SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How cool is a Ruger #1?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How cool is a Ruger #1? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good evening, SF, I'm here with curiosity again.

One of my friends at work has offered up a Ruger #1B in .270 Win. I don't need a .270 at all, but I kinda want this because I've got a bit of a Ruger loyalty and I've always heard that the #1 was a great rifle.

Knowing nothing much at all about the #1, I figured I should ask here -- what should I know about a #1? Who's got one, and what do you like/dislike about it?

Educate me please, gents and ladies.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I owned two. The first in 257 Roberts, not for any good reason other than that I thought then (and still do) that they were the coolest rifles ever. I traded it on a 200th year model in 270 Winchester with the most fantastic wood I’ve seen on a stock I could actually touch. The chambering was reminiscent of my first centerfire rifle, a Ruger model 77. I never shot the #1 much, though, because it wasn’t very accurate (precise), unlike the 77.

If I were starting over, I would find a place on the wall to hang the 270 and admire as a piece of art.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have five of them:
204 Ruger
280 REM
30-06
275 Ruger
458 Lott

Not the most accurate of rifles, but some of the coolest. They seem to be getting scarcer and prices are steadily increasing… a lot!

If you decide you don’t want it, I’ll be in Roanoke this October. Wink

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
If I were starting over, I would find a place on the wall to hang the 270 and admire as a piece of art.

I've honestly been considering that.

quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
If you decide you don’t want it, I’ll be in Roanoke this October. Wink

Good to know. Give a shout! Smile

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A classic firearm.
Mine was in .30-06.
18 deer with 19 shots (missed with first shot one time).

Son wanted it (he shot his first deer with it) and now has it.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
what should I know about a #1?

It might be accurate, but most likely it won't be accurate.

If you have a Mini 14 and you're happy with its flyers, then a #1 will fit right in.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Definitely the coolest sporting rifle in the world. I've owned two but only have one now, the Liberty 1B in .270 in the back. Sold the 2506 1V.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd love to own a Ruger # 1 in 257 Weatherby. They really are the epitome of cool.

TS

Posts: 858 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They seem to be totally out of production now unfortunately. Somehow I thought Ruger was going to make limited runs each year in different calibers. Can anyone confirm that?

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Sold the 2506 1V.

I am about to do the same. (though I've been saying that since October)

Still have my .243 Win, .475 Linebaugh and 450/400.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
They seem to be totally out of production now unfortunately. Somehow I thought Ruger was going to make limited runs each year in different calibers. Can anyone confirm that?

At one point they were simply doing runs every year of whatever Lipsey's ordered. Maybe check over there to see if there's anything new?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I had one, the "Light Sporter" (22-inch barrel with a barrel-band-mounted front sling swivel and iron sights) in .30-06. Pretty to look at for sure, but I never got it truly sighted in with the scope I put on it - when shooting off a bench it beat my shoulder and arm numb. I don't know how people handle heavy-recoiling calibers like .30 magnums and up.

A neat thing about this and other single-shot rifles is that, lacking a reciprocating action, you can put a 26-inch barrel on it and impart more zoom to the bullet while being no longer than a 22-inch bolt, or a 22-inch and have it look and handle like a carbine.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned the cheapie version: A .223 Number 3. I was lucky. Mine was very accurate. How the fore end is mounted is the key to the designs accuracy. There were gunsmiths who could tune the gun to improve its accuracy, but I cant recall who they were. Or are now. I should have my butt kicked for selling my Number 3.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many moons ago my brother had one in 300WM. Nice wood, and very accurate. It hurt (alot) to shoot as I recall.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Pretty damn cool. I've always thought it was a beautiful gun, but never seen one on the shelf in a caliber I would use.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:

At one point they were simply doing runs every year of whatever Lipsey's ordered. Maybe check over there to see if there's anything new?

Lipsey's has 5 or 6 chamberings listed, and good ones, too, with a link to distributors. No idea of actual availability.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
One of the many guns I've dreamed of owning. I'm not sure of all the different chamberings offered, but I think I'd prefer one in .30-06 or .308...but could be plenty happy with a .270, or others as well.

We have a forum member with a gorgeous .308.

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I owned the cheapie version: A .223 Number 3. I was lucky. Mine was very accurate. How the fore end is mounted is the key to the designs accuracy. There were gunsmiths who could tune the gun to improve its accuracy, but I cant recall who they were. Or are now. I should have my butt kicked for selling my Number 3.

The very question I was about to ask, already answered. Thanks for that input.

I wonder if Ruger offers any accurizing services for the #1?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I've got one in .25-06 and it is my favorite rifle. It lives up to the No. 1's reputation for being finicky. With the Winchester factory 120gr. loads I can cover 3 shot groups with a dime. Better than I can do with hand loading so why bother? Buddy of mine moved overseas and gave me a case of factory Remington 90gr. ammo. It shoots an 8" pattern with those.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I had a 200th year #1H in 45/70 that was a cool gun. Open sights with beautiful wood. It was a thumper. I owned several others in .223, 30-06 and 22-250 but the 45/70 was my favorite.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
They are often the exceptions to the phrase "only accurate rifles are interesting".

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post