SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    PSA AK-V9 semi-auto pistol, MOE, with triangle side folding brace >>** Happy updated report (11/6/21) **<<
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA AK-V9 semi-auto pistol, MOE, with triangle side folding brace >>** Happy updated report (11/6/21) **<< Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
PSA AK-V9 semi-auto pistol, MOE, with triangle side folding brace

When this nifty little gun came out in 2018, there were reports of problems, but all appear to have been fixed. https://www.pewpewtactical.com...-armory-psa-9mm-akv/

So, I took the plunge recently on one, always wanting one of these. Gun appears to be very well made. The trigger is very smooth and light, which really surprised me. The only negative about it, while playing around, is that the magwell's front corners are very sharp. Why can't they round them out like the AR's magwell? But that's not the real problem. So, finally had the chance to test it out at the range today. Bought a bunch of extra factory 35-rounders, since they are so cheap ($15 a pop), and they were all loaded and ready to rock.

First 5 shots went semi-auto mode as they should. But, then the next 4 squeezes of the trigger each resulted in a full auto burst. The last burst broke the string and brought down the target. Didn't even finish the first magazine (brought 7) after this experience. Talked to the shop guy, and he said this is the second time he saw the AKV go full auto. Packed up and left, with 5 rounds still in the 1st mag, since I don't want to be in possession of a malfunctioning semi-auto gun that goes full auto, and with some feds around swooping down on me. Roll Eyes Before anyone asks, the gun is absolutely stock and has not been modified in any ways, except for the Primary Arms SLx 1x Prism sight sitting on top.

Already contacted PSA for a RMA. Oh AKV, how I love thee, BUT thou are going to have to go back to factory. Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26179 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Ugh. Thanks for posting this. I have that same pistol in olive and haven't made it out to the range yet.

Hrmmmmm.

Keep us posted?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9140 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some wouldn’t consider this to be a defect, stupid nfa..

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Totally agree.

Q

Posts: 26179 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have had a AK-V for 6 months that would do the same dance as yours. Called PSA and got no where, Bought the ALG trigger and new hammer spring and re-machined the disconnect and now I have a gun that will not bump fire and shoots amazing!

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My best friend and weekly shooting partner has one and the first time he took it to the range the same thing happened. What we kind of figured out is essentially being an AK, the trigger has no discernible wall or break in the trigger. He tried shooting it through slow pulls of the trigger and was basically unintentionally bump firing it. He adjusted by pulling straight through and holding the trigger back as far as it would go and it hasn't happened since. Not saying yours doesn't have an issue but seems fairly common.

Posts: 341 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
This ^^^^^^^^^^

Mine did the same thing when I first fired it. Probably nothing wrong with the firearm.
Try ah3's advice. I bet it'll solve your problem. It solved mine.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I REALLY wanted an AKV for a long time but ended up just getting the Scorpion instead and don't regret it at all. Super pleased it's eaten literally everything I've put in it and has yet to have a malfunction of any kind in its first ~1000 rounds.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
Mine did the same thing, sent it back to PSA and they said there was nothing wrong with it. It just needed to be held firmly Roll Eyes

As suggested, pulling all the way through the break seems to alleviate the problem. Not happy with that as a resolution but that is all I can offer.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's interesting. A design that makes it easy to bump fire but not a real full auto. I guess that's just the way it is.

quote:
Originally posted by ah3:
being an AK, the trigger has no discernible wall or break in the trigger. He tried shooting it through slow pulls of the trigger and was basically unintentionally bump firing it. He adjusted by pulling straight through and holding the trigger back as far as it would go and it hasn't happened since. Not saying yours doesn't have an issue but seems fairly common.

You're right about the trigger. I'll try it again with deliberate trigger pull through and see what happen.

This is my first AK style gun. Thanks all.

Q

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Wow. Gotta admit that while I have no need for one of these, I thought they might be a relatively inexpensive and fun gun to own, so I've had an interest since they were first announced.

As a general rule I don't buy early production anything substantial or potentially dangerous, and hadn't kept up with the multitude of consistent stoppages plaguing the AKV.

Thanks for including the link to the article and video reviews.

Really disappointing to see both MAC and so many forum members experiencing these issues. Really hoping PSA gets it figured out.

quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Snip...
Keep us posted?

Yup, please do!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
My 9mm AR with a CMC trigger will do a 30 round mag dump if you don't control the trigger.

I thought it had broken when my daughter fired it and it dumped 5 rounds instantly.
A Kung Fu grip and better trigger control fixed that but she doesn't like shooting it.

Posts: 1468 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m starting to want an akv now

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fixed mine because I don't like to draw attention to myself and a 5 or 6 round burst WILL do that! The first time I tried to sight in a red dot on it was a real pain and besides I can run semi auto as fast as I need with the accuracy I want.

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
OK, happy update.

Went to the range after work today to test the theory mentioned above. Firmly held the gun, trigger finger quickly and deliberately pulled through, and guess what? Not a single outburst. The only single time I loosened up, I got that bbrrraaapppp as before. So, 220 rounds went through today, plus the 30 rounds a couple of days ago, and zero hiccups, I'm now satisfied. No return to PSA needed as far as I'm concerned. Interestingly, PSA CS never responded to my email at least to explain the damn thing, and this irked me a bit. Roll Eyes

Q

Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Glad that was the issue. Nice to know you have another "option" if needed. Wink

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As fun as it is to bump fire, a gun should not be that sensitive. Holding it tight is a band aid for a serious FCG issue. You can hold pressure on a deep cut to keep from bleeding, instead of getting stitches too… send it back and make PSA fix it, it’s an accident waiting to happen. And since you know about the issue, and PSA is well aware, you will both be liable when a round goes over the back stop. Shoot safe!!!

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDG:
As fun as it is to bump fire, a gun should not be that sensitive. Holding it tight is a band aid for a serious FCG issue. You can hold pressure on a deep cut to keep from bleeding, instead of getting stitches too… send it back and make PSA fix it, it’s an accident waiting to happen. And since you know about the issue, and PSA is well aware, you will both be liable when a round goes over the back stop. Shoot safe!!!

As I noted earlier, I had the same issue and sent it back and PSA’s exact response:

“Inspected the fire control group in the AKV and everything works as it should as far as proper trigger reset after every pull of the trigger and manual cycle of the bolt as well as proper trigger reset in between each individual pull of the trigger while firing. Test fired 70 rounds of 124 grain Blazer 9mm without any issues or burst firing. The AKV being a blowback design uses the inertia of the bolt during cycling. As the round is fired the bolt is carried rearward and if the AKV is not held tightly the rearward movement may cause your finger come off of the trigger allowing it to reset. As the bolt makes its return to pick up the next round and completes the cycle back into battery this may cause the AKV, if not held tightly, may cause the trigger to make contact with your finger again causing the trigger to unintentionally be pulled again, which may result in a false burst or bump fire scenario. Holding the AKV securely while firing ensures this does not happen.”

It seems sending it back is a waste of time (yes, the gun still bump fires if I am not deliberate with trigger and tight grip).

Posts: 1355 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigLaw:
quote:
Originally posted by JDG:

As I noted earlier, I had the same issue and sent it back and PSA’s exact response:

“Inspected the fire control group in the AKV and everything works as it should as far as proper trigger reset after every pull of the trigger and manual cycle of the bolt as well as proper trigger reset in between each individual pull of the trigger while firing. Test fired 70 rounds of 124 grain Blazer 9mm without any issues or burst firing. The AKV being a blowback design uses the inertia of the bolt during cycling. As the round is fired the bolt is carried rearward and if the AKV is not held tightly the rearward movement may cause your finger come off of the trigger allowing it to reset. As the bolt makes its return to pick up the next round and completes the cycle back into battery this may cause the AKV, if not held tightly, may cause the trigger to make contact with your finger again causing the trigger to unintentionally be pulled again, which may result in a false burst or bump fire scenario. Holding the AKV securely while firing ensures this does not happen.”

It seems sending it back is a waste of time (yes, the gun still bump fires if I am not deliberate with trigger and tight grip).

Just because PSA can't fix their own problem, don't make it right. At least you tried. I have owned in the past, a RRA 9mm, JRC 9mm, AR9, Ruger PCC 9mm, CZ Scorpion, and my current KR-9S, all blowbacks, none of them have had this issue. The heavy bolt excuse don't fly. A gun should never fire more than one shot, no matter how you hold it.(unless you are trying to bump fire it)

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have wanted one of these for AGES; I have always like the setup and reliability of an AK platform is a big plus. I think I could live with the "defect" and maybe look into manufacturing a trigger stop of some kind so you could positively and safely fire on semi and still have a crisp, quick reset.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post