SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Let’s talk about 55x rifles
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let’s talk about 55x rifles Login/Join 
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
OR sell a kidney, which I'll be looking into for the 553 I get to buy!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Jerk! I only put in for the PE90 like a chump. I kinda wish he does another run in white.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
If you don't play you can't win (and I know all I'm "winning" is the ability to buy something super expensive but it sure feels like winning!")! I had to let go of the 552 LB I had ordered due to COVID stresses at work, but now things have changed and this is exactly what I wanted. Except for a stock, which I now I need. The hunt begins.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:

Congrats to you for getting that opportunity. You can always borrow against your 401...

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCFD4:
quote:

Congrats to you for getting that opportunity. You can always borrow against your 401...

Nah, the kids don't need college as much as I thought.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DCFD4:
quote:

Nah, the kids don't need college as much as I thought.

Oh yea, borrow against the 529, not the 401. The kids can figure it out for themselves

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting thought on the anniversary rifles. Who’s buying them and for what purpose? Do you form one that guy and shoot it?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
form 1 a 16"?

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
form 1 a 16"?

To put a stock on it. You’re gonna leave it as a pistol?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
There's only one anniversary rifle, a 16" 551-2 in red.

You don't need to form 1 a 16" pistol to put a stock on it as you're not making a short-barreled rifle (see ATF letters on Thompson Center guns). You do need to worry about 922(r) rules however

Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
quote:

You don't need to form 1 a 16" pistol to put a stock on it as you're not making a short-barreled rifle (see ATF letters on Thompson Center guns). You do need to worry about 922(r) rules however

What he said.....

Posts: 418 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Malysh:
quote:

What he said.....

I guess I just never thought about it. Fair enough.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

posted Hide Post
For the owners.

What current red dot are you running on rails, that charging handle makes it interesting.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint Micro on low mount

posted Hide Post
I also use an Aimpoint micro in a low mount. Another one of mine has a CompML3 in a lowish mount. The charging handle doesn't make it "interesting". It's a non-issue as long as your mount levers or knobs are on the other side, and you're using the striaght-out cocking handle, as opposed to the upward-swept one. People make mountains out of mole hills, when it comes to optics and cocking handles, or even AR charging handles, IMO. I have had more harm than help from oversized handles on ARs, and i would never even consider the oversized handles you see on some 55X guns. On the 553R, you need to use that handle every time you reload, like any AK ever, and i have never had a problem with my optic interfering. On the other 55X guns you only play with the handle when initially loading the rifle and when fixing a malfunction; one happens before contact, and the other shouldn't happen much. Practice fixing malfunctions, and you're good. It's just something you need to get used to, for almost every infantry rifle in the world that isn't an AR.

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:
For the owners.

What current red dot are you running on rails, that charging handle makes it interesting.

I have Aimpoints pros on all of my Swiss rifles. Have a single rifle with the Trijicon Acog. Charging handle isnt an issue with any of those optics for me.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I reckon you're a lefty, gw3971?

I am so jealous of the newer 553LB guns. I have the older barrel, and it friggen burns me that i can't mount my NATO silencers. Fixing to have it modified soon.

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate Everyone’s comments.

Probably will go with a aimpoint PRO.

New topic regarding Diopter sight.

I wanted to just use it today. At 100 yards, I cranked that damn elevation screw all the way to the right, still hitting low, thoughts?

I did get to shoot 100 rounds, suppresses with a a sandman L and without. GREAT time.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
I reckon you're a lefty, gw3971?

I am so jealous of the newer 553LB guns. I have the older barrel, and it friggen burns me that i can't mount my NATO silencers. Fixing to have it modified soon.
yep, lefty for rifles and righty for handguns.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint PRO will be too tall (fine for railed guns though....far above the diopter)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PGT,