SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Couldn't help it. Bought another project shotgun.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Couldn't help it. Bought another project shotgun. Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Well, according to the barrel date code, it was made in May of 1971. It looks like a lot of what I thought was rust was actually old decayed lubricant. I'm still working on getting the last of the shellack-like residue off the parts.

I might try acetone now. Maybe that will do it better than Hoppe's 9 powder solvent and CLP. My nylon bristle brush turned orange with all the crud I've got off the magazine tube and barrel.

The buttstock screw, bayonet screws, end cap extension nut and hand guard castle nut screw were a bear to get off. Once I broke 47 years of torque, the screws and nut all came off quite easily after that. I managed to do it without marring anything. It helps to have the right bits and castle nut removal tool.

It looks like only the receiver will need to be refinished. The scratches on the receiver are pretty nasty.

There are literally a thousand more out there like this and in better condition so I'm not going to get hung up on keeping it "all original." I may send the stock and hand guard off to a friend to be refinished. It looks like its got some pretty wood under there.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
I wish I had one of these.
Frown

I added myself to the "notify when in stock" but am not confident they will get more.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they come back in stock I will order one. Not holding my breath though.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
One of the other moderators on the M14 forum is a master at stock refinishing and he does it as a hobby. I sent him the wood to see what he could do with it. He shipped it back to me yesterday and sent me these teaser pics.

Before...

After...

Now I just have to send the metal parts to Brad at CCR to work his magic.

Tony.

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Purty. What’s the finish?

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
Purty. What’s the finish?

Pure awesomeness...

Honestly, I don't know and I never asked. I just said "Do your magic."

Tony.

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe that is the same stock. I never would have thought it could come out that nice!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Son of a bitch...

I saw these and thought at the time that one would be an awesome present for a buddy of mine. We commissioned together in 2010, he's currently kicking ass in...the Ohio National Guard.

Sadly my sentiment was faster than my wallet. Please do post finished pictures!

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Now just wait till I get the metal refinished...

Tony.