SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Super low mini red dot for pre-ban Galil?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Super low mini red dot for pre-ban Galil? Login/Join 
posted
I picked up a minty pre-ban Galil in 2020 and finally got a CNC'd aluminum gas tube with integral picatinny rail. Nice and SNUG. But it raises the height of the surface for a forward mounted optic. I already swapped-out the original front sight hood and post with a much bigger South African R1 hood (and sling). So, I need a rugged, heat-tolerant, and LOW MOUNTED (yet as big of window as possible) red dot so I can, hopefully, co-witness with the front hood.

Ideas/recommendations for options? I have been thinking an RMR on low mount. Basically, I need the center viewing axis of the mounted optic to be about 0.75 (3/4") above the top of the rail. Alternatively, is their a quality low optic that is built into a low mount? I've got significant funds sunk into this awesome gun so I don't need to do it on the cheap--I want the best fitting, quality, LOW mounted red dot for the job.

Thanks!

Posts: 3530 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I would have suggested an Aimpoint Pro and “30MM wide low ring” but that low mount appears to be discontinued.

Posts: 9943 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
How about an Aimpoint micro? They can be had with a non QR low mount right out of the box. That’s going to be the gold standard for toughness and heat resistance. AK guys run them on Ultimaks quite often and that’s basically what your setup is. I know it’s not the largest window, but it’s made to be a “both eyes open” setup, which offsets that somewhat. Plus, it won’t add too much weight out front.
Sweet Galil BTW, is that a 386?

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I went with a Micro T2 with standard mount on my AK with Ultimak.

I'm not sure if it would take the heat like the T2 can, but I would also look at the Aimpoint ACRO P2 as it might be lower, but can also add risers to adjust the height.

Just took a pic, hope it helps a little.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Keep them coming.

Yes, a really sweet AA import 386. In addition to the enlarged hood, I put it an adjustable gas piston so brass now only tossed 8-12' instead of 40' and replaced the long-dead night sights with new ones. Don't worry purists: I kept all the original parts so I can restore to factory.

Posts: 3530 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've used Aimpoint H1s and Primary Arms clones in low mounts on various rifles with forward rails like that. Those have been low enough to allow for cowitness, including on the Mini-14, which is a rifle that is notoriously difficult to cowitness (although that one's more like a "lower 1/6th cowitness").

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Love the 386. Regret selling mine.

I would think any of the Aimpoint Micros would get it done.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
T2 has a slightly larger FOV but the Acro P2 can be mounted with a 1913 adapter; might be the lowest.

My 386 with railed gas tube comes in later this week...I can try an Acro out on it.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I will monitor this thread, its very timely for me.
Last night I looked in the back of my safe and spotted my old converted Saiga 12 AK. I took it out and quickly remembered why I was not happy with it, The red dot sits too high for any kind of a cheek weld to the stock. The AK style side mount sits high and brings a red dot too high.
I have a AimPoint PRO and a Vortex Spark sitting around looking for a new home but both look too tall for the Saiga. I had the same problem with a CZ Scorpion and found a Eotech sat lower and had a nice FOV.

Posts: 4607 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
For a Saiga, try the RS Regulate setup. It puts a red dot as close to the dust cover as is possible. I love mine.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Or if you're willing to consider a forward mounted red dot, also take a look at the Ultimak for your Saiga 12.

http://ultimak.com/m11-l.htm

I had a RS Regulate mount on my AK103k, and while it was a quality mount, I didn't like how bulky it was. I'm much happier with the Ultimak gas tube rail now.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Got a Primary Arms micro red dot on an Ultimak on my AKS-74U clone. Cowitnesses just fine.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
Make sure you keep all the original parts, these things are collector items now and worth a lot when kept original and complete.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
Make sure you keep all the original parts, these things are collector items now and worth a lot when kept original and complete.

Naturally.

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
For the Saiga 12 I went with ordering a new AK Zhukov stock and a 3/4" riser.
I installed a low 30mm scope ring to the Aimpoint PRO. These modifications should bring the optic into a better alignment to my eye.

Posts: 4607 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post