SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Colt or FN AR??
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt or FN AR?? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
But do the commercially available FN rifles qualify as TDP or TDP equivalent?

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add another one to the FN camp.

Posts: 59 | Location: NW Burbs of Illinois | Registered: June 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
I don't think so. Nevertheless, of the two choices of the OP, FN is the one I would choose. I never thought the day would come when I would turn my back on Colt's AR15s, but...

Posts: 107481 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:

Cany go wrong with those barrels. I think im up to 5 on my home builds. My 18in DD S2W barrel shoots ragged holes regularly: 5 @100:

That is impressive, WARPIG602!

Tell us about the ammo used and how you rested the rifle to shoot those marvelous groups. please?

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Chris Bartocci says he thinks that overall, when it comes to ARs, barrels with machined rifling are more accurate than barrels which are cold hammer forged, but my personal experience with ARs has been the opposite. The three ARs I own (built rifles) which have Daniel Defense barrels are impressively accurate. The two rifles I own with Colt 6920 heavy barrels (twisted 1:9; one factory upper, one built upper) come close, but the DD barrels are king.

Posts: 107481 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have never done any real, test plan type of accuracy testing with AR's but I will say this. I built a few uppers with DD barrels and they consistently outshot my factory Colts. Better overall groups, tighter groups after longer strings of fire. Colt makes an outstanding barrel. I've shot Colt M16/M4's with literally tens of thousands of rounds through them and they all qualified. But you could tell they were getting old. The DD barrels just seemed to keep consistency over, and over, and over again. Again, I can't quantify this with numbers or charts but every rifle with a DD barrel I have built or shot is consistently good.

If I ever got back into "building" AR's I'd use a DD barrel.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yeah, Chris Bartocci says he thinks that overall, when it comes to ARs, barrels with machined rifling are more accurate than barrels which are cold hammer forged, but my personal experience with ARs has been the opposite. The three ARs I own (built rifles) which have Daniel Defense barrels are impressively accurate. The two rifles I own with Colt 6920 heavy barrels (twisted 1:9; one factory upper, one built upper) come close, but the DD barrels are king.

I've only been around a few Colt barrels and a few DD barrels. Comparing these two brands, I give the accuracy nod to DD. However, both barrel brands were for carbine-length barrels, not the competition type for longer distances. I've heard that the truck-axle profile Colt target barrels are pretty accurate -- but again, no direct experience there.

In my experience with ARs used in precision steel matches, the most accurate barrels have been rifled barrels, not CHF barrels. Most of my barrels are/were from Wilson Combat -- they are button rifled. The Wilsons have shot extremely well out to as much as 800 yards in competition, formal training courses, and personal practice. Even better are my cut rifle barrels from Bartlein and Krieger. There are other brands of rifled barrels which also shoot with great accuracy.

I can talk accuracy figures for my various barrels, but some might dismiss then as one-offs or BS. I have posted more than a few pictures of AR15 targets in the "long distance rifle discussion" thread.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
My Ballistic Advantage 18" fluted SPR barrel will ring a 10" steel plate at 400yds all day if I do my part. I ran out of optic on that rifle before I ran out of barrel (4-14x). I also have a 12.5" DD and it doesn't disappoint.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
I don't think so. Nevertheless, of the two choices of the OP, FN is the one I would choose. I never thought the day would come when I would turn my back on Colt's AR15s, but...

Thanks Para. I have 3 older LE6920s and was thinking of getting an FN but since it's subpar to TDP, I'll skip.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:

Cany go wrong with those barrels. I think im up to 5 on my home builds. My 18in DD S2W barrel shoots ragged holes regularly: 5 @100:

That is impressive, WARPIG602!

Tell us about the ammo used and how you rested the rifle to shoot those marvelous groups. please?

Id have to look my my relaod books for the exact laod data, Lapua brass, CCI BR2 primers, 8208XBR powder, 77gr SMK's

Rifle was shot off an Atlas bipod and STR8 laced bags.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post