SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Colt or FN AR??
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt or FN AR?? Login/Join 
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Yeah, is he the forum AR expert? Edited to add, lots of info out there about rifles going 35k plus and never missing a beat.

I'd estimate the RRA I turned in at retirement had at least 15k rounds on it. Other than problems with two different Eotechs, the rifle itself never had any issues.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
Yeah, is he the forum AR expert?
I'd wager he knows more about rifles and things like barrel wear than you and me put together.

You want to watch your tone with me, and I don't want to hear any challenges to go ahead and ban you, which is something you've done before.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, is he the forum AR expert? Edited to add, lots of info out there about rifles going 35k plus and never missing a beat.

I'd estimate the RRA I turned in at retirement had at least 15k rounds on it. Other than problems with two different Eotechs, the rifle itself never had any issues.

personally, I would go with Fritz as well,

and all the speculation could be eliminated if someone had a throat gauge to drop down in it,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

personally, I would go with Fritz as well,

and all the speculation could be eliminated if someone had a throat gauge to drop down in it,

Personally, no one asked you.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just take it easy, OK? Members don't need permission to join in a discussion.

Listen, you're welcome here. You are. But, lately, you seem to be on the irritable side. I'm asking you to take it easy and play nice. You know- or you should know- that if anyone gave you a hard time in this forum, I'd be right there to stomp their ass. So, when you feel like lashing out, just keep in mind that if the time ever comes, I can be the best friend you have in this forum. That goes for you and everyone else here.

posted Hide Post
I was a die hard Colt person.

My first Colt was issued to me by Uncle Sam in 1992. Back in the day, Cav Scouts and a few other select MOS kept the M16A1 with the full auto capability while the rest of the Army was going to the M16A2 with the burst.

Fast forward to the 2001 area when I got into LE and was issued Colts, RRA, etc.. They were great but I always went with Colt.

Now.. That all changed when I re-enlisted after a 17 year break in service. When I reported to basic at Fort Knox I was issued a FN M16A4 with a detachable carry handle, adjustable stock and Knight rails. It had a the full 20inch barrel.

From that day forward, I have been an FN person even though my unit issued me a brand new Colt M4 in 2010 and then in 2014 I was handed a brand new Colt M4 as I boarded the plane to AFG.

I would say the only problem most people have with FN is that it can be hard to reach customer service at times.

If you have the money I would go with FN.
Someday when I grow up I will own my own FN.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrapteam666,

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Guns for guns I would go with the FN. I sought out a Colt lower and build purely for "this is the gun your old man went to war with" Kloner nerdiness. I've shot an issued FN in competition and they're a worthy successor.

In your shoes, I would do as a few other posts have suggested and spec out an upper that meets your needs. Lose the heavy barrel and go with a continuous contour or even one of the gucci Faxon lightweights that are properly heat-treated, stick with midlength, put an MLOK handguard on it and be done.

For the price of a Colt or FN you could buy a solid upper and maybe have enough left over to drop a new trigger group in that lower.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
So I have carried a Rock River AR for 16 years and it has been great.
It’s a mid length, heavy barrel, TRO hanguard (think the now call it the NM), Samson HK flip up sights, and a Trijicon MRO.

She has probably close to 15k rounds. Never missed a beat and I have done nothing but clean it. Not replaced anything.
It’s a great rifle she’s just a bit on the heavy side and probably due for a refresh.

I have a little bit of money coming my way and as she was deployed today I was thinking about picking out a duty replacement. I’m not opposed to another Rock River but thought I might give something else a go.
I have always wanted a Colt but folks seem to be raving about FN’s current production.

$850 for the FN and $1100 for the Colt.

does your department have a qualified armorer? with the proper gauges to measure wear on an AR-15/M16?

if so, have him drop the throat gauge in the barrel and muzzle wear gauge and see how it measures,

the USGI gauges are simple rods, marked with a Reject line, not graduated like the M14/M1/M1903/M1917 etc gauges,

but it will tell you where you stand on barrel life,

as far as 35K thru a gun and no issues, I would be interested to see the throat readings on that one,

my Short Match gun crapped out at ~10K or so,
groups went from fingernail to golf ball to beer can diameter quickly, and while the muzzle was good, the throat swallowed the reject gauge, and wear was visible when you looked thru the bore,

SS Button rifled barrel, shooting mostly moly coated 69SMK handloads

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I agree with Para's post. I sold my 6920LE Probably 10 years ago. It is hard to know what you are getting these days. Even on the used market.

Where can you get a basic FN AR for $850 these days.

Right, FN AR prices (online) seems to be at least 1K+, must be LE discount.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rpm2010,

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Colt, has anyone tried their piston design?

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
Speaking of Colt, has anyone tried their piston design?

I have one. What would you like to know? I have only put about 150 rounds through it though.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I don’t remember the exact price but I ordered ten 14.5” FN rifles with 13” handguards and it was around a little over $900 per rifle agency price.

That was last fall. Earlier this year they told me they discontinued the rifle so our vendor switched us to eight DD rifles and ate the difference.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Daniel Defense makes a very fine product.

posted Hide Post
If I could only have one AR, it would either be a Noveske or a LMT.

Posts: 270 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bnz42:
If I could only have one AR, it would either be a Noveske or a LMT.

For me this also goes by time. My "only AR" is a Colt. I am also a huge fan of LMT, never owned a Noveske.

But Colt gets the duty.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Daniel Defense makes a very fine product.

That they do but I am not trying to spend that kind of money when there are rifles that run just as well for far less.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, DD makes a very fine rifle. This thing is amazingly light and a soft shooter. But I wouldn't want to spend my own money on it. Amazingly enough, it only cost us $1200 per rifle. Some discounts were definitely given.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I especially love DD barrels. Cold hammer forged, made in Georgia. Damn nice.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Rebarrel what you have, spend the savings on ammo.

Not a terrible idea! I can grab a lightweight Rock River upper for under $400.

Part of this depends on your current RR upper. If the original barrel truly has 15k rounds on it, the barrel is toast. The throat will be badly eroded, there will be a large jump to the lands, the gas port hole will be eroded and likely oversized, the crown probably sucks. If it truly has 15k rounds on it, you should be seeing keyhole strikes on paper, especially at distance. Your gas tube and gas block are nearing end of life. With 15k rounds, your bolt probably past expected end of life. Lug wear should be evident and springs should be toast.

If the upper is 16 years old and has not been updated, it likely has the older style quad rail. This contributes to the weight. A newer MLok rail will be slimmer and lighter.

If the lower is still in good condition, a new upper is cheaper than a new rifle. If your RR lower truly has 15k rounds on it, then the trigger is probably nearing end of life.

Funny, I'm a colt and fn certified armorer, as well as having attended several prestigious ar15 focused classes over a few decades of working on/building/shooting ar rifles, and not one of them taught me how to diagnose the condition of a rifle over the internet, without pictures no less. That's quite the skill being displayed here. On a serious note, check headspace, and all parts, replace what you see fit. Service life on a modern, well maintained ar pattern rifle should be between 20-30k rounds, if after mil accepted accuracy. A precision barrel is less, however, most people I've met aren't good enough shots to tell, honestly (not saying bad shots, but not world class) if after a replacement upper, the larue $699 upper deal really cannot be beat, but expect to wait a good while for it. Please place no stock in anyone who claims they can tell you your rifle is worn out without seeing it in person. As for the gentleman suggesting the Chris Bartocci video- he is fairly knowledgeable on older stuff, however, he is not really "in the know" of current colt (and he is a disenchanted former employee. He's not unbiased). But again, he's worth a watch, and does know his stuff! If interested in a colt, do check it in person. They vary wildly in overall fit and finish. The new ones still shoot as well as always, and display the same poor fit and finish as always

Posts: 1 | Registered: October 04, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I especially love DD barrels. Cold hammer forged, made in Georgia. Damn nice.

At one time, every last part was made in GA. Not sure if its still true today that 100% of their parts are made in house, but at one time they were. The only real way to assure 100% QC.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post