SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    bought a PTR 91!!!!!!!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bought a PTR 91!!!!!!! Login/Join 
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Here's a fun quick video of PTR's 51. Not exactly inspiring, lmao.

Edited to correct the following:
quote:
From Me:
...No, the PTR ain't perfect but there is literally no-one else in the game, right now (in .308/7.62x51).

It appears Century Arms will be importing G3/91 models as well as HK33 models as well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgKmaNVuo-y/?hl=en

Interesting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vgex,

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ‘91 has a painful kick with the hard plastic butt pad. The short barreled model that is pictured has a much softer, rubber pad made for the HK21. Old one snaps out, new one snaps in. Worth every cent.

Robertrtg.com Just checked - $39.95

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Ptr for sale if you are interested......

Posts: 446 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
Here's a fun quick video of PTR's 51. Not exactly inspiring, lmao.

Edited to correct the following:
quote:
From Me:
...No, the PTR ain't perfect but there is literally no-one else in the game, right now (in .308/7.62x51).

It appears Century Arms will be importing G3/91 models as well as HK33 models as well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgKmaNVuo-y/?hl=en

Interesting.

I think PTR makes decent firearms at the core, but they also cut corners to keep the price down. For instance, my 91 pistol had a cheap MP5 length handguard. It fit but was roughly 1.5” too short, cheap recoil rod & light weight spring, crappy charge handle & grip, plastic fire control box etc … but the parts that matter, barreled receiver, bolt & carrier, fit & finish and and for the price, they’re a good deal as long as you understand what you’re getting.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
The ‘91 has a painful kick with the hard plastic butt pad. The short barreled model that is pictured has a much softer, rubber pad made for the HK21. Old one snaps out, new one snaps in. Worth every cent.

Robertrtg.com Just checked - $39.95

You need to shoot a British Enfield (303) or or Springfield 1903 (30.06) or Mauser with the steel butt "pad" and 8mm ammo, it'll make you wonder how the war's lasted so long and appreciate the men (boys really) that fought.

I was around 20 when I shot my first Mauser, 20 rounds was all I could take, when I got home I had a bruise on my shoulder and for the next few days I could barely move my arm, and it was painful for a week ... when you recover, go shoot the G3/HK91.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ The British Enfield Jungle Carbine's recoil is even worse than the regular Enfield. Not fun.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Bundeswehr G3s were sure fun to shoot back in the day. We used to go to a range near Landsberg with our German sister unit for weapons familiarization a couple of times a year. They’re heavy rifles and G3 trigger was pretty bad but most of the guys in my unit liked them. The thing they really should have improved on is the magazine well. Rocking the mags in is a slower reload than its competitors.

Assume everyone knows that the G3s had the SEF trigger packs.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LGS held an auction yesterday in their parking lot. They had almost 200 guns to sell. I scored a PTR91 with 1 mag for 875$ the version with rail. Would have preferred the original style but they only had one

Went to the range a few hours later with some foreign 147 grain ball and lake city 173 match. Was able to hit 8” steel plate at 125 yard with each adjusting where I held front sight post by just a smidge. Or as my HK fanboy buddy calls it “minute of black September” lol
Now to dress it up.

Atlantic Firearms has packs of 15 OEM HK mags for $115. Another website I saw has Cetme mags for 4.95 each.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ElToro,

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Very cool. That's a deal. I picked up the classic wide handuard for around $79 from RobertRTG, if I remember, correctly a few years ago. Unfortunately, it is no longer in the catalog, but an AC Unity wide handguard is available for the same cost from Atlantic . Looks are not quite the same, but still looks good.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post