Green Mountain Boy

| Absolute. On my AR the sights are high enough as it is and I have flip down buis or none at all.
!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off
Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
|
| | |
Freethinker

| quote: Originally posted by Il Cattivo: It's nice to have the less-cluttered sight picture that comes with using a red dot and folded-down irons but ....
I agree, and admit I didn’t understand what you were getting at. My “CQB” ARs (training and serious) both have fixed front sights and with a 1/3 view I have never had any problem using them with Aimpoint sights as fast as I could acquire targets. As I mentioned above, I am simply unaware of the iron sights. And as a somewhat related note, something I have my students practice is using their nonmagnifying optics (Aimpoints, EOTechs, et al.) with the illuminated reticle turned off and no rear BUIS. I just center the target in the “window,” but some shooters like to use the visible front sight (without the rear) as an index even without a rear sight to align it with. With both techniques it’s possible to get reasonably accurate hits on short range targets (to about 15 yards).
“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” — Plato |
| | | Posts: 49957 | Location: 10,160 Feet Above Sea Level in Commirado | Registered: April 04, 2002 |  
IP
|
|
Experienced Slacker
| Update: Bought a Holosun HS503GU and just finished mounting it 1/3.
That's how it came set up, and it does seem like a good way to go now that I've looked through it that way. It did come with a low mount, and a battery as well, in case anyone was wondering.
Hope things shoot straight, still need to find out.
Thanks for the responses. |
| | |
Banned
| Tried both and have settled on lower 1/3. |
| | |
My hypocrisy goes only so far

| For me it depends on the ARs set up. I prefer lower 1/3 for ARs with a fixed front sight & absolute with BUIS odd as that may sound.
U.S.M.C. VFW-8054 III% "Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be " |
| | | Posts: 7032 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008 |  
IP
|
|
Inject yourself!
| Bump.
Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs. Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops ! Expectations are premeditated disappointments. |
| | |
E tan e epi tas

| I like true co-witness. If all goes wrong the red dot becomes a giant ghost ring. That being said I am no gunfighter nor girlscout and have no desire to run my guns as weapons ever. This is just a low speed, high drag hobbiest's perspective.
Take Care, Shoot Safe, Chris
|
| | | Posts: 8788 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002 |  
IP
|
|
Spider two-wide banana

| quote: Originally posted by GrumpyBiker: For me it depends on the ARs set up. I prefer lower 1/3 for ARs with a fixed front sight & absolute with BUIS odd as that may sound.
Not odd at all. Quite reasonable. |
| | | Posts: 5433 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006 |  
IP
|
|
Member
| IF running a AR with a permanent front sight post/gas block, i prefer 1/3. If running flip up sights, back and front i like absolute. Edit: i see Grumpy feels the same, had not read his post before posting or would have just said same. |
| | | Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010 |  
IP
|
|
Member

| Irons are fixed height. I'm only varying the RDS mount height. The lower 1/3 mount is more comfortable for me. Absolute feels low for my chubby cheeks. Either way, I don't see the front sight as I'm looking well past it. So 1/3 is more comfortable and that's the primary influence.
"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy "A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book |
| | | Posts: 15129 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007 |  
IP
|
|
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist

| quote: Originally posted by GrumpyBiker: For me it depends on the ARs set up. I prefer lower 1/3 for ARs with a fixed front sight & absolute with BUIS odd as that may sound.
Not odd at all, that is my preferred setup also
No, Daoism isn't a religion
|
| | | Posts: 14539 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003 |  
IP
|
|
Inject yourself!
| I went back and forth but ended up with 1/3 with a standard front sight post and DD A1.5 rear sight. I really liked the absolute, but what got me back to 1/3 was shooting in the dark and especially off hand. For me, it was easier to shoot offhand with the higher mount of 1/3, especially around a barrier/wall.
Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs. Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops ! Expectations are premeditated disappointments. |
| | |
Member
| Not sure I mentioned this before, lower 1/3rd works better with a squared up, heads up, CQB style fighting stance. The iron sight height is a little low for that IMO, but just right for prone shooting.
“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page |
| | |