SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What is the best AR for home defense that you would trust your life on
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best AR for home defense that you would trust your life on Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
No such thing as "best AR for home defense". Unless you go unusually cheap or off-brand, they all work just fine!

Mine is a Ruger AR-556 with red-dot reflex sight, MagPul BUS, weapon light, converted to quad rail, plus bi-pod for range use. Has been 100% reliable since the day I got it... and for $450.00, I consider it a "steal"!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 3917 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Atlantic has Windham (the original Bushmaster) ARs in stock for ~$800 ish

https://atlanticfirearms.com/w...-ar15-rifle-r16m4a4t

nice for a basic AR

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8698 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
If $1k is your total budget, I would suggest picking up a S&W M&P Sport II or the IWI Zion, a couple Gen 3 Pmags or USGI mags, a quality no frills sling like the Vickers blue force gear, and ammo. When you have a little more cash, I would grab a light like the Streamlight HLX which comes with a mount and pressure switch. There are trade offs with my rifle suggestions, the Zion needs sights out of the box, but has a rail which will make it easier to mount a light.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4697 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
o man I shot a Styer AUG A3-M1 I am 5'7 and it fits my like a glove I shouldn't have done that now I want one Smile

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1176 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt 6920 is my go-to rifle for everything.

Daniel Defense is my second, KAC is my third. Those last 2 are out of your price range however.

quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
I should qualify I would like to be around a thousand bucks but you know how that goes

Posts: 700 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I currently have a PSA/AERO 10.5 with a brace and Vortex Sparc AR with a Surefire light in a hornady rapid safe for my under-the-bed midnight whatever gun. I have electronic ear pro with it. I have recently been rethinking this as I have several little people in the house and only the wife sleeps with ear plugs. That gun is unpleasant to shoot on an open range so its not better in a tight hallway. IMO as was previously mentioned the big thing is shaking your rig out and making sure it works. I found that I had to change out the springs much more as the 10.5 is a self-destructive jerk. It is capable and under 1k. I would strongly recommend electric earpro and getting a few experiences with shooting a shorty in a compressed space if the OP goes this route.

I have been traveling with my AUG and I am thinking about switching to that. The short OAL while retaining the 16-inch barrel is a huge plus. I am back and forth on mounting my can. I also have an 8" APC300 and this is a tight little setup while letting me get my 9mm can on it which is smaller and lighter than the can I would put on my AUG. I have good sub rounds for it, though I prefer how the supers work in a house. If I go with the supers then I would need to purchase a new can or run my super old heavy .30 can on it. This also might be the answer. I do not have a rapid access vault to lock either up but I might consider one of those drawer style ones. Both of these options are outside of the OPs range of 1k.

Turns out I ramble in the morning with just 1 cup of coffee.

Posts: 2613 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post