SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Palmetto State Armory?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Palmetto State Armory? Login/Join 
posted
This seems to be one of those brands that generates strong opinions - "Great rifles" to "Avoid anything PSA". Anyone with any positive PSA experiences?

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I have bought a couple of stripped lowers, and one complete 11.5 pistol upper, and I have nothing negative to say. Is it the same quality and workmanship as a Daniel Defense? Probably not. Was it $2000? Absolutely not! I feel like you’re getting your moneys worth, and I would buy from them again.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I have their AR and AK. No problem with either one so far.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
The lower parts kits are garbage and I can't recommend one.
The one I got the take down pins were way out of spec and unusable. I have read others finding the same thing.
BCM or other is a better choice.

The lower priced uppers are about what you can expect from many others.
The premium uppers are priced reasonable and the one I have is definitely better quality than the lower priced one that I have.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Their ARs and AKs are gtg, as stated above. No experience with their Dagger, though.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've ordered an AKV 9mm from PSA and should have it sometime next week. I've read good things about these and I'm looking forward to trying this out. They've been offering these with a "V" type sidefolding brace, TEN magazines and a nice case for just under $1000.00 in various configurations. A very good deal IMHO.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a 16" 5.56 AR that I bought from them back in 2011, which was before they had different tiers of AR products. That gun has been absolutely excellent, I'd trust my life to it and have as I used it as a patrol rifle for several years before my agency issued us rifles. I don't know as I've even had a malfunction with it, and I've been to many a training with it where other "better" brand rifles have choked but my PSA kept on trucking.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I had one of their blowback 9mm ARs. That thing was an utter POS...one of the most problematic (nd outright dangerous) guns I've ever owned. Had several instances of doubling and OOB discharges, not to mention more typical malfunctions like FTF/FTE.

I still have the 5.56. The 9mm is long gone.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Depends what you get. The Jackyl looks pretty cool if it works right.

I like what they do. They set the tone with their website and the dam crack laced emails coming out 3 times a day.

Definitely scored some righteous deals from them. I appreciate the innovation too, like the AK 104 pistol/ series. I saw some of the folding stocks have a little wiggle to em, but that's the only issue I've seen. No first hand though.

I've recommended people buy different ARs/uppers from them, and they all worked fine so far.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I've had very good luck with PSA. About 7 - 8 years ago I got 2 complete lowers. One of the trigger packs was faulty (it would fire one round, fail, then fire.) I contacted PSA, got an RMA, sent the lower in, and they changed out the trigger pack and returned the lower quickly. After that the lower was good.

Their prices are usually very reasonable and shipping is usually quick.

Now I've gotten more in the AR game I just buy stripped lowers and build them myself, but my experiences with PSA has been very good.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dawes:
"Avoid anything PSA".

I'm not sure I've ever actually heard that, and if I have, it wasn't often enough to make an impression on me as something people actually say.

They're well-built, budget-priced rifles. I've purchased two uppers and inherited a third. My first, I ran a thousand rounds plus of Wolf through it without cleaning or lube before I finally got a stuck case - pounded it out with a range rod and kept going to about fifteen hundred rounds before I cleaned it.

The MrGunsNGear video where he goes to Battlefield Vegas and talks to one of the armorers, two things got special mention as to surprisingly good durability: The SCAR 16, and the Palmetto AR's. Mind you, they have everything set up in full auto, and those rifles get rented and used like a cheap hooker.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
I've ordered an AKV 9mm from PSA and should have it sometime next week. I've read good things about these and I'm looking forward to trying this out. They've been offering these with a "V" type sidefolding brace, TEN magazines and a nice case for just under $1000.00 in various configurations. A very good deal IMHO.

Yeah, that was a great deal. I was tempted to get it but decided not to, since I already have about the same package at home, bought when it was more expensive. Great fun gun, but one thing to be aware of is the bump fire effect written about >>here<<. Smile

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
AR-15 wise - A lot of people seem to sneer at PSA as if the price has something to do with the quality. I have yet to experience or see any actual evidence of long term PSA issues. I truly believe it's a matter of "if it's cheap in price it must be cheap in quality".

That said, for their other products, I have heard of teething issues on various things like their AK-47 and AKV.

In all, I love their mission statement and their view towards getting more firearms into the hands of civilians.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/about-psa.html

"Our mission is to maximize freedom, not our profits. We want to sell as many AR-15 and AK-47 rifles as we can and put them into common use in America today. Our focus isn't to make massive amounts of money but to spread freedom as far and wide as possible. Our legacy will not be about money; we want our legacy to be about maximizing American Freedom. And we work every day to do just that. We make high-quality firearms at affordable prices for everyone! Then we back them with a Full Lifetime Warranty."

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
I bought a couple of complete blem uppers from PSA
2years ago. The receivers are excellent, both have FN barrels and the BCGs seem top notch and solid. As far as blemishes, I could not find any. Both shoot accurate if I do my part. I would have no problem buying PSA products again.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by Dawes:
"Avoid anything PSA".

I'm not sure I've ever actually heard that, and if I have, it wasn't often enough to make an impression on me as something people actually say.

This was my first thought when I read that as well.
My AR was built around a PSA blem lower & PSA LPK.

Coworker bought complete halves to his, trouble free.
Another bought multiple lowers & has built 3 or 4 rifles off mostly PSA purchases/parts.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
My latest upper from them is the best fitting to lower that I have seen so far, no wiggle or slop and the take down pin slides easy on an Anderson lower.
One of their lower end uppers I have flops around like a rag doll on the same lower.
The AR9 upper I had was pretty bad too, same lower with a PSA LPK with the out of spec take down pin swapped out. IIRC it measured almost .260" and wouldn't even start going into either receiver.
I think I used a CMMG one that the store down the road had in stock.
It was my first one and it had me screwed up for a minute but luckily back then there was stuff like that in the store.

The 14.7" upper is a pretty good deal for what you get, if you sourced the parts individually it would be well over $200 more.
They did have them with Geissele handguards, I believe the ones they have now are Midwest Industries, which I really like.
My only real gripe with it is that the barrel is not dimpled for the gas block set screw.
Some may not think it necessary but I like to have them dimpled and am able do it so it's not that big a deal to me.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I have purchased quite a few things from PSA. No complaints at all. After a Black Friday sale several years I got a shipping notice that my two stripped lowers were being shipped to the wrong state. I called on a Sunday and got the owners wife. She intercepted the order and got it on the right track. Very nice lady. I would rate the 'PSA AR15 MOE EPT LOWER' as superb.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Texas Bob C.,

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Dissapator AR and a GF3 AK from Palmetto. Both were blems and I never found the defects on them. I also got a 22lr top end for the AR that shoots well. No problems with any of them. Early on they had problems with getting items shipped on time, but they seem to have solved that. All my orders have shipped promptly.

Posts: 59 | Registered: July 11, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve got three stripped lowers that I’ve built into guns, two of which have complete PSA uppers on, and an AK-P. Not a single problem with any of them though only the AK has been shot a bunch.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
No issues. My very first AR was from there years ago. I ordered a stripped lower from them and a 14.7" pinned CHF upper with YHM Diamond rail. It has gone through thousands of rounds with no issue and I've stuck the upper on a select-fire lower at work and had some fun. That was way back in the day when they had several choices for handguards you could select.

I've put together PSA rifles for coworkers over the years and no one has had any issues. They usually buy the kits and source a lower and I'd build the lower for them.

My brother just got in a Dagger from their recent sale (Dagger plus 11 mags and a bag) and he's going to test it out next weekend.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a PSA 10.5” that I SBR’d and put a suppressor on. No issues. I also have one of their 224 Valkyries w/ the 20” stainless barrel that shoots very well and have had no issues with it as well.

Posts: 4028 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post