SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Let’s talk about the Benelli M1 Super 90.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let’s talk about the Benelli M1 Super 90. Login/Join 
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
It works well, but I can tell a difference in felt recoil between it and my more recently built/purchased Beretta 1301 Comp. I believe the gas operated shotguns do soften the blow when shooting heavy loads...
There's no doubt about it. Shoot the M1 next to, say, an 11-87P and there will be a noticeable difference (though in the case of the 11-87, milder recoil may be partly attributable to the steel receiver of the Remington), but I'll tell you- I like the recoil impulse of the Benelli. It feels...faster and more natural a shooter than gas-operated shotguns. I get along fine with this hard-kicking thing. I believe the word I'm looking for is sympatico.

When I bought the Super 90, I was shooting sporting clays with a Benelli Montefeltro. I had a breakage with the later and sent it back for repairs that took more than a year. As a result, I bought the first version of the Beretta A400 and found I was much more comfortable with it's recoil characteristics, and that's what led to my purchase of the 1301 Comp (a "Tactical" version of the A400 system). You're absolutely correct about the "sympatico" factor and that's why we've made the choices we did!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Would using Loctite on the screw work? Or a sleeve over the screw to keep the space between the receiver from binding on the bolt?
Or is it just plain counter-productive because the inertia-operated bolt?
No, the sides of the aluminum receiver are just too easy to squeeze together with that contraption mounted. As you can see, others in this thread have made such a setup work, but there's no way I'd chance it.

Here's an old video from hickok45. His example is contemporary to mine. For an interesting observation on light load cycle reliability with his M1, go to the 11:15 mark of the video. I wonder if he's had that butt cuff on his gun the whole time he's had it. As we've seen already, when it comes to this shotgun, light loads + added mass = trouble.

Thanks for the info and the videos.
Looks like a no-go for any add-on's to the gun.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
The super sexy M1 Super 90, mine is HK marked, extended tube, with rifle sights.

Every now and then I yearn to add an M3 to the collection ... one day.

HK Ag

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tschiemer:
I am not sure I know the differences between a M1 Super 90 and the M2..

Mostly cosmetic contour changes, though there are some small differences in the barrels.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
I had a Benelli M1 Super 90 for years. Ate everything I fed it. I ended up selling it for a nice profit and buying a M2 Tactical to replace it. I ended up installing an ESSTAC velcro/nylon sidesaddle shell holder to the receiver. It works great. Holds 7 rounds. I highly recommend it.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post