SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Let’s talk about the Benelli M1 Super 90.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let’s talk about the Benelli M1 Super 90. Login/Join 
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
We’ve had short barrel M1 Super 90s as our duty shotgun for almost 20 years.
For many years, I lusted after a 14" M1 Super 90. How about parts breakage? What has broken in these shotguns? Can you ask your armorer?

I'll have to take a few pics for you para, my m1 is a factory sbs. I bought it from another Dept dumping them for 300. Only thing I don't care for is the original style ghost ring sights vs the newer lpa style. Other than that, I cleaned it up, refinished it, and did a few things I prefer but mechanically nothing has changed and nothing has broken and the gun is probably 25 or 30 years old now.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about parts breakage? What has broken in these shotguns? Can you ask your armorer?

Sights break and that’s about it. But that’s from hitting things. Each shotgun is probably shot less than 100 rounds a year. Each gets cleaned and lubed during Thanksgiving weekend in prep for winter. Then they get cleaned and lubed again in March after shotgun qualifications.

If someone takes a shotgun to a class, they bring a spare just in case and we haven’t had any problems. Most guys grab the rifle over the shotgun. But sometimes I grab the shotgun because I love it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
You may like the gun better with the two shot extension in place. It would certainly give the gun a more lively swing without two extra rounds of 12 gauge hanging at the muzzle.

Furthermore, as an imported semi-automatic shotgun most M1 Super 90's fail the 922r sporting purpose definition with the 4-shot extension installed. Earlier guns (like para's) with the integral extended magazine tube pass the 922r compliance test since they were imported in this configuration. Creating some confusion however is the fact that during the interim period between the Bush Sr. 1989 import ban and Bill Clinton's infamous 1994 Crime Bill, an unknown number of Benelli M1's were imported with the 4-shot sectioned magazine tube installed. It is open to debate whether or not guns imported during this period are exempt from 922r restrictions since it is nearly impossible to determine the exact configuration of the shotgun at the time of importation. The 1994 Crime Bill added yet another absurd wrinkle which limited magazine capacity of all semi-automatic shotguns (imported or domestic) to five rounds - but only when combined with a pistol grip stock. For this reason, many Benelli owners (myself included) mistakenly believed the 4-shot extension was legal in combination with a traditional buttstock. It is important however to be aware while the restrictions of the crime bill expired in 2004, the 922r import restrictions of 1989 are still in effect. With that said, I suspect there are legions of Benelli owners who have unknowingly installed the 4-shot extension on their shotguns. While it is most unlikely any of these owners will ever face prosecution, if one is concerned with following the letter of the law, 922r compliance is easily achieved by replacing any two (2) of a number of designated parts approved by the ATF.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Would using Loctite on the screw work? Or a sleeve over the screw to keep the space between the receiver from binding on the bolt?
Or is it just plain counter-productive because the inertia-operated bolt?
No, the sides of the aluminum receiver are just too easy to squeeze together with that contraption mounted. As you can see, others in this thread have made such a setup work, but there's no way I'd chance it.

Here's an old video from hickok45. His example is contemporary to mine. For an interesting observation on light load cycle reliability with his M1, go to the 11:15 mark of the video. I wonder if he's had that butt cuff on his gun the whole time he's had it. As we've seen already, when it comes to this shotgun, light loads + added mass = trouble.

Here he is ten years later with the same gun. He's removed the butt cuff and added a slip-on recoil pad.

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
922r compliance info.

Thanks, that’s good to know. What parts are designated as 922r compliance parts? This came up in a YouTube video I watched last night and the fella mentioned internals as a way to get there. I’m wondering if re-springing it may not only be a good idea but a way to ensure compliance? Maybe an enlarged bolt handle or safety? 922r is not big in my knowledge base.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
CPD Sig, I was an MP so Uncle Sam gave me lots of opportunity to familiarize myself with the 870 as well. I enjoyed every range session with it.

that 870 had the polymer speed feed stock set but I prefer the wood, so I swapped it out. oh and yes, I had the original top folder on another 870..that didn't last long before I passed it on to someone else. brutal

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The one parabellum has could be mine except mine is a little older (purchased new in 1987). Like his, mine has never malfunctioned with anything, although I’ve mostly shot light birdshot with it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
922r compliance info.

What parts are designated as 922r compliance parts? This came up in a YouTube video I watched last night and the fella mentioned internals as a way to get there. I’m wondering if re-springing it may not only be a good idea but a way to ensure compliance? Maybe an enlarged bolt handle or safety? 922r is not big in my knowledge base.

In the case of the Benelli M1, the owner may choose which two (2) parts to replace - but only from a specific list of 12 parts as defined by the ATF. I've attached a link to a short tutorial from the Freeedom Fighter Tactical website which does a great job explaining 922r compliance as it relates to Benelli shotguns. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for an informative video re: the M1 & M2 models.

https://freedomfightertactical.com/pages/922r-faq

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, I may end up doing some business with them.

BF date code. 1995. Just paid it off, and just got the proceed. Comes home with me… NOW. Big Grin

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
BF date code. 1995. Just paid it off, and just got the proceed. Comes home with me… NOW. Big Grin

Congratulations! I'm certain you will be pleased. I've owned a few M1's over the years. The only part I've ever replaced was the rubber o-ring on the firing pin retainer. My current Benelli M1 is a BB (1992) wearing a 26" vent-rib field barrel. I'd love to find a shorter 21" barrel to replicate the gun I foolishly traded on a SIG Arms SA5 (Rizzini) O/U back in 1999. As you probably know, M1's and genuine M1 accessory barrels are increasing difficult to locate - for good reason. Enjoy!

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good deal. I don't have a M1, but I have a police trade-in Beretta 1201FP from the same era, which is mostly a M1. (Beretta owns Benelli, and while the barrel, receiver, and mag tube are a little different, the action, bolt carrier group, trigger group, and stock are the same between the M1 and 1201FP.) It's been a blast.

And to para's earlier point, while clamping a side saddle on the aluminum receiver is bound to cause issues, I've had no problems from the additional weight of the Mesa Urbino M1 stock or its buttstock shell caddy.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
Congratulations! I'm certain you will be pleased. I've owned a few M1's over the years. The only part I've ever replaced was the rubber o-ring on the firing pin retainer. My current Benelli M1 is a BB (1992) wearing a 26" vent-rib field barrel. I'd love to find a shorter 21" barrel to replicate the gun I foolishly traded on a SIG Arms SA5 (Rizzini) O/U back in 1999. As you probably know, M1's and genuine M1 accessory barrels are increasing difficult to locate - for good reason. Enjoy!

Thanks! Yeah, I haven't even shot it yet and I already really like it. This shotgun definitely feels quality. Very glad I didn't pass this one up! Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I don't have a M1, but I have a police trade-in Beretta 1201FP...

Yeah, I was reading about those and remembered the police trade ins thread a while back. I like your setup.

So, a pair of Italian shotguns with Hk import marks. I’m pleased.

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I've had an M1S90 since 1990 or so. 24 inch barrel, which is great for goose hunting over decoys out of a pit. I've also killed 15-20 wild turkeys with it. The only issue I ever had was shooting reloads that had not had the base resized. They would not come back out of the magazine. Once I got the tool to resize the bases, problem solved. They are one hell of a great firearm and will cycle any ammo you try. They run all day long when very dirty too.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smudge -- my HD firearm looks exactly like the one on the left above.

I like the idea of putting 16 .30 cal holes in something with a single pull of the trigger if necessary.

no issues with reliability. smooth as silk.

---------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Have you tried placing a shell on the lifter, now that you have it home?

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Consumables are mostly the carrier spring, and the inertia spring can get used up if you shoot a lot.
I did have to change the recoil spring on one once.

As said, adding a ridged side saddle changes the mass of the gun and can screw up cycling. A velcro and elastic style side saddle on the other hand don't seem to effect them nearly as much, if at all. I guess because they have give to them. A friend had one put together by a well known builder of "race guns" in the 3-gun world. When he got it he added a rigid side saddle and it wouldn't function reliably. Speaking to the builder, he said take it off and throw it away. If you MUST have one, try a soft elastic one. He did and it ran fine from then on out.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you tried placing a shell on the lifter, now that you have it home?

I tried earlier and couldn't get it to work. Before replying I tried it again just now, and I got it to go! It's tricky, but it works. Big Grin

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So, you load you magazine tube full, then place a shell on the lifter, then, while the bolt is still open (you're holding it open manually), drop a shell in the chamber and let the bolt slam forward. In your shotgun's current configuration, you'll have seven shells in the gun. The shell in the chamber and the one on the lifter can be 3" loads. Maybe you can squeeze another 3" shell in with the other (4) 2 3/4" shells in the mag tube. I don't think that mag tube will hold five 3" shells, but give it a try if you can and let us know.

Another great thing about this quirk of the M1 is that you can carry the gun with six loaded in it (which should be the maximum) but with an empty chamber. So, let's say you keep the gun ready for HD use. Empty chamber is the safe way to store it, and with the shell on the lifter, all you have to do is cycle the bolt and you've got a round in the chamber. You can do this, of course, by pressing the shell release to feed a round from magazine to lifter and then cycling the bolt, but then, you have only five rounds in the gun.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I don't have any 3" shells, but I'm going to hit up all the local shops tomorrow and see what I can find. Work has been so slow lately that I took a voluntary furlough for most of this week and it worked out very nicely, as I stopped in the gun shop on a whim on the way home and saw the M1, had time to go in the next day as soon as they opened to put it on layaway, and today managed to sell some gear to cover the balance and go pick it up. Tomorrow is ammo shopping. Doesn't get any better than that. Like you, I moved on to the rifle for HD, and with that, I stopped buying 12ga because my shotgun just sat in the safe. Time to mix it up a little. Wink

quote:
Empty chamber is the safe way to store it, and with the shell on the lifter, all you have to do is cycle the bolt and you've got a round in the chamber.

I like this. I think that's what I'll end up doing.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We load 5 in the tube and one on the lifter with chamber empty which is how we carry it in the car.

If we load the chamber, it will do 7. I just did a 7 to show the rookies. I’ll look for a video. One of them took one.

I’ll link the video once I get to a desktop but here’s a pic next to a 10.5” rifle. The mix matched rifles are going back to the gov’t soon once our DD rifles come in.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post