SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Let’s talk about 55x rifles
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Let’s talk about 55x rifles Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:
So I just wonder if that barrel
Can be cut or changed.


That barrel could be cut-down and threaded. As JoshNC said, it is possible to work on these guns, if you have the right tools.
 
Posts: 219 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
With the right tools, the 55x is not really that difficult to work on. Barrel swaps are a bit unnerving, but not rocket science.


You are right. In your experience, do Swiss-made barrels swap around to different Swiss receivers, and end up with proper headspace and gas port timing? I have never installed a Swiss barrel into a Swiss receiver that it didn't originally come from. I do know that the US-made guns don't play well with swapping.
 
Posts: 219 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Per the armorer’s manual, barrels can be installed three times before threads stretch. YMMV.
 
Posts: 2418 | Location: Leesburg VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
this is really the only thing called the "Commando" with respect to Swiss guns. The Stgw.07, or long barrel 553.

 
Posts: 2418 | Location: Leesburg VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Per the armorer’s manual, barrels can be installed three times before threads stretch. YMMV.


I need to get one of those manuals. Would prefer paper form.

That's consistent with what I just saw. I have a Swiss barrel in my parts drawer, so I threaded it into three de-milled Swiss trunnions. Hand tightening put the gas port at about 11 o'clock in all three. I wonder why Sig USA didn't bother replicating this aspect of the manufacturing; not to mention retaining the same thread pattern.

So, OP, if you get the 551 you have a deposit on, you will very likely be able to get a used 551SB barrel swapped into it, to achieve the length you want. If you want to be able to use a silencer on it though, I'd recommend just cutting and threading the one that comes in it. I don't know if those longer 551 barrels have any resale value, considering it's not a true 551LB barrel. Some folks might like them for some reason or other.
 
Posts: 219 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
That is a friggen cool picture.

I think a lot of folks use the Commando phrase when referring to the 552s.
 
Posts: 219 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:

I need to get one of those manuals. Would prefer paper form.


It's a reprint but the knowledge imbued is the same Razz

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/907704508
 
Posts: 2418 | Location: Leesburg VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
I don't know if those longer 551 barrels have any resale value, considering it's not a true 551LB barrel. Some folks might like them for some reason or other.


it's a 1:7 twist and are apparently new/old stock from the 551-2's made decades ago that SIG found in storge. There is resale value for sure but if you chop/thread, it will end up shorter than 16" so you'll have to pin/weld a FH or suppressor mount so be sure what one wants to do with it. It's a pistol so you could leave it below 16" but not if you plan to mount a stock.

Here's mine





it has a green gas block and gray hooded sight (ca. 1989 or so)

 
Posts: 2418 | Location: Leesburg VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
These also came in OD green paint vs. the RAL 7009 green/gray that we all love

This was one Mishaco sold on GB last year...note the green gas block and also early style magwell











 
Posts: 2418 | Location: Leesburg VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link to the manual. I'll scoop it up.

I respect those older guns for their quality but I don't care for them aesthetically, and I'll likely never have one. The lowers bug me, as do the stocks and handguards. In a way I am thankful I feel the way I do, because they are typically quite spendy!

PGT, you may be able to shed some light on something I thought curious recently. I think you probably saw that 550/PE90 (I am not sure what dictates which nomenclature is used) on GB recently. It was one Larry Vickers supposedly brought into the US himself in the late 80's, if I remember correctly. I thought it lacked the earmarks of a gun of that vintage. It didn't have the whale tail stock or the different lower. I don't think they included a picture of the bottom of the handguard, which would have shown whether or not it had vent holes typical of the earlier guns. Another thing I saw was a lack of longer welds on the rear sight base. I have been under the impression that earlier guns, like the ones you just posted pictures of, have welds that extend rearward beneath the rear sling loop on the sight, whereas newer-production units do not. I don't know why they would misrepresent the item, and I know Mr. Vickers wouldn't make a descriptive error like that. Thought it was weird. Can you shed some light?
 
Posts: 219 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
The lowers bug me, as do the stocks and handguards. In a way I am thankful I feel the way I do, because they are typically quite spendy!


the three hole handguards? Same as on modern guns. The early steel lowers are different. mine is identical to modern ones. Alloy lowers are available if you don't like the steel but lots of folks prefer the original steel ones. As for the stocks, the early one-piece "whale tail" or "round toe" is def a matter of preference. A buddy hates them but I dig them. I do have both styles though so I can swap out as needed.

quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:

PGT, you may be able to shed some light on something I thought curious recently. I think you probably saw that 550/PE90 (I am not sure what dictates which nomenclature is used) on GB recently. It was one Larry Vickers supposedly brought into the US himself in the late 80's, if I remember correctly. I thought it lacked the earmarks of a gun of that vintage. It didn't have the whale tail stock or the different lower. I don't think they included a picture of the bottom of the handguard, which would have shown whether or not it had vent holes typical of the earlier guns. Another thing I saw was a lack of longer welds on the rear sight base. I have been under the impression that earlier guns, like the ones you just posted pictures of, have welds that extend rearward beneath the rear sling loop on the sight, whereas newer-production units do not. I don't know why they would misrepresent the item, and I know Mr. Vickers wouldn't make a descriptive error like that. Thought it was weird. Can you shed some light?


I'm not sure if they said it was LAV's gun but it does have a date code on it that was post '89 so if he brought it in, it was for LE use or via his SOT. It's also possible that it was bought at a PX in Europe and brought back as personal goods back when that was allowed and before ATF shut that down. I have a few "GI bring-backs" like that with no import markings.

The "CH 16" on that gun make it clear it was marked for country and the 16 is the year so no way that's 1980's vintage as stated. Might be what was conveyed for auction but I don't believe it's accurate.

The proof marking you see on that gun vs. mine is different. From my reading, the one on mine is early and that was followed it with the switch around the year 2000. So, no way that came to the states before 2000.

More likely, it's a Trident Rifles LLC import of a PE90 as a "PE90P" which a BUNCH of sellers are doing. Buying up PE90's at auction in Europe at $1200-1800 and importing them as pistols and then adding the stock back here. You'll note that many of the pics on GB show the stock off the gun (per approved Form 10's for import). cogunsales even goes so far as to sell the uppers and lowers separately (probably to maximize returns knowing the winner of the upper wants the matching lower and will pay more for it to keep it together).
 
Posts: 2418 | Location: Leesburg VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
the three hole handguards? Same as on modern guns. The early steel lowers are different. mine is identical to modern ones. Alloy lowers are available if you don't like the steel but lots of folks prefer the original steel ones. As for the stocks, the early one-piece "whale tail" or "round toe" is def a matter of preference. A buddy hates them but I dig them. I do have both styles though so I can swap out as needed.

cogunsales even goes so far as to sell the uppers and lowers separately (probably to maximize returns knowing the winner of the upper wants the matching lower and will pay more for it to keep it together).


The handguards are definitely not the same. The older ones have a different contour, and lack the bolster at the rear.

I prefer the steel lowers to the alloy; I just don't care for the early steel lowers.

I think it's lame of COgunsales to list those guns the way they do. The receivers ought to be kept together. If they are hesitant to include a stock, that's their business; the owner can get one later if they want. There's no way to prove a stock is original to a gun, so it really doesn't matter. I know the furniture is date-marked when it's made, but anything that pre-dates the receivers would technically be passable as valid.
 
Posts: 219 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
KSGM here's a thread from about a year ago which may shed light on some of your questions.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/1460038274/p/1
 
Posts: 338 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
date code on magazine with LAV's PE90 shows 1996. That's not dating the rifle of course because mags can easily be swapped but it has the proper SIG vs. contract maker on it so it could likely be original.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PGT,
 
Posts: 2418 | Location: Leesburg VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
This thread really delivers.

In my case. I would probably end up cutting and threading the barrel. I was going to form 1 it anyway and once I have it, it’s a grail type situation.


NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member
 
Posts: 2343 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
this is really the only thing called the "Commando" with respect to Swiss guns. The Stgw.07, or long barrel 553.


The 552s were marked “SG 552-2 SP Commando”.


quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:

You are right. In your experience, do Swiss-made barrels swap around to different Swiss receivers, and end up with proper headspace and gas port timing? I have never installed a Swiss barrel into a Swiss receiver that it didn't originally come from. I do know that the US-made guns don't play well with swapping.


Swiss threads are timed. The barrels swap easily.


quote:
Originally posted by PGT:

it's a 1:7 twist and are apparently new/old stock from the 551-2's made decades ago that SIG found in storge. There is resale value for sure but if you chop/thread, it will end up shorter than 16" so you'll have to pin/weld a FH or suppressor mount so be sure what one wants to do with it. It's a pistol so you could leave it below 16" but not if you plan to mount a stock.

Here's mine




So beautiful.


quote:
Originally posted by PGT:

I'm not sure if they said it was LAV's gun but it does have a date code on it that was post '89 so if he brought it in, it was for LE use or via his SOT. It's also possible that it was bought at a PX in Europe and brought back as personal goods back when that was allowed and before ATF shut that down. I have a few "GI bring-backs" like that with no import markings.

The "CH 16" on that gun make it clear it was marked for country and the 16 is the year so no way that's 1980's vintage as stated. Might be what was conveyed for auction but I don't believe it's accurate.

The proof marking you see on that gun vs. mine is different. From my reading, the one on mine is early and that was followed it with the switch around the year 2000. So, no way that came to the states before 2000.

More likely, it's a Trident Rifles LLC import of a PE90 as a "PE90P" which a BUNCH of sellers are doing. Buying up PE90's at auction in Europe at $1200-1800 and importing them as pistols and then adding the stock back here. You'll note that many of the pics on GB show the stock off the gun (per approved Form 10's for import). cogunsales even goes so far as to sell the uppers and lowers separately (probably to maximize returns knowing the winner of the upper wants the matching lower and will pay more for it to keep it together).


“CH 16” is not a date code. I was told it denotes commercial production.


---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald
 
Posts: 2160 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post


Love that green/grey color. Wish you could still get it.
 
Posts: 7151 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have a spare green lower, gas block and front sight. I'm going to have an upper painted to match.
 
Posts: 2418 | Location: Leesburg VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:
Will see what happens.

If I win the lotto on the pe90. It’s a keeper.

If i already put a deposit down on these 551s so maybe I will learn to love it ?



Why not look for a PE90 on Gunbroker instead of entering a lottery? A JDI PE90 just closed for $4k on Gunbroker.


Unless I'm mistaken, I was watching that auction, so were a lot of other folks. I decided not to bid. The seller was NR. He had 4 transactions as a buyer. He didn't take CC.
I can't say the gent was a crook but I wasn't willing to bid on a rifle with a NR seller rating that had a low reserve and sold for about 2K less than most.

Maybe I missed out on a good deal.
 
Posts: 221 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Normal skepticism. In the past, I've scored deals like that because I reached out to the seller and talked to them on the phone and also got proof of life pics (both of the gun and verifable info about the seller) and also sent via methods with some recourse, i.e. USPS Money Orders and through the mail. If you've never dealt with a Postal Inspector before on a fraud case, they're generally super aggressive in pursuing a perp.
 
Posts: 2418 | Location: Leesburg VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Let’s talk about 55x rifles

© SIGforum 2021