SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Hard Rifle Cases
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard Rifle Cases Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
My custom M14 project is nearly complete, so I'm going to need a good hard case for it. With the optic and other add-ons, it will be at least a 4-5k project.

I'm curious what hard cases others are using. I've specifically been looking at 3 Pelicans:

- Protector 1750 - Heaviest, but best protection
- Storm iM3300 - Lighter, but similar price to the 1750
- V800 Vault - Also light, and much cheaper

Overall, the price difference isn't huge, so I'm thinking more about the difference in materials, latch types, weight, etc.

Also, is it a bad idea to ship a rifle in such a case? While it can be locked and would be very damage resistant, such cases seem to scream "STEAL ME" when going through the UPS system.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
I picked up 2 of these Boyt cases and I like them. I have a Pelican as well and I don't see the price difference. For 100 bucks I'll do this every time. I will say the latches are a little annoying but I put my big boy pants on and deal with it. If you search around I think the longer ones are in the 150 range.

Also, genna need some pictures of that M14.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...370070674#2370070674

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen a lot of broken cases but I've never seen a broken Pelican. Other cases may look like a Pelican, but I don't believe all plastic is equal. I've got some cheap guns in (relatively) cheap cases. But I use Pelicans for those special guns.

rambo

Posts: 243 | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P.S. I've never owned a Boyt so I can't speak to them.

P.S.S. I once bought a used Pelican with a broken latch, at a big discount. Pelican sent me a replacement latch free. Was an easy install. I also bought a Pelican briefcase with a broken combo lock, also at a big discount. Someone had tried to jimmy the lock and broke it. Pelican sent me a whole new lock assembly, another easy install.

I'm a Pelican believer.

rambo

posted Hide Post

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
RTIC makes a great gun case. RTIC is the Yeti clone in injection molded plastic.
Free shipping.
Unbeatable price when on sale.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Pelican FTW. We used them in the CG, large rifle boxes, big square jobbers, etc…when units would deploy we’d ship their pistols and ammo in the pelican box. If sailors can’t break them nothing can…except shark bite and children under five.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11244 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
No sharks in NM and my youngest is 5. Big Grin

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with stuff from MTM. They now have a tactical rifle case. Not Pelican rugged, but 1/3 the cost.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16003 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Hard to argue with a guy called rambo, been here since Clinton, and chooses words carefully. Big Grin

He's right. Pelican wins in a fight.

But if you're anything like my dumbass and you need 10 cases and you aren't dropping into Nam to free POWs the Boyt is good enough. I can get 2 Boyts on sale for 1 Pelican generally.

The latches are annoying though. And probably not as good as Pelican.

I think the question becomes, is this spared no expense Custom M14 worth the extra $ for the ugly bird.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Get a Pelican and while you are at it, go ahead and invest in custom-cut closed cell foam for the case. There is a website called My Case builder that sells cases and allows you to custom design foam for your specific configuration.

custom cut foam

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using Storm cases since before they were bought by Pelican and continue to swear by them as by all indications, they've maintained the high standard that Storm set.

The dual latches on the end was the clincher. Too many stories of rifle cases at airports getting their ends pried-open and the long gun getting slipped-out.

Posts: 14567 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
I think the question becomes, is this spared no expense Custom M14 worth the extra $ for the ugly bird.

At this point, I think the cost of the Pelican over others is in the noise. Plus, I've been teaching a lot of classes on the side this year, so I don't mind treating myself a bit. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

The dual latches on the end was the clincher. Too many stories of rifle cases at airports getting their ends pried-open and the long gun getting slipped-out.

I noticed that about the other cases vs. the Protector. While I don't think it would be easy to pry one open on the end, I was surprised that their flagship tank model didn't have latches on the ends, but the Storms do.

quote:
Originally posted by mo4040:
Get a Pelican and while you are at it, go ahead and invest in custom-cut closed cell foam for the case. There is a website called My Case builder that sells cases and allows you to custom design foam for your specific configuration.

custom cut foam

I saw that. Ain't cheap, but I've heard good things. I'm almost tempted to just do my own because I have access to a fairly large hot wire foam cutter. If it turns out I suck at it, I can let the pros handle it.

Any thoughts on the shipping question? I was planning on UPS to send this out for bedding and some other items. Would cardboard be more discrete?

posted Hide Post
You just spent $5K on a rifle. Don't skimp on the case. Pelican all the way. (Mine are 1750's) I use an electric carving knife to customize inserts to my needs. Works great. Full foam inserts to fit are a lot cheaper than custom cut and you can customize to desire and for different situations.

Posts: 625 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:
You just spent $5K on a rifle. Don't skimp on the case. Pelican all the way. (Mine are 1750's) I use an electric carving knife to customize inserts to my needs. Works great. Full foam inserts to fit are a lot cheaper than custom cut and you can customize to desire and for different situations.

F.E.V.

Time for a mild intervention here (and I mean this with all the Sig Forum love I can muster Big Grin )

Let the highlighted sentences in the quote above marinate for a moment...

The cost of the case and foam is insignificant to the cost of your rifle and optic. Protect them as best you can. If you do plan on cutting your own foam, get closed-cell foam, as it does not retain moisture.

I spent nearly 33 years working at airports. The shit that will happen to your luggage is mind boggling. As pace40 said don't skimp.

However, having said all that, if you never plan on putting your rifle in the hands of others for transport, then you can tell me to F@#k-off and I would be in complete agreement. Smile

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Where did I indicate that I may skimp on the case? I put 3 Pelicans up for discussion as options. Confused

That doesn't seem like skimping. Walmart cases were never in the running. I don't mind looking at the other brands suggested, but I'm primarily focused on the Pelicans.

I'm simply aware of the fact that the most expensive doesn't always equal the best and wanted a more in-depth discussion.

No reason for anyone to fuck off; I'm just confused where this is coming from.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've got 4 SKB cases, heavy latches, pressurized, they are tough, and heavy.
There's nothing 2nd rate about them, and they aren't cheap. Sorry I've never had a Pelican.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All Pelicans are not equal (Protector, Storm, Air and Vault):

https://www.thecasestore.com/l...etween-pelican-cases

rambo

posted Hide Post
By the way, Pelican latches are a real pain in the...fingertips to open. This tool makes it easy and painless:

https://nalpak.com/Peliease-Latch-opener

rambo

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
By the way, there’s a company called Custom Case Builder that does custom interior for all the top line cases, Pelican, SKB and a bunch of others for the true custom touch … they sculpt the interior for your item & accessories… a step above pluck foam, and they have an assortment of different foam density so regardless of the case you select, they can help you with its interior!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post