SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What is about AR-15 A2 pistol grips that some people dislike?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is about AR-15 A2 pistol grips that some people dislike? Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted
I've noticed in some online reviews that the reviewer professes a dislike for the A2 style pistol grip. It isn't really outright hostility, more of a dismissive attitude. Any ideas why to offer?

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is just my opinion, but I don't like the angle of the A2 grip. It makes me cant my wrist and I have arthritis in that wrist.
I prefer a grip that is less canted and more vertical. Simply a comfort thing for me.

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, along with the A1 grip, they're not very hand-filling. Later grips, such as Magpuls MOE do a much better job in that respect.

However, if I had only A2 grips for my ARs, it wouldn't be a big deal for me.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I don't like the finger bump.
I don't care for them on pistols either.
I'm pretty sure that if all I had was an A2 grip it would be demoted to A1 pretty quick.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Back in '84 I owned a CAR-15, of course back then there was only the original style grip, the A2 style hadn't even been conceived yet. Now that Parabellum has mentioned it they are a little small in diameter.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of partial to them myself as that's what I was issued in 1986. They're natural to me.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Too small (not unlike a standard AK grip) and the grip angle is not conducive to a squared off shooting stance. It's just not very ergonomic when you're actually shooting.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
The A2 does nothing to help my grip, I’ve become big fan of the B5 lately. The only downside is there is no storage on the B5.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
The finger nub with some people. It isn't in an ergonomic spot for some hands. I felt the A1 and A2 were to shallow. Putting a MIAD with the large rear grip puts the trigger in a more natural spot for me.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Too small (not unlike a standard AK grip) and the grip angle is not conducive to a squared off shooting stance. It's just not very ergonomic when you're actually shooting.

That's an interesting point concerning the grip on an AK, at the same time that I owned the CAR-15 I also owned an AKS and I remember how much I disliked the grip.

Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
For me, it is the finger nub & the thinness that I dislike. MOE or MIAD & I'm happy.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
For me it's the size. It's too small and puts my had too close to the trigger. It's not so bad that I can't work with it, but I prefer a magpul MIAD with the large backstrap.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually prefer the A2. Well, I guess I don't prefer it; I'm just indifferent, and don't care to change it. I do fill the cavity behind the trigger guard, as it can serve as a sharp rubbing spot, when employing a high grip. I guess that void would be my A2 nitpick. My recent build has a LMT rubbery grip, because it came on the lower. I have no plans to change to an A2, nor am I enamoured by the rubber grip. I don't get picky about grips or triggers, which makes me a real weirdo.

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I like the A2 grip just fine.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
They don't bother me but I prefer a bigger grip and less angle.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Too small/thin.

No support at the web of the hand.

Annoying finger bump.

Annoying gap between grip and trigger guard.

And most importantly, an overly steep angle designed for the old style of rifle shooting with your body bladed sideways and support side shoulder pointed towards the target, not the modern style of shooting squared up to the target, which requires a grip angle that's straighter.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
For me the finger bump is in the wrong place, I took one to a sander and fixed that. Then I found hogue overmolded grip and now they are on my ARs.

And the originals are too skinny

https://www.hogueinc.com/catal...result/?q=Ar+15+grip

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
For a grip that fills the hand the Magpul MOE K XL is a chubby sucker.
I tried one and have them on all of mine now, I like it better than the BCM Mod3.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

And most importantly, an overly steep angle designed for the old style of rifle shooting with your body bladed sideways and support side shoulder pointed towards the target, not the modern style of shooting squared up to the target, which requires a grip angle that's straighter.

I literally laughed at this because that's how I was instructed back in 1986 and I shot like this for decades. Nothing wrong with it really but there are better methods now.
This now has me curious to change out a grip just to see what I may be missing out on.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
And in the category of weird pistol grips is the Valmet 76, it is (was) simply a round, grooved tube.