SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig Cross - Now With Range Update
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Cross - Now With Range Update Login/Join 
posted
Never knew about this rifle until last weekend. After handling it at the shop, I asked them to order me one in all black. My Cross should be at my LGS by Thursday. It’s a 6.5 Creedmoor (Not sure why I went with this caliber, know nothing about it, but that’s another thread).

Optics question:

I have a spare Nightforce 2.5-10x24 NXS Compact with MOAR. I ordered Nightforce ultra lite rings that are .885 in height.

I know the rail on the Cross is 20 MOA, do you think the rings are too short? The ocular lens isn’t huge on the NF. It’s a 30MM tube all the way out to the objective lens.

UPDATE: .885 rings are fine if you’re using an optic with a small objective. However, if you’re like me, and do a lot of stalking, standing, and not sitting while hunting, higher rings might be better.

I replaced the low rings with NF 1.5” height rings and it makes a huge difference, at least for me. Better head placement, ability to get the hand out onto the forward rail for better control, less muscular fatigue all around.

This is going to be my hunting rifle and paper puncher.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: davidjinks,

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I can’t imagine that a 20 MOA base would introduce enough tilt for interference between the rail and a 24mm objective, especially as short as the scope is. Ring height does of course matter as well, but to cite one example I have a long scope with 56mm objective that extends 11+ inches forward of the rings (including a 4 inch sunshade) in a Spuhr +6 mil (20.6 MOA) mount that’s 1.5" high. Although it comes close to the rail at the front, there’s enough room for Camoform wrap and lens cap.

Sounds like a nice setup. I am interested in the Cross and would appreciate a review and range report. Smile

FWIW, I have had excellent results with Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor match ammunition.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neighbor bought one in .308 Winchester twp weeks ago.
We have not been to the range yet.
Very interested to see what it can do.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
A 24mm bell is almost no bell at all.
I have the same optic on my scar17 right now.

Additionally, the rail on the cross is very short - the rifle slopes down real quick so even if you have a scope with an actual bell on it - it's VERY forgiving.
I have an NX8 2.5-20 on my cross.
I don't remember which rings I put on it, but they're not huge.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
6.5 Creedmore is a 1k meter and longer round. You will find the Nightforce 2.5-10x24 NXS Compact underpowered for anything reaching the full potential of the cartridge.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Some thoughts to encourage anyone who is perhaps just getting into shooting with a precision rifle.

First, no rifle is a 1000 meter rifle unless we have ready access to a 1000 meter range. It’s fun to think about and even preparing to do that if we can make a special effort for the experience, but I’d be surprised if it were something that’s available to most shooters.

That doesn’t mean, though, that we can’t benefit from and enjoy a precision rifle setup. Hitting a 10-inch target at 1000 yards isn’t as easy as hitting a 1-inch target at 100 yards for several reasons, but the latter can still be a valuable learning experience and satisfying challenge. One favorite drill of mine that I was introduced to by member offgrid is trying to hit a series of dots without a miss, and most often my gun is a Ruger 77/22 and the targets are 1/2 inch dots at 50 yards. When that became too easy from the prone, I moved to kneeling with a tripod for support.

But rimfire practice isn’t the same as with a centerfire even at reduced distances, and I expect that a rifle like the Cross with good ammunition will have the inherent precision capability to eliminate the “Was that me or the rifle?” questions about misses that are more common with rimfire guns.

A 10×24mm scope is indeed seldom used on precision rifles these days when there are so many other excellent choices that are more suited for long range shooting. But to return to shorter ranges, and assuming we’re not going to be hunting under low light conditions, such a good quality scope will be fine. It’s not what I’d buy for the purpose, but there’s nothing wrong with using one that’s on hand. If we become dissatisfied with its limitations for some reason, get a replacement then. And keep in mind that at one time a 10× scope was considered to be really powerful. US military snipers used fixed 10- and lower-power scopes for many years.

I also believe that 6.5 Creedmoor is a good first choice. Name almost any specific purpose and it will be possible to point to a specific cartridge that will do it better, but for many purposes the 6.5 is excellent, and its popularity is no small reason why.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
6.5 Creedmore is a 1k meter and longer round. You will find the Nightforce 2.5-10x24 NXS Compact underpowered for anything reaching the full potential of the cartridge.

This rifle is not for PRS, it is going to be a hunting rifle with some paper punching in between.

My longest shot available to me is 250 yards for my hunting location. Normally I take my deer within 100 yards. Hopefully closer because I’m old and lazy and don’t want to drag a deer.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Some thoughts to encourage anyone who is perhaps just getting into shooting with a precision rifle.

First, no rifle is a 1000 meter rifle unless we have ready access to a 1000 meter range. It’s fun to think about and even preparing to do that if we can make a special effort for the experience, but I’d be surprised if it were something that’s available to most shooters.

That doesn’t mean, though, that we can’t benefit from and enjoy a precision rifle setup. Hitting a 10-inch target at 1000 yards isn’t as easy as hitting a 1-inch target at 100 yards for several reasons, but the latter can still be a valuable learning experience and satisfying challenge. One favorite drill of mine that I was introduced to by member offgrid is trying to hit a series of dots without a miss, and most often my gun is a Ruger 77/22 and the targets are 1/2 inch dots at 50 yards. When that became too easy from the prone, I moved to kneeling with a tripod for support.

But rimfire practice isn’t the same as with a centerfire even at reduced distances, and I expect that a rifle like the Cross with good ammunition will have the inherent precision capability to eliminate the “Was that me or the rifle?” questions about misses that are more common with rimfire guns.

A 10×24mm scope is indeed seldom used on precision rifles these days when there are so many other excellent choices that are more suited for long range shooting. But to return to shorter ranges, and assuming we’re not going to be hunting under low light conditions, such a good quality scope will be fine. It’s not what I’d buy for the purpose, but there’s nothing wrong with using one that’s on hand. If we become dissatisfied with its limitations for some reason, get a replacement then. And keep in mind that at one time a 10× scope was considered to be really powerful. US military snipers used fixed 10- and lower-power scopes for many years.

I also believe that 6.5 Creedmoor is a good first choice. Name almost any specific purpose and it will be possible to point to a specific cartridge that will do it better, but for many purposes the 6.5 is excellent, and its popularity is no small reason why.

I will have to try the dot shooting. I converted my Tikka in .308 to a long range gun. I’ll probably try the Cross out with that as well. Practice never hurts.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:

Additionally, the rail on the cross is very short - the rifle slopes down real quick so even if you have a scope with an actual bell on it - it's VERY forgiving.
I have an NX8 2.5-20 on my cross.
I don't remember which rings I put on it, but they're not huge.

Much appreciated!

Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by creslin:

I hate to thread drift, but I’d love to see a picture of your 17 with the NF 2.5x10

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
As requested:

And one without the curious doggos:

And to avoid too much thread drift.... here's my cross:

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
That short Picatinny rail on the receiver of the Cross and how the rest of the front handguard is so much lower is a good design feature. Most shooters aren’t going to need to attach anything to the top of the guard in front of the scope, but if it’s necessary, just add a rail of the appropriate length to the M-LOK slot(s). That would be one thing I’d change about my Tikkas.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
davidjinks -- You should have no issues with the front (objective) end of your NF 2.5-10x24 scope touching something on the rifle. There is essentially no front bell on this scope, as the tube doesn't flare out in diameter. With the low rings you ordered you might need to lower the height of your rifle's cheek rest, in order to achieve the cheek weld that works best for you.

creslin -- I suspect the scope on your Scar 17 is a NF 2.5-10x32, based on the slight flare of the front bell. I don't seem to have pictures at the moment, but I have rifles with both NF 2.5-10x32 and NF 2.5-10x42 scopes.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
creslin -- I suspect the scope on your Scar 17 is a NF 2.5-10x32, based on the slight flare of the front bell. I don't seem to have pictures at the moment, but I have rifles with both NF 2.5-10x32 and NF 2.5-10x42 scopes.

Oh shit i think you might be right.
it’s been a good while since i bought it

They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davidjinks:
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:

This rifle is not for PRS, it is going to be a hunting rifle with some paper punching in between.

My longest shot available to me is 250 yards for my hunting location. Normally I take my deer within 100 yards. Hopefully closer because I’m old and lazy and don’t want to drag a deer.

Nevermind. I use a Leupold 2.5-8x36 on my deer rifle. Great scope for deer. Even at 25 years, the amount of light it pulls through in a low light situations is amazing.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quick review post range trip today…

100 rounds:

40 rounds 140 grain Federal Gold Medal Match
60 rounds 120 grain Sig HT all copper bullet

The rifle is exceptionally accurate out of the box. I did a partial barrel break-in but nothing fancy. Side note; I’ve done 2 barrel break-ins in the past and I’ve never seen anything spectacular about it.

Fed GMM will definitely hold under an inch. The Sig ammo has potential, I’m thinking if I’m going to be attempting small groups I’ll need to throw a bipod on the rifle. I was shooting off a bag with a rear bag and had quite a few flyers. That’s on me though.

I will definitely need higher rings. I’m thinking 1-1.5” rings will really help out with my shooting position.

Couple things to note:

The safety is nice in that it is very AR-esque. What I don’t like about it is that it has this weird 45° position between safe and off safe. It will not fire in the 45° position but I think that’s a problem waiting to happen. Maybe.

The Fed GMM functioned flawlessly. Zero issues with chambering, locking, shooting, extracting, and ejecting. The Sig ammo was very tight when closing the chamber. By tight I mean out of the 60 rounds shot, I pounded on the bolt handle for about 15 rounds. The other rounds were just tight to close which took a little more effort. They all functioned without issue on extracting and ejecting. I’m thinking it may be the nickel plated cases. None of the fired rounds showed any signs of overpressure. I was able to shoot the last 20 rounds of the GMM and they closed in the chamber without issue or force.

I’m going to try out some different rounds next range trip. However, I think I’ll be sticking with the Sig ammo for hunting. Without the flyers, I was able to hold a solid 11 rounds at an inch that’s out of a 15 round group.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Sounds good.
Thanks for the report.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
Can anyone recommend me a solid cleaning rod guide for this rifle?

I have one for my precision ARs but I forget the manufacturer. I do remember I bought it at Cabelas.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a box full of Possum Hollow bore guides and they work and hold up fine.

The SIG Cross was not on the one listing of guides available that I could find, but I suspect it’s just not up to date. They will make guides to order, I believe, if not listed. I wanted a guide for a SIG MCX in 300 Blackout and they made it for me although it wasn’t a listed item.

https://possumhollowproducts.com/BORE_GUIDES.html

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

I have a box full of Possum Hollow bore guides and they work and hold up fine.

The SIG Cross was not on the one listing of guides available that I could find, but I suspect it’s just not up to date. They will make guides to order, I believe, if not listed. I wanted a guide for a SIG MCX in 300 Blackout and they made it for me although it wasn’t a listed item.

https://possumhollowproducts.com/BORE_GUIDES.html

You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman!

Thank you!