SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    bought a PTR 91!!!!!!!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bought a PTR 91!!!!!!! Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Be sure to treat that Chinese ammo as potentially corrosive. That means flushing the bore, bolt, and interior of the receiver with water shortly after shooting, and then cleaning and oiling as normal that same day.

When shooting corrosive ammo, I bring a spray bottle of Windex with me to the range. It's easy to carry, and easy to use to hose out the gun after shooting.

Luckily, with a PTR 91, it's a bit easier to flush since it's a blowback action, so there's no gas system to worry about cleaning out. Shooting corrosive ammo in gas-operated semiautos can be a pain in the ass, especially on the more complicated early gas semis.

(Bolt rifles are dead simple to clean after shooting corrosive ammo, even more so than a blowback rifle like the PTR. Since the bolt stays closed during the entire firing process, there's no residue making its way back into the receiver. As a result, you only have to worry about hosing the bore and the bolt face on a bolt rifle.)

Posts: 32415 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Be sure to treat that Chinese ammo as potentially corrosive. That means flushing the bore, bolt, and interior of the receiver with water shortly after shooting, and then cleaning and oiling as normal that same day.

When shooting corrosive ammo, I bring a spray bottle of Windex with me to the range. It's easy to carry, and easy to use to hose out the gun after shooting.

Luckily, with a PTR 91, it's a bit easier to flush since it's a blowback action, so there's no gas system to worry about cleaning out. Shooting corrosive ammo in gas-operated semiautos can be a pain in the ass, especially on the more complicated early gas semis.

(Bolt rifles are dead simple to clean after shooting corrosive ammo, even more so than a blowback rifle like the PTR. Since the bolt stays closed during the entire firing process, there's no residue making its way back into the receiver. As a result, you only have to worry about hosing the bore and the bolt face on a bolt rifle.)

Wow! IF... It was a zombie apocalypse and I had exhausted all my stockpile of brass cased ammo and there was a truckload of steel cased ammo across the street, I would consider myself out of ammo and I’d fix bayonets.

My guns will NEVER see steel cased ammo.

To each their own I guess.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and that as they say would be beyond stupid. There are guns that eat steel cased as a matter of design (think AK) and there are those that don't care (think HK 91) and there are those that have extra wear (think AR). But in the end the latter is just more wear and in the zombie apocalypse you won't care. to each their own.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
and that as they say would be beyond stupid. There are guns that eat steel cased as a matter of design (think AK) and there are those that don't care (think HK 91) and there are those that have extra wear (think AR). But in the end the latter is just more wear and in the zombie apocalypse you won't care. to each their own.

Hey, shoot all the cheap ass steel cased ammo you want... Just don't ask to borrow any of my rifles. Big Grin

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Good for you! By the way, good place for mags and parts is robertrtg.com. With the www of course.
We had fun with ours.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am already a fan of RTG, have received several orders and are waiting on a steel lower by Bill Springfield now. Than I will blow a bunch of that cheap ammo through it!

Posts: 446 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Good for you! Nice to know you’ve already found RTG, lol. Have fun!

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Kind of tapping an old thread here.

These seem to be quite the gun for $1300 or so. Am I missing something and looks like mags are like $10?
.308 battle rifle seems like fun.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25346 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
https://www.robertrtg.com/stor...NEW-POF-181p2172.htm

"Brand new port buffer for HK style rifles. These are the best quality available, real military production parts that are currently in use by more than 25 countries around the globe.

Port Buffers protect your brass, the people you shoot with and the finish of your valuable rifle. Shells will drop to the ground instead of flying 30 feet away. This is a must for range shooters.

The Port Buffer also limits the damage caused to valuable brass for reloading.

Will work for all 7.62 HK style rifles including HK91/G3, PTR91, V51, SAR3/8, FMP, CETME and all clones. Use on HK93/33 requires the forward 1/2" of sheet metal to be trimmed (easy mod).

Port Buffers snap over the top of the receiver. No welding, screws or permanent modifications are required. Furthermore this is the latest Generation port buffer with smooth clamping surface that won't scratch your receiver when being installed or removed.

Will not work with rifles that have welded-on Picatinny rails over the ejection port. Obviously since these snap over the receiver they will not work if you have something welded in its place."

Posts: 15838 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
They are pretty great, even more so now that they ship with a paddle magazine release. Watch a video of someone performing a reload and see if that doesn’t turn you off. The FAL, M14, and just about everything is much more ergonomic. Optic mounting isn’t that bad.

Posts: 9942 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Am I missing something and looks like mags are like $10?

Heck, I can remember when they were like $1 per mag, not that long ago in the early/mid 2000s.

Posts: 32415 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have an original JLD PTR-91 that is still NIB. Very well made but very heavy.

Posts: 12430 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:

These seem to be quite the gun for $1300 or so. Am I missing something and looks like mags are like $10?

It starts at 10 lbs and goes up when you start replacing furniture so you can mount sights/lights/flamethrowers etc. From what I've seen if you try to modernize one, all your replacement parts are going to be heavier.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:
and spit out the casings with gusto!

HK91’s/G3’s etc. are as dangerous to the front right as they are right in front of the muzzle. Smile. Those cases are like starboard area denial. Razz

100% truth - same with the 53/51's.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you get the 308 pistol(same specs as the HK51) you can get some great fireballs, but it’s much more comfortable to operate with the extended charge handle and shoot with the HK21 stock.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good review by Garand Thumb...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5theK9-sZw

Posts: 435 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCFD4:

Saw that last week. It's hilarious how he hates to say anything good about PTR. Didn't bother me, and it could have just been me reading more than is actually there, but he seemed really biased against PTR. No, the PTR ain't perfect but there is literally no-one else in the game, right now (in .308/7.62x51).

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
quote:

Saw that last week. It's hilarious how he hates to say anything good about PTR. Didn't bother me, and it could have just been me reading more than is actually there, but he seemed really biased against PTR. No, the PTR ain't perfect but there is literally no-one else in the game, right now (in .308/7.62x51).

I think he loves HK so that's probably the best you'll get for a clone

Posts: 435 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
quote:

I think he loves HK so that's probably the best you'll get from him for a clone

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:

If you get the 308 pistol(same specs as the HK51) you can get some great fireballs, but it’s much more comfortable to operate with the extended charge handle and shoot with the HK21 stock.

This seems quite ridiculous.
Though I like it. I think I like the idea of a folder though.
https://hkparts.net/product/pt...justable-p14537.htm/

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25346 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post