounting options for the AR blow the Mini out of the water. Magazines are far more available and less expensive. The list goes on and on. I own several Minis including a couple of the newer 581 series rifles, but I didn't pay anywhere near what Ruger is asking now.
 
Posts: 106900 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
1850.00 retail

Ruger can blow it out their ass.


I'm inclined to agree. However I expect that Fans of these made up "Special Editions" will claim that they will be worth millions in 20 years. Just like all those darned near infinite Sig Sauer Gun of the Month editions.


I've stopped counting.
 
Posts: 5532 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
1850.00 retail

Ruger can blow it out their ass.


That’s for damn sure.


_________________________


“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson
 
Posts: 8768 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Not trying to be "that" guy but how many fans of the A Team can there still be? WE are the guys who watched that show and we are laughing at the price tag, let alone the nearly obsolescent (not really but comparatively) nature of the Mini 14. Especially with that stock.

Is there an underground A Team fan club that I am unaware of? Cool show but not $1850 cool. lol
 
Posts: 7194 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Not trying to be "that" guy but how many fans of the A Team can there still be? WE are the guys who watched that show and we are laughing at the price tag, let alone the nearly obsolescent (not really but comparatively) nature of the Mini 14. Especially with that stock.

Is there an underground A Team fan club that I am unaware of? Cool show but not $1850 cool. lol
I'm guessing they're betting on the 1970s-80s retro craze that's going through music, cars, motorcycles, AR-15s, etc. I don't think they'll sell many of these at anywhere near MSRP though.


---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.
 
Posts: 3148 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger's new Mini-14, can you say The A-Team?

© SIGforum 2024