SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Mason-Howe Rifle Room    Poll: 1/3 co-witness or absolute?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Poll: 1/3 co-witness or absolute? Login/Join 
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Absolute. On my AR the sights are high enough as it is and I have flip down buis or none at all.


!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
 
Posts: 5570 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
It's nice to have the less-cluttered sight picture that comes with using a red dot and folded-down irons but ....


I agree, and admit I didn’t understand what you were getting at.
My “CQB” ARs (training and serious) both have fixed front sights and with a 1/3 view I have never had any problem using them with Aimpoint sights as fast as I could acquire targets. As I mentioned above, I am simply unaware of the iron sights.

And as a somewhat related note, something I have my students practice is using their nonmagnifying optics (Aimpoints, EOTechs, et al.) with the illuminated reticle turned off and no rear BUIS. I just center the target in the “window,” but some shooters like to use the visible front sight (without the rear) as an index even without a rear sight to align it with. With both techniques it’s possible to get reasonably accurate hits on short range targets (to about 15 yards).




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
 
Posts: 49957 | Location: 10,160 Feet Above Sea Level in Commirado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Update:
Bought a Holosun HS503GU and just finished mounting it 1/3.

That's how it came set up, and it does seem like a good way to go now that I've looked through it that way. It did come with a low mount, and a battery as well, in case anyone was wondering.

Hope things shoot straight, still need to find out.

Thanks for the responses.
 
Posts: 7796 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Tried both and have settled on lower 1/3.
 
Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
For me it depends on the ARs set up.
I prefer lower 1/3 for ARs with a fixed front sight & absolute with BUIS odd as that may sound.




U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "



 
Posts: 7032 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Bump.




Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.
 
Posts: 8541 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I like true co-witness. If all goes wrong the red dot becomes a giant ghost ring.

That being said I am no gunfighter nor girlscout and have no desire to run my guns as weapons ever. This is just a low speed, high drag hobbiest's perspective.


Take Care, Shoot Safe,
Chris
 
Posts: 8788 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Just don't do what I did, Trijicon MRO and Micro BUIS, the BUIS are 1/2 on, 1/2 under the optic. I can barely see the top nub of the front sight post through the rear aperture and optic.


---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com
 
Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spider two-wide banana
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
For me it depends on the ARs set up.
I prefer lower 1/3 for ARs with a fixed front sight & absolute with BUIS odd as that may sound.


Not odd at all. Quite reasonable.
 
Posts: 5433 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
IF running a AR with a permanent front sight post/gas block, i prefer 1/3. If running flip up sights, back and front i like absolute.


Edit: i see Grumpy feels the same, had not read his post before posting or would have just said same.


 
Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Irons are fixed height. I'm only varying the RDS mount height. The lower 1/3 mount is more comfortable for me. Absolute feels low for my chubby cheeks.

Either way, I don't see the front sight as I'm looking well past it. So 1/3 is more comfortable and that's the primary influence.




"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
 
Posts: 15129 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
For me it depends on the ARs set up.
I prefer lower 1/3 for ARs with a fixed front sight & absolute with BUIS odd as that may sound.

Not odd at all, that is my preferred setup also




No, Daoism isn't a religion



 
Posts: 14539 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I went back and forth but ended up with 1/3 with a standard front sight post and DD A1.5 rear sight.

I really liked the absolute, but what got me back to 1/3 was shooting in the dark and especially off hand. For me, it was easier to shoot offhand with the higher mount of 1/3, especially around a barrier/wall.




Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.
 
Posts: 8541 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Absolute with folding front/rear sights.
 
Posts: 962 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Not sure I mentioned this before, lower 1/3rd works better with a squared up, heads up, CQB style fighting stance.

The iron sight height is a little low for that IMO, but just right for prone shooting.




“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page
 
Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sigproshooter
posted Hide Post
I personally prefer absolute with folding sights so you can get a good cheekweld on the stock, as opposed to the chinweld you get with a lower 1/3rd mount.
 
Posts: 314 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Mason-Howe Rifle Room    Poll: 1/3 co-witness or absolute?

© SIGforum 2026