SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Marlin 60 for a quick range trip
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 60 for a quick range trip Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Many have these. I am guessing Marlin made thousands of them over several decades. Put a target up at 50 yards. Rifle has a Simmons 3-9 scope on it. Off of a so so rest, pummeled a baseball sized hole in the target with about 50-60 rounds of some really old Remington .22LR hollow points. Never a hiccup. It was satisfying and fun. Cool

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Nice! It's hard to be a model 60.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
My first long gun purchase was a model 60. After many thousands of rounds through it, it was still reliable and accurate.

One day back in the late 80’s, a buddy and I were bored at the local closed coal mine slag pit and decided to set up some plastic Skoal cans on their sides at about 30 yards and plink with open sights. Try as we might, we could not get them to drop. When we moved up to set up some larger objects we found several holes neatly punched through the cans that had apparently whizzed through without knocking them down. It was impressive how well the old girl shot.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have a Glenfield, basically the same rifle. My father bought it when I was probably still in diapers. We cleaned it for the first time when I was approaching 30, by which time it had about 50 billion rounds through it. We pulled the action from the stock , touched it with a rag and several large pieces of what I thought at first was metal fell out. It wasn't, it was just gunk. Powder debris and what not had filled pretty much every void in the action solid with the stuff. Even so it always functioned fine.
We never did clean the barrel.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Many have these. I am guessing Marlin made thousands of them over several decades.

That's putting it lightly. The Model 60 was released in 1960, and according to Marlin, they sold over 11 million of them.

Ruger owns Marlin now. It's doubtful they'll resume production of the Model 60, since it's a direct competitor to their 10/22.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My Marlin (actually Glenfield) Model 60 from Montgomery Wards was my first rifle, and I still have it.

I added a set of Tech Sights peep sights to it about 10 years ago, which made a great rifle even better.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Model 60 had an untold number of rounds through it before its recoil buffer broke apart. 40+ years old, maybe? Quick swap and it rocks again.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
My first gun was a Marlin Glenfield Model 60 still blasts like the day I bought it 20 some years ago and even then it was well used.
I have bought every Marlin I have come across with that little squirrel on the stock I have come across in person.
I think I am up to 7 maybe.

I am really hoping Ruger will rerelease the Model 60. If so I will buy 3 the second they are available for my boys.
The 60 is so much better than the 10/22.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My first was a 60 as well.
NRA Edition, I believe, with the medallion in the stock.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Yep. Except when it comes to aftermarket support, or ease of disassembly/reassembly, or rapid reloading, or magazine capacity, or... Big Grin

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
with ammunition at ready one can get pretty quick at a full reload though. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
The Marlin 60 tube holds 15 rounds vs the standard 10/22 magazine of 10.

Sure you can buy 25 round mags but one of the fun things about .22LR is the low cost. Also loading magazines for the 10/22 takes away from shooting time. Also the bigger magazines get in the way when shooting from the bench.

On my Marlin 60, I've rotated the magazine tube to be able to load directly from a 50 or 100 round box. I also have inexpensive speedloader tubes so there's no need to handle single cartridges.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Yep. Except when it comes to aftermarket support, or ease of disassembly/reassembly, or rapid reloading, or magazine capacity, or... Big Grin

None of that is needed.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Hickok45 got into the model 60. Specifically the 18 rnd with last round hold back from the 80s. My older squirrel stock version is "JM" stamped.
They are a fun project gun.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I have a Glenfield Model 60 with the press checkering squirrel on the grip. As was said ^^^ the original models held I think it holds 17 but it could be 18 rounds of Long Rifle .22.

It was my first rifle, my parents bought it for me at Target in North Houston (Greens Road) one evening after school. I was probably in 8th grade. I was so glad to finally have my own rifle.

HK Ag

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
The Marlin 60 tube holds 15 rounds vs the standard 10/22 magazine of 10.

Sure you can buy 25 round mags but one of the fun things about .22LR is the low cost. Also loading magazines for the 10/22 takes away from shooting time. Also the bigger magazines get in the way when shooting from the bench.

On my Marlin 60, I've rotated the magazine tube to be able to load directly from a 50 or 100 round box. I also have inexpensive speedloader tubes so there's no need to handle single cartridges.

I've seen recommendations of a proper diameter arrow shaft that holds the 22lr rounds & you can pre-load multiple 'speedloaders' & you just have to pull the spring tube & dump the rounds down the tube.

Haven't gotten around to trying it.
But, the 60 is a fun plinker, so a few extra seconds to reload is no big deal.

The above 'speedloader' I'd seen referenced for using a 60 in something like an Appleseed class, to reduce time spent reloading between strings of fire.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Model 60 was my first gun as well. Mine is a carbine. I have to replace/repair the stock as it has a crack on the pistol grip. Great shooter, lots of fun!

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
My first gun. Accurate as hell. I did something and bent a spring or something and it started jamming regularly. I fooled with it for a year or so and got it going again. Then I took it apart for cleaning and bent whatever again and it started jamming again. I put it in the closet and forgot about it. Need to dig it out. Anybody know what I did or how to fix? It will eject the fired case and literally bend the net round in half.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
My first gun. Accurate as hell. I did something and bent a spring or something and it started jamming regularly. I fooled with it for a year or so and got it going again. Then I took it apart for cleaning and bent whatever again and it started jamming again. I put it in the closet and forgot about it. Need to dig it out. Anybody know what I did or how to fix? It will eject the fired case and literally bend the net round in half.

It's probably the ejector spring that's bent. These things are really finicky...it has to be about perfect to run right. I have a model 70, which is the box magazine fed version, and it is even trickier because if there's any slop between the mag and the mag catch, it throws the tolerances off and becomes a jammomatic. Also, when you re-assemble the gun, always lock the bolt to the rear (or on the case of my 70, which doesn't have a bolt catch, hold it to the rear) before mating the lower assembly to the upper, otherwise you risk bending the ejector out of place through contact with the bolt.

You can use a nickel and a penny as gauges to set the correct offset of the ejector from the feed ramp. You want both the vertical and horizontal offsets to be more than the width of a penny but less than the width of a nickel. Here's a video demonstrating it...should make a lot more sense once you see it (sorry I'm on my tablet and can't get the embed code, just the link): https://youtu.be/np-r3ZmbBJE

Also, while you're in there check the condition of the buffer. They can deteriorate and eventually need to be replaced.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glenfield 60 was my first gun. About 1979.
Right after I got it a buddy and I went to a dry creekbed with about a 20 foot wall with thousands of icicles on it. I'll bet I put 500 rounds picking off those icicles. Good times.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post