SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Wilson Combat, Hard Chrome, Bulletproof, BCG $99
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wilson Combat, Hard Chrome, Bulletproof, BCG $99 Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
It’s a blemish but whoodlyooooo!
Great price. $116 after tax and shipping for me.
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/B...TR%2DBCABP%2DC%2DBL/

Merry Christmas!!!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25334 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent late Christmas present to yourself.
I have a holster and charging handle coming.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads-up; my first chromed BCG, but I am impressed with Wilson Combat product.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to second the thanks for the heads-up on this deal.

Thank you! Smile

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang. That's a pretty nice deal, and you can never have too many spare parts.

Sigforum strikes again.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 870 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up.
Just ordered two BCG's and a couple shirts for $8 each.
Blems never bother me, I will either bead blast or Cerakote anyway.
Nice impulse buy! Cool

Posts: 22842 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
Yes, the impulse hit me also.
Just a few more bits and another AR is born. Wink

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1536 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Thanks for the heads up.
Just ordered two BCG's and a couple shirts for $8 each.
Blems never bother me, I will either bead blast or Cerakote anyway.
Nice impulse buy! Cool

I'm not sure I would ceracoat a BCG!

Posts: 14112 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
That's a darn good deal. I don't need another BCG.... right?

A parts bin just sprang forth a rifle a few months ago.

Posts: 14112 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
I will either bead blast or Cerakote anyway.

I'm not sure I would ceracoat a BCG!

Never heard of anyone ceracoating a BCG. I see no need, nor an advantage of doing it. Sounds like a great way to screw up a quality product.

As for buying spare bolts and BCGs, it makes sense. Sorta. I keep a couple of spare bolts, for when I retire two AR barrels that are getting a little long in the tooth. Uncertain if I have a carrier -- I've never heard of anyone wearing one out. I do know of a couple of instructors who changed out their carriers after 20-25k rounds, just because. But they stated the carriers still looked pretty good.

Buying spare bolts/BCGs when the gun owner has no plans to shoot out & replace barrels means that the owner is steadily acquiring parts for the next build. This is a planned action, and definitely isn't the trite "look at my latest build, from random parts I just found lying around in a box in my basement".

Posts: 7844 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
^^^ I just coat the carrier not the bolt.
I will use the Microslick formulation on it if I coat it and most likely will.
I have finished several carriers before with absolutely zero issues.
In the past I have use a similar formulation made by Gunkote.

So now you have heard of it. Eek

Posts: 22842 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just happened to have bought a stripped upper. What a coincidence. Any charging handles on deep discount ?

Posts: 4733 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will use the Microslick formulation on it if I coat it and most likely will.
I have finished several carriers before with absolutely zero issues.
In the past I have use a similar formulation made by Gunkote.

So now you have heard of it. Eek

I could see where it would adhere well to a parkerized carrier as they are pretty rough. I wonder how well it would stick to hard chrome. Have you done it on a chromed carrier?

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I am not sure I would coat it. I am pretty sure all of Wilson Combat’s “Bullet Proof” products are backed with a lifetime warranty.
Being that these are strictly cosmetic blemishes I would presume that possibly still applies.
If not I figure they would take the Bullet Proof out of the product name and just call it a hard chrome blemished bolt carrier assembly.

But like more times than not I could be wrong.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
"Cerakote Micro Slick is used to assist with friction areas and shedding of oil."

I certainly wouldn't coat a chromed item. and while certainly that particular cerakote product looks interesting in some applications who in their right mind wants the bolt carrier to shred oil?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10965 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:

I could see where it would adhere well to a parkerized carrier as they are pretty rough. I wonder how well it would stick to hard chrome.

Have you done it on a chromed carrier?

No and good point and I may not coat it (carrier).
It's why I said I might only bead blast it.
In the past I only have used Gunkote PTFE finish and yes those were parkerized and came out and worked fantastic.
Only mentioned the Cerakote product as I have some and was considering it.
Adhering to hard chrome could be an issue and something to consider.
FWIW, Cerakote can be applied to chrome if the surface is prepared correctly.

https://www.cerakote.com/resou...hrome-plated-surface

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
"Cerakote Micro Slick is used to assist with friction areas and shedding of oil."

I certainly wouldn't coat a chromed item. and while certainly that particular cerakote product looks interesting in some applications who in their right mind wants the bolt carrier to shred oil?

You do know shedding and shredding are different things? Eek

posted Hide Post
Got my BCG yesterday.

As Scrappy Coco would say, it's "silky smooth" and will "make the good bang-boom." (although in a slightly different context from his reference).

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Mine arrived today sure looked pretty.
I recently built a mostly Wilson AR but had a RRA BCG laying around so I used that.
Have since bought another upper and lower build so figured this fit best in the Wilson gun.
Put a nice little coat of MPro7 on the the BCG and slid her on in the gun.
Gave a nice pull and everything was nice and smooth so I did it again.
Something did not sound right and I see that the the carrier group is not fully seated.
It appears the bolt has rotated and now the barrel extension lugs are lined up with the bolt lugs and not staggered as they should for the bolt to seat in the barrel extension.

I have not seen such a thing and now I am in a bit of a quandary. I tried to get the bolt to rotate slightly for the lugs to line up properly. No luck.
And of course I can’t split the upper from the lower since the carrier won’t go forward enough to leave the buffer tube.

Not sure the best way to remedy this.
Any suggestions?

————————————————

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a vertical butt strike (so-called “mortaring”*) would drive the bolt carrier group back down and rotate the lugs out of position in the normal manner—?

If that didn’t work, removing the receiver extension (buffer tube) to get at the BCG with some sort of tool (hook?)? Hardly ideal, but maybe the best of bad options.

But perhaps I misunderstood. Has the barrel extension rotated? Is the cam pin in the BCG?

* Another term I dislike.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post