SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Let’s talk about 55x rifles
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let’s talk about 55x rifles Login/Join 
posted
Alright. My AUG itch will have to wait. However, it was for a good reason.

I have always wanted a 55X rifle. I found a 553, put green furniture on it and stamped it.

Love that little rifle. Highly recommend it.

However, I saw JDI importing those 551s and I would be dammed if I would not pick
One up.

I really like the look of the commando but these rifles sound equally impressive.

So can I hear from other owners?

I will go into the lottery for the pe90, but that’s a long shot.

Thanks!

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always kicked myself for not buying a 550/PE90 back in the mid 80’s. But I did manage to buy an IMI Galil ARM with extra mags and all the accessories NIB instead that day. So I guess I didn’t do to bad and I’m even Steven.

Posts: 266 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't lust after a PE90/550. I know they're damn fine rifles, but I also know I'd never shoot the thing. Would I like to have gotten one in the past so I could sell it now? Heck yeah. But I wasn't in the game when the getting was good. If I ever strike it rich, will I have one to round out the collection? Sure.

I prefer the shorter variants, when it comes to the shooting experience. The 553 is easily my favorite. Probably followed by the 553R, then the 553LB. The 551 is a very smooth shooter, but is severely hindered by the non-negotiable one piece barrel. A silencer is a must for me, and it's hard for me to find a use for something that can't wear one. Sure you could have the barrel threaded, but that's a pretty big commitment for a lot of folks. Especially on a gun like that.

I'd take a 551 over an AUG all day. But there's the aforementioned other 55X variants I'd have before the 551.

Posts: 2084 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I have a SIG USA 551A1 and its been great so I doubt I will go for a 551 in this shipment.

I have a 553 SB, 553 LB, 553 in 300 blackout in the gun safe. I have one of the unfinished 550's waiting to be shipped hopefully soon. I never thought I would be able to pick one of these up better yet own 4 of them. God bless Dave Wagner.

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
I have a SIG USA 551A1 and its been great so I doubt I will go for a 551 in this shipment.

I have a 553 SB, 553 LB, 553 in 300 blackout in the gun safe. I have one of the unfinished 550's waiting to be shipped hopefully soon. I never thought I would be able to pick one of these up better yet own 4 of them. God bless Dave Wagner.

I agree on Dave Wagner....

So, for a moment. Lets say I wanted to commit, and took this rifle, had it cut to commando length and threaded, who could do such a thing.....

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:
So, for a moment. Lets say I wanted to commit, and took this rifle, had it cut to commando length and threaded, who could do such a thing.....

Are we talking about a 551LB? There's no shortening a 551. You can cut it to thread it, but there's no going shorter.

Posts: 2084 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turning it into a commando?

Or can you buy uppers for them?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Dave opened the lottery today for the right 553 sb he has coming in. I think he has 8 of them ordered and due sometime next month.

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If OP wants a 9" "commando" gun, then he should buy a 552 or 553, like gw3971 mentioned in his last post. These guns don't lend themselves to tinkering, like ARs. There's not much barrel-shortening you can do, and certainly hardly any barrel swapping. If the serialized upper receiver isn't in the configuration you want, you'd do best to wait for one that is.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
If OP wants a 9" "commando" gun, then he should buy a 552 or 553, like gw3971 mentioned in his last post. These guns don't lend themselves to tinkering, like ARs. There's not much barrel-shortening you can do, and certainly hardly any barrel swapping. If the serialized upper receiver isn't in the configuration you want, you'd do best to wait for one that is.

So OP is shit at the internets.

I did enter the LOTTO for the PE90 which is the grail of course.

I also purchased a P553 and SBR'd it. Which is fantastic.

What I am actually looking for is 551-2 SWAT, and to me it looks like you should be able to just purchase an upper, and slap it onto my 553 lower, something tells me, it is not gonna be that simple.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

posted Hide Post
It is that simple. Finding a 551 upper will be the hard part.

posted Hide Post
The hunt is on

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

posted Hide Post
I have a pristine 551-2 SWAT that I bought from Mike Otte and got it stamped. Wish I had bought one of the M+M 553's several years ago as the prices now are twice as much.

Posts: 435 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are all great shooters. The 550/PE90 is the most enjoyable for iron sight shooting in my opinion. 400 yard hits on steel with iron sights is very satisfying. The 551 long barrel and 551 short barrel are great too. As is the 552/553.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:

With the right tools, the 55x is not really that difficult to work on. Barrel swaps are a bit unnerving, but not rocket science.

quote:

I did enter the LOTTO for the PE90 which is the grail of course.

I also purchased a P553 and SBR'd it. Which is fantastic.

What I am actually looking for is 551-2 SWAT, and to me it looks like you should be able to just purchase an upper, and slap it onto my 553 lower, something tells me, it is not gonna be that simple.

Yes the upper will drop on your lower. But why not just buy the whole firearm? I don’t see that JDI is importing the “conversion kit” uppers any more.

If you want a 551-2 SWAT, I would recommend you find one on Gunbroker and try to be the winning bidder. A bird in the hand and all.

"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will see what happens.

If I win the lotto on the pe90. It’s a keeper.

If i already put a deposit down on these 551s so maybe I will learn to love it ?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
For Swiss guns, there are three length gas systems; 552/553, 551 and then 550/PE90.

By "Commando", I assume you're referring to the US 556 version by that name? That was just different furniture. (there was an uber rare 551-Commando kit that was a prototype...think mg34_dan has one still)

There was the 556 Patrol that was a P556 length gas system but in a 16" barrel. The P556 is a weird one...unique to it and the Patrol models and were problematic.

As for Swiss guns...I've got over a dozen now. I love them all...but the 551 will always feel 'just right' to me. I have a spare 551-SB and LB for it I need to get swapped over since the complete LB's seem to be no more. The 16" is also considered LB but I'm talking about the 17.7" models vs. the 551-2 Sport that Dave is bringing in 350 of.

I have a 16" 551-2 Sport already as well as a 551-A1 and a West Coast Armory 551 to that works for shooting suppressed in a 16" gun.

I just brought this original 2013 SigSauer imported 553-Diopter home yesterday, Bought one years ago and sold it.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m taking about this:

And it seems I have a deposit on this:

So I just wonder if that barrel
Can be cut or changed.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
That's a 551-SB

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will see what happens.

If I win the lotto on the pe90. It’s a keeper.

If i already put a deposit down on these 551s so maybe I will learn to love it ?

Why not look for a PE90 on Gunbroker instead of entering a lottery? A JDI PE90 just closed for $4k on Gunbroker.