SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    In defense of the M1 Carbine.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In defense of the M1 Carbine. Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you'll source a black jumpsuit and start growing out your hair and mustache, you too could look this cool at patrol rifle instructor school, stylophiles...

(You might also get an old D-cell flashlight and strap it to the carbine with hose clamps to complete the "1970s-retro-tacticool" look.)

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^Thats some old-school right there!

NYPD ESU.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I wish a modern company (Ruger wink wink) would tool up and make a new, modern version, with new parts, new springs, new magazines. Get an ammo company on board to make some nice defensive loads. And then market the shit out of it at the best home defense rifle money can buy. And they'll sell a million of them.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^Which brings up the topic; have the few re-makes out there gotten the bugs out? Last I heard the Auto Ordnance and the new Inlands, etc. had spotty problems.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
^^^^Which brings up the topic; have the few re-makes out there gotten the bugs out? Last I heard the Auto Ordnance and the new Inlands, etc. had spotty problems.

I keep reading mixed reviews, but generally negative. With today’s technology, I don’t see how hard it could be to find a few solid USGI examples to reproduce them exactly down to the last detail. Multiple manufacturers cranked out parts that worked well enough to fit with each other over 70 years ago to produce millions of completed carbines. Today with such advances as laser scanning, and CNC machining, we can’t get one manufacturer to reliably produce them in any number.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^I had two of the 1980's Iver Johnsons; first one was a clunker, second one wasn't as bad but still it didn't match the ones returned a few years later from S. Korea (and elsewhere) that had gone through the wringer.

posted Hide Post
My Khar(auto ordanance) is doing fine. It does like to be nearly sopping wet though.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I wish a modern company (Ruger wink wink) would tool up and make a new, modern version, with new parts, new springs, new magazines. Get an ammo company on board to make some nice defensive loads. And then market the shit out of it at the best home defense rifle money can buy. And they'll sell a million of them.

Yes, and please make it in .357 magnum (rimless), it can be called...Ruger .357, much like the SIG.357. And if they could offer it in a 16" bbl version, and if they really wish to a 14.5" pinned to 16.1" version.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

Kahr, dummy. "Auto Ordinance," Whatever. Branding with an old name is horseshit, look at how Springfield Armory is garbage now.

If it was Ruger, the magazines would be magically garbage unless made by Ruger.

Guys, my crystal ball says Keltec will build a wonderful rifle, but the butthurt will obscure it. Mark my words. Or just pay the ransom to Fulton Armory for their buttered tarts.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as "we" would love a modern, affordable, reliable M1 carbine, the demand isn't really there in an AR saturated market and the ARs cost less.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I miss my M1 Carbine. Or should I say Carbines. I had a National Postal Meter, and a "Shitty" Universal. Both were reliable and accurate.

To help reliability, you have to think of the M1 Carbine magazines as truly a disposable part.

As for penetration, I have shot "Ball" 110gr. FMJ ammo through a 14" log and it zipped right through.

I wish someone would make a good reliable M1 Carbine and magazines. It would be a good alternative to the AR 15 platform, especially for places that don't allow "evil black guns"

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
I miss my M1 Carbine. Or should I say Carbines. I had a National Postal Meter, and a "Shitty" Universal. Both were reliable and accurate.

To help reliability, you have to think of the M1 Carbine magazines as truly a disposable part.

As for penetration, I have shot "Ball" 110gr. FMJ ammo through a 14" log and it zipped right through.

I wish someone would make a good reliable M1 Carbine and magazines. It would be a good alternative to the AR 15 platform, especially for places that don't allow "evil black guns"

ARman

They do, well as close to it as possible without being an M1 carbine. It's called the mini 14, but chambered in .223.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
As much as "we" would love a modern, affordable, reliable M1 carbine, the demand isn't really there in an AR saturated market and the ARs cost less.

Well, that and ammo costs. Even if a modern producer stepped up, there's no competing with 5.56/.223 prices.

On one hand, I argue that producing a decent modern M1 carbine should be more than possible, but on the other hand, I understand that while there's still a market for actual USGI examples, no one manufacturer is going to dive into the deep end of the pool to make a modern repro that could actually compete with the real thing.

One way or the other, doesn't matter to me. I've got mine, and I'm happy with it.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fulton Armory

Fulton Armory makes them every bit the equal of the GI models but they are pricey.

Posts: 456 | Location: Ocala, FL 34478 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Oh, I see they’re making their own receivers and barrels now. Last time I paid them any attention (admittedly, it’s been years), they were all built up from USGI parts.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cigardad:
Fulton Armory

Fulton Armory makes them every bit the equal of the GI models but they are pricey.

I used to see their tables at shows, but not in the recent past couple of years. As DSGrouse mentioned, to get my Iver Johnsons in the '80s to work reasonably they had to be slathered in CLP otherwise they were Jam-O-matics.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
My Khar(auto ordanance) is doing fine. It does like to be nearly sopping wet though.

Must...resist...for...$716:

https://www.brownells.com/fire...duct-Browse-Message2

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The Korean mags are surprisingly fine.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

Must...resist...for...$716:

https://www.brownells.com/fire...duct-Browse-Message2

I bought mine 3 or for years ago. 650 + tax. It had sat on the dealers shelf for at least two years.

I cleabed it, oiled it put 300 rounds through it with 0 issues. Cleaned it then oiled it. I took it out a year or so ago, tried to shoot it after a few cycles. It was spotty for the whole mag. I applied more oil, it ran fine after that.

I picked up some soft points to use it as a deer rifle here last season, i never made it out. This year i am going to do my best.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
Can anybody explain why so many of the repros have reliability issues? As expressed above, it can't be that machining 75 years ago was more precise. Is it cheaper finishes? Do the repros use cheaper metal for some parts, or the dreaded MIM or something?

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post