SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What is the best AR for home defense that you would trust your life on
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best AR for home defense that you would trust your life on Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

I've been going back and forth on what to get. And then I got hit by reality in terms of available inventory.

don't get overly concerned about the brand name. in the end -- an AR is a collection of parts assembled by trained monkeys. the good ones claim (and mostly do) have a 'better' collection of parts assembled by 'better' monkeys. heck half the members of this forum have probably assembled one in the garage... some brands make their own parts but some don't and etch a label on the lower.

but if you read enough gun boards you will perceive 'bad' rifles can slip out from even the 'top tier' makers.

so if you can find a solid rifle that is available NOW on the local market for reasonable $$ -- I would take that over a 'dream rifle' that might be available in 6 months. in the end if it goes bang 100% of the time you pull the trigger hitting your target at the ranges you intend to shoot at you're good to go.

(this is not to say some rifles aren't built to higher / better specs -- its just that you can obsess over some details that may or may not make any difference practically speaking)

-----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I'd keep an eye on local gun classifieds and online forums. Even with the crazy times we're in, there's still some great deals to be had, but you need to have money on hand and an FFL lined up so you can jump as soon as something pops up. Christmas is coming up and people will be needing money. I'd avoid home-builds like the plague.

I saw a new factory Spike's Tactical ST15 14.5" (P/W to 16") mid-length this morning for $895.00. That's a $1,200.00 rifle normally with a 12-18 month wait from the factory.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
thanks all or the info. been to a few shops in NH looking at new and used went to the sig pro shop (no love for the tread line here)they was pushing me to the pistol ARs but it will be my only rifle so 16 inch is what I am leaning to Maby a 14.5 rifle I assume I would need tax stamp for that.
anyway I have some time I have some vacation payback coming in December plus I have my Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod I can use as a trade or sell

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cool -- let us know what you get.

i enjoy reading about other people's perceptions / experiences with various brands.

i keep all my stuff pretty basic but i realize some other folks are drawn to more 'enhanced' features

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a handful. My favorites for kicking around are the lighter weight 16” models. Yes, clean, iron sights.

I even have a $550 AR from PSA that’s fine, then up from there.

Regardless of what one has, you have to check it out a fair amount, that’s how you get the reliability answer.

Posts: 6150 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
thanks all or the info. been to a few shops in NH looking at new and used went to the sig pro shop (no love for the tread line here)they was pushing me to the pistol ARs but it will be my only rifle so 16 inch is what I am leaning to Maby a 14.5 rifle I assume I would need tax stamp for that.

Any rifle under 16" requires a tax stamp, but most 13.7" and 14.5" rifles you see will have a pinned and welded muzzle device bringing it to 16".

Posts: 1809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a ton of manufacturers out there putting out some great AR's.
Bravo, Colt, Bushmaster, Windham, Maxim, LWRC, Daniel Defense...

There's great Frankenstein-AR's out there too that have been proven reliable and accurate. (Putting one together with different manufacturers parts)

For Home Defense-
Keep it:
Simple
Light
Small

A red-dot is not necessary, but they are nice, especially in close. Just learn how to use it and practice. A good light is a must.

Lightweight; you don't need bipods, handgrips, lasers, IR lights, bottle-openers on your AR. A key-mod or m-loc system is great, and lightweight! You don't need a heavy barrel, a lighter or pencil barrel works. Lugging around a big-ole-chunk-o-AR in your hallway at 2:30am, banging into stuff kinda sucks.

Which brings me to this-

Small... Nothing wrong with an AR that has a 24in barrel! I'm sure the gents at Camp Perry are hitting stuff at 1000yds with them.
HOWEVER-
You need something shorter. 10-12in range if you're using 5.56. I'm not saying it can't be done with a 14-16 inch, but shorter is easier.
So it's either the NFA route, or an AR Pistol. Check the legality situation in your state.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8328 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not go with a sub-16” barrel, unless you’re adding a sound suppressor AND going SBR (not a pistol with a goofy-ass brace).

The most important accessories:
Quality red dot
Quality light
Quality sling
Quality mags
Ammo, lots of it

I shoot red dots, irons, and magnified optics. Red dots are a significant advantage over irons.

The OEM lack furniture, so you can add whatever fits your needs.

OEM1 has a front sight. If setting it up I would add:
- Magpul MOE handguard
- Magpul MIAD pistol grip
- Magpul MOE SL stock
- Arisaka MLOK QD sling swivel to handguard
- BFG VCAS sling
- Aimpoint T1, T2, or TL in Arisaka 1.7 or 1.9 mount
- MBUS pro flip up rear sight
- Arisaka light and light mount
- Arisaka finger stop

OEM2 has a low pro gasblock. If setting it up I would add:
- Geissele Mk16 15” handguard
- Magpul MIAD pistol grip
- Magpul MOE SL stock
- Arisaka MLOK QD sling swivel to handguard
- BFG VCAS sling
- Aimpoint T1, T2, or TL in Arisaka 1.7 or 1.9 mount
- MBUS pro flip up front and rear sight
- Arisaka light and light mount
- Arisaka finger stop

I would personally add Geissele SSAs to those too, but it’s not necessary off the bat.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2315 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
Originally posted by jmkfive:
I highly recommend buying a "D-Fender" extractor ring, which will give your extractor greater power and reliability in extracting cartridges.

I’m not a big fan of those. I’ve tried every “enhanced” extractor fix on the market. The rubber d ring, the plus power springs. Some offer WAY to much pressure on the extractor and actually induce jams. I don’t even know how some of these are sold, they are so bad.

The Colt gold spring, on the other hand… is perfect. Perfect! It offers just a bit more pressure on the extractor than most cheaper AR15 springs and buffers. I highly recommend putting a Colt gold extractor spring in all your AR rifles. $4-$5 at Brownells.

Agreed. Colt gold spring with black Colt extractor buffer obviate the need for the D-fender and Crane O-rings.

"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2315 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
If for primarily home defense most any will probably work. Theirs a a big difference between a gun used rarely and one that is expected to function shooting thousands of rounds reliably.

For strictly home defense follow the KISS principal. 16" barrel, Iron sights, top quality mags. Leave it alone, don't modify it. Find good quality ammo and fire hundreds of rounds of that ammo through your gun to prove that your gun works reliably with THAT AMMO!

The most important part of owning a firearm is learning what to do if the firearm malfunctions. They ALL will malfunction at some point, either weapon related, ammo related, or bad guy contact related. Knowing how to correct a problem at the worst moment of your life may save your life.It won't matter if you have a $2000+ firearm or a lower cost firearm, the skills to get it running will be the same.
Shoot your weapon to learn it, become proficient and feel confident with it.
You might consider spending less on a firearm and using the remaining money in your budget for PROFESSIONAL instruction.

Posts: 4618 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Josh, I edited your post. That vendor gave the wrong guy the runaround and I will have nothing to do with driving business to their site.

They wasted my time with their bullshit and I don't care if God himself is a fan. They don't get mentioned here.

Posts: 107408 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Great advice here. I tried everything. SBR, suppressed, red dot.
BCM
DD.
Mini 14.
I’ve settled on a Colt LE6720 with DD iron sights, Surefire scout light and 20 round magpul mag. KISS works for me.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7938 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I’ve settled on a Colt LE6720 with DD iron sights, Surefire scout light and 20 round magpul mag.
You mean the 6920, right? The 6720 is a scarce item- flat top receiver, 16" pencil barrel. I own one which was made about ten years ago.

The LE6920 with the Daniel Defense A1.5 rear sight is what I use for home defense. I used to use Troy's non-folding rear sight but I found that recoil would cause the sight drum to loosen over time. With the DD A1.5, there's no such issues. I use a Surefire M300C in an IWC mount, on a Magpul forend.

The Pmag 20 round magazines are interesting. The first generation of these mags had a straight magazine body and I've always felt these mags were undersprung. They use a 9 coil magazine spring.

TTBOMK, there was no second generation 20 round Pmag. The third generation 20 rounder is a gem. These magazines use the same 15 coil magazine spring that Magpul uses in their 30 round magazines. Consequently, these magazines have great spring tension.

More than likely, a 30 round magazine in your home defense rifle is overkill, no pun intended. A 20 round magazine is probably more than sufficient. I can't imagine letting loose that many rounds inside my house.

Still, you never know. I keep 28 rounds loaded in a 30 round Lancer, and rotate the Lancers out from time to time with Pmag gen3 30 rounders.

I have two sets of linked Pmag 30 rounders I keep handy. Pmag second or third generation 30 round magazines can be linked in pairs with Magpuls maglink. This is a really solid setup, and using my standard 28 round loading gives me 56 rounds on the rifle, if ever I felt like I was going to have to fend off the world. Again, unlikely and I can't imagine a scenario where I would have to let loose nearly 60 rounds in my house, but...

Posts: 107408 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’ve settled on a Colt LE6720 with DD iron sights, Surefire scout light and 20 round magpul mag. KISS works for me.

the 6720 will serve you well! I put a cheap ($120) Sig Romeo 5 on mine..cheap but works very well

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have a Colt Canada 6520 upper(A2 with hammer forged pencil barrel, RARE) and a Colt 6720 (A3 with pencil barrel) and I absolutely love both of them. I use them both around the house. I'm really digging the simple A2 upper lately.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to be a total pic ho, but you're right, the 6520 is is a great gun as well. mine is now set up a lil different than the pic but a great package

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I’ve settled on a Colt LE6720 with DD iron sights, Surefire scout light and 20 round magpul mag.
You mean the 6920, right? The 6720 is a scarce item- flat top receiver, 16" pencil barrel. I own one which was made about ten years ago.

The LE6920 with the Daniel Defense A1.5 rear sight is what I use for home defense. I used to use Troy's non-folding rear sight but I found that recoil would cause the sight drum to loosen over time. With the DD A1.5, there's no such issues. I use a Surefire M300C in an IWC mount, on a Magpul forend.

The Pmag 20 round magazines are interesting. The first generation of these mags had a straight magazine body and I've always felt these mags were undersprung. They use a 9 coil magazine spring.

TTBOMK, there was no second generation 20 round Pmag. The third generation 20 rounder is a gem. These magazines use the same 15 coil magazine spring that Magpul uses in their 30 round magazines. Consequently, these magazines have great spring tension.

More than likely, a 30 round magazine in your home defense rifle is overkill, no pun intended. A 20 round magazine is probably more than sufficient. I can't imagine letting loose that many rounds inside my house.

Still, you never know. I keep 28 rounds loaded in a 30 round Lancer, and rotate the Lancers out from time to time with Pmag gen3 30 rounders.

I have two sets of linked Pmag 30 rounders I keep handy. Pmag second or third generation 30 round magazines can be linked in pairs with Magpuls maglink. This is a really solid setup, and using my standard 28 round loading gives me 56 rounds on the rifle, if ever I felt like I was going to have to fend off the world. Again, unlikely and I can't imagine a scenario where I would have to let loose nearly 60 rounds in my house, but...

I’ve got several 6720s. I love the light weight and with a 20 round mag, it’s easy to maneuver and carry around. Also have the magpul furniture and I believe the iwc mount.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7938 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Josh, I edited your post. That vendor gave the wrong guy the runaround and I will have nothing to do with driving business to their site.

They wasted my time with their bullshit and I don't care if God himself is a fan. They don't get mentioned here.

10-4. Understood.

Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
Any thoughts on the iwi zion 15 16inch I haven't checked the local gun shops yet I would rather keep it local on the web $828.00-$750.00 seems to be the going price

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^The IWI Zion 15 gets excellent reviews and looks like a great rifle for the money. I like everything about it, except that they only marked the Safety Selector positions on one side of Lower Receiver...and I'm a lefty! Frown

I was going to buy the IWI for my son, who turns 18 in January, but decided on the LaRue Ultimate Upper Kit w/ a LaRue Billet Lower Receiver instead. I'm looking forward to building that rifle with him to mark his 'Rite of Passage' into manhood. Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8852 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post