SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What is your favorite factory model of the Ruger 10/22?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your favorite factory model of the Ruger 10/22? Login/Join 
posted
Ruger makes a whole bunch of configurations and special editions and I’ve got a few, but my favorite is the 10/22 Sporter. I just really like the classic checkered walnut stock and blued barrel.

The only thing I changed on mine was to install the Ruger BX trigger. It will usually shoot sub 3/4” ten-shot groups at 50 yds. with the right ammo, typically CCI Standard Velocity. Mine has a Vortex 2-7x RF scope mounted on it, which I really like.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BMR,

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My heavy target barrel 50th anniversary model is my favorite.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got that exact same anniversary rifle, too, which is very accurate and close to my Tikka Tx1 in accuracy. I do have to clean it more often than my other Rugers because of the tighter match chamber to ensure consistent reliability.

- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:
Ruger makes a whole bunch of configurations and special editions and I’ve got a few, but my favorite is the 10/22 Sporter. I just really like the classic checkered walnut stock and blued barrel.

The only thing I changed on mine was to install the Ruger BX trigger. It will usually shoot sub 3/4” ten-shot groups at 50 yds. with the right ammo, typically CCI Standard Velocity. Mine has a Vortex 2-7x RF scope mounted on it, which I really like.

My choice as well.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many 10/22s have come and gone over the years but this one continues to put more rabbits and squirrels in the stew than any other.

Ruger 50 year anniversary design contest winner

- BX trigger
- PA ACSS 22lr 6x scope

Posts: 625 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Mine's a toss-up between the blued International for looks:

And the stainless 50th Anniversary for functionality/practicality:

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
I have the exact same model as you, BMR. Love the classic style. My one and only 10/22. Topped it with a Leupold 2-7x rimfire scope and added a BX trigger and basic sling. Perfect.

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I got the same 'Sporter' model (2007 production), though I seem to recall this model was previously referred to as the Deluxe Sporter. Regardless, it's my one and only, as well as my favorite Ruger 10/22. One day I'll get around to putting a Leupold Scope on it... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^You’re correct that they used to be called the “Deluxe Sporter.” I had one that I bought in the 70’s that had a very fancy walnut stock and I sold it in the 90’s, IIRC, because it wasn’t very accurate. My current one is far more accurate. Of course, the much better BX trigger probably accounts for much of that improvement.

RogueJSK, your International has a beautiful stock. That’s one that has been on my list to buy for some time.

- David Horowitz

posted Hide Post
I’d have to vote my Ruger Charger for the maximum flexibility of accessory options. It can be outfitted exactly like a 10/22 or run as a short braced pistol.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Mine is what I guess is just the “standard” wood-stocked, blued gun. I’ve had two; they’re still in the family, with my daughters each having one now haha. Reckon I need to grab another. Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
kilyung reminded me when he mentioned the Charger that I have a SIG Romeo5 collecting dust, so I ordered one. Can’t find a BX trigger for it anywhere, though.

- David Horowitz

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I went with the Thompson Center clone that is set up similarly to the 50th anniversary posted above. For now I have images of a Charger in a B-TM folding stock.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10/22 Collector Series.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:
kilyung reminded me when he mentioned the Charger that I have a SIG Romeo5 collecting dust, so I ordered one. Can’t find a BX trigger for it anywhere, though.

Congrats!! I would recommend sending your trigger group to Brimstone Gunsmithing for a Tier 3 trigger job. Crisp and much nicer feeling than the BX trigger for less money. I’ve had several triggers done by them and it comes close to my KIDD triggers.

I’ve got a similar setup - I put a Vortex Viper MRDS on my Charger with a folding Sig PCB brace. Fantastic fun especially when I screw on my Dead Air Mask suppressor. In a package smaller than my regular 10/22 so I can stuff it in my daypack when camping or hiking.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^Thanks for the recommendation! I just placed an order with them, and since I still have the original trigger from my Sporter, I don’t have to wait for the Charger to arrive to send that trigger.

- David Horowitz

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I've had two of the 10/22 Target model. Loved 'em.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The mannlincher stock ones have always been my favorites. Those I leave alone. Everything else has some number of modifications to it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Over the years I’ve had several favorites … currently it’s the take-down charger with a Franklin Armory binary trigger.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post

Factory pic, but I love my stainless international.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post