SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    If you wanted a new 5.56 AR and had $2000 to spend, which would you buy?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you wanted a new 5.56 AR and had $2000 to spend, which would you buy? Login/Join 
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
My two nicest factory Uppers are Knights Armament and BCM. I recently added a Sons of Liberty Gun Works 13.7” complete rifle and it’s fit and finish is excellent. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy any of those three.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
1. Knights Armamrnt
2. Geissele
3. Primary Weapons Systems

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37071 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Lewis Machine & Tool (LMT).
https://lmtdefense.com/product/defender-l-5-56/

Posts: 12429 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy my PWS Mk114; extremely well made, solid reliability to date and it does meet the sub-$2K criteria. Mine is an older Mod 1 but I'd have no problem picking up another if a Mod 2 weren't available.

A buddy has an older KA SR-15 that is one supremely well made rifle that has held up well over the years. Back when he bought it it was a sub-$2K rifle but nowadays they're often in the mid to upper 2K range price-wise, depending on build options. But having shot that one on many occasions I'd love to have one of those.

We sell DDs; the M4V7 Pro with the Geissele trigger is a sweet build and retailed in the mid 1800s when we last had one in. I've only shot a DD rifle once; I liked it in general but the trigger on that one was worse than Mil-spec. Another we sell: I like how well made the Barrett Rec7 DI is and customers who've bought this one have been quite pleased with how they've performed. They usually go in the mid teens when we get them in and no, I haven't had the opportunity to shoot one.

I also like Bravo Company rifles a lot. I wouldn't mind at all saving some $$$ and getting one of their mid-length builds instead of spending the whole 2 grand on a single rifle. We sell Noveske rifles from time to time (I do like their barrels) but they're well over $2K these days.

Then again, there's a way overbudget MR556 ($3K plus) sitting on our rifle rack that keeps whispering to me...

-MG

Posts: 1921 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
A DD or BCM will do anything you need. I’ve got several of each. Taken a lot of hard core classes with them and they have never let me down.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7933 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. Passed on a list for consideration.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
That’s the question.

Additional considerations:

Carbine length suitable for personal defense or law enforcement patrol use.
No need to be capable of using ammunition suitable for long range (>600 yard) target games.
Good overall quality, not necessarily finest precision, but I assume that anything in that price range should put bullets close to where they’re aimed with good ammunition.

Asking for a friend (yes, really Wink ).
I have already recommended looking at Wilson Combat offerings because that’s what I purchased for myself most recently, but I’d like to suggest others if appropriate.

Daniel Defense M4A1

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
FN most likely.

Posts: 9942 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geissele Super Duty would be my current first choice. Forged C158+ steel bolt with Nanoweapon coated bcg. Mk16 handguard is my favorite and on the Super Duty rifles it has tongue-in-groove “keyed” upper to handguard anti-rotation. SSA-X trigger. CHF CL barrel. It’s a great rifle for the price.

If he really wants carbine length handguard and gas system, I’d go straight Colt 6920 and add a drop in rail. My go to for that is KAC RAS. DD Omega is great too. If he can wrench on guns the Centurion C4 mlok would be a great choice too.

Whatever he buys, have him get a quality optic, not a Chinesium turd.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JoshNC,

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2313 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Well, I bought a $750 Sig M400 Tread, ammo, sling, PMAGS, MBUS, and flashlight. I am at $1700 and I still need to decide on a red dot and magnifier... I guess I needed more than $2k for my budget $750 rifle. YMMV but as I am discovering, the rifle is just the beginning.

Good luck. It has been fun building up my new rifle, may your experience be just as fun.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I am planning to buy a Sionics Precision rifle:

https://sionicsweaponsystems.c...ecision-rifle-three/

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2827 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If a carbine, a Colt repro XM177
If a rifle is permitted, a Colt repro M16A1
Guess which era I'm from... Razz

Pete Sheppard
Powder smoke: The smell of FREEDOM!

Posts: 8 | Location: Birmingham AL | Registered: August 13, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
I am planning to buy a Sionics Precision rifle:

https://sionicsweaponsystems.c...ecision-rifle-three/

That is awesome. I damn near hit "Add to cart".
I have been itching for something like this. My Colts are nice but not like that rifle.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
I’d get one that was side charging and allowed for a folding brace or stock: Foxtrot Mike FM-15, PSA JAKL, BRN-180. All 3 pictured here (plus a Bren and Galil Ace).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Accomplice,

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1948 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
Noveske would be my 1st choice.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I have first hand experience with BCM and Noveske so those two would have to be over mere opinions.

For myself I am increasingly attracted to POF for my next rifle.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6236 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I’m having minor buyer’s remorse not going with an LWRC or POF Renegade for about $1500 because I’m really interested in having a full ambi AR lower that I can pair with any upper, but my 11.5” Geissele Super Duty is a beast of a gun if a little heavier than expected.

Posts: 4120 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Thanks for all the suggestions. Passed on a list for consideration.

It's been 3 months since you passed on the list to your buddy. Did he make a decision?

Posts: 7845 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
It's been 3 months since you passed on the list to your buddy. Did he make a decision?

The one who asked for advice is a former member of my agency who moved away and whom I don’t have much contact with. The request was out of the blue and hasn’t been mentioned since I offered some recommendations based on my own limited knowledge and what were suggested here.

So, to answer, I don’t know. Perhaps I should ask. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shadowboxer
posted Hide Post
I run a shooting group with over 1,500 members and also teach classes.

I have owned or shot just about every AR there is.

My favorite low budget is Colt. My favorite no-matter-what-the-budget is Geissele. You can get them in black for under $2K.

------------------------------------------------------------

Proud to be in Texas!

Posts: 945 | Location: Texas! | Registered: October 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post