SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Let’s talk about 55x rifles
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let’s talk about 55x rifles Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Malysh:

Unless I'm mistaken, I was watching that auction, so were a lot of other folks. I decided not to bid. The seller was NR. He had 4 transactions as a buyer. He didn't take CC.
I can't say the gent was a crook but I wasn't willing to bid on a rifle with a NR seller rating that had a low reserve and sold for about 2K less than most.

Maybe I missed out on a good deal.

There have been a few of late that closed in the $4k neighborhood.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2313 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Normal skepticism. In the past, I've scored deals like that because I reached out to the seller and talked to them on the phone and also got proof of life pics (both of the gun and verifable info about the seller) and also sent via methods with some recourse, i.e. USPS Money Orders and through the mail. If you've never dealt with a Postal Inspector before on a fraud case, they're generally super aggressive in pursuing a perp.

That’s good to know. I thought it was an old wives’ tale about the safety of USPO money orders.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2313 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Alright, who won the PE90 lotto?

Posts: 9941 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
quote:

Unless I'm mistaken, I was watching that auction, so were a lot of other folks. I decided not to bid. The seller was NR. He had 4 transactions as a buyer. He didn't take CC.
I can't say the gent was a crook but I wasn't willing to bid on a rifle with a NR seller rating that had a low reserve and sold for about 2K less than most.

Maybe I missed out on a good deal.

There have been a few of late that closed in the $4k neighborhood.

Well then maybe I should watch longer before I commit to buying ones I see with 6-7 K prices.
Thanks for your comments.

Posts: 415 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
Please excuse the huge pictures. If anyone knows how to resize them, please do so!

They look OK on my phone when I'm on the forum, but on my PC they look huge and out of focus.

Posts: 415 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
The JDI site shows all parts back ordered.
Anybody know if and when they are getting more parts?

I called today and left a message asking for a call back. Nobody called back Frown

I wanted to ask about pre ordering a rifle and when and if they are getting parts in.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
The JDI site shows all parts back ordered.
Anybody know if and when they are getting more parts?

I called today and left a message asking for a call back. Nobody called back Frown

I wanted to ask about pre ordering a rifle and when and if they are getting parts in.

Follow Dave on facebook at JDI firearms. He puts out videos and occasionally answers questions about deliveries and guns he is bringing in to the country. Everything from JDI is backordered parts wise. Some have been waiting for parts for 8 months or more. I have a green 550 stock ordered and some parts that are back ordered. Covid has slowed everything coming in and there have been . Almost all of the Swiss 550 parts are made by subcontractors and they are slow to do anything.

Dave has said he is expecting parts that will clear most backorders at the end of this month. That includes magazines which some have been waiting for over a year. Best you can do is order the parts and get in line. It ain't going to be quick so keep an eye on gunbroker.

Dave has 150 or so 551's coming in in September if you want a complete pistol. They are $4k. You can reserve one buy ordering it from sanswissarms.com. He hold the reservation with a 50% deposit.

Dave is a one man show. He does the shipping, ordering and everything by himself. All while running several other enterprises so he gets behind. Today he was calling all of the lottery winners for the 553 sb, PE90 and anniversary 553's. So he made 70 phone calls for this one group of guns to get FFL info and deposits. I'm betting he will be doing it tomorrow as well.

Dave is still working with parts issues for unfinished 550s that were shipped with out parts, 551's that needed rivets, etc... So give him some time.

For parts you can also order them from them from Gunfactory.ch The website is in german but with google translate its easy enough to figure out. You can call and speak with the business owner Rolfe as well he speaks English. It takes about three weeks for shipping. That is where I went for parts on my last order.

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I just talked to Dave @ JDI on the phone on Tuesday. He's heading back over to Switzerland and will have a better idea of what's on the next shipment. It seems the other challenge with Swiss stuff is SIG isn't really a full operation anymore so they do stuff in small batches and Dave doesn't know what he'll get from order to order.

Posts: 3061 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's what I have. It was built from a very early SIG (USA) 556 rifle. I am pretty sure the early ones had SIG/SAN upper receivers with 1/7 R.O.T. ("2") barrels from Switzerland. Note the Swiss stampings on the right side of the gas block.

It took a few years to get the correct, legal semi auto factory lower from Neuhausen. I managed to get the correct stocks, a load of 30 and 20 rd. mags, a Wenger bayonet, loading tools, factory manual, and 1 box of GP90 ammo (which I still have) I had a skilled gunsmith weld the Swiss diopter sight and a Swiss optic rail on the upper receiver. I even had the gunsmith parkerize the original gas tube to the correct medium gray shade (the 556 US rifles had an almost shiny gray gas tube. The 556 barrel had to be turned down at the muzzle end to copy the 551-2 barrel and accommodate a custom made flash hider of the the correct pattern. I had looked into getting a Swiss barrel for it with the grenade launching ring but at that time there were no Swiss barrels imported that I could find. The gunsmith was able to refinish the rifle in SIG gray. Please excuse the lousy indoor pictures. It's been too sunny and hot around here to take proper pictures outdoors, which I prefer to do.

It is a 551-2 SP SWAT copy. It is very accurate and a joy to shoot. I'm actually kinda proud of it.

When I started this project, there were no imported complete rifles I could afford to buy. This route at the time was my only option. I don't think even West Coast Armory had their copies for sale then.

Now, I have more money and I'm thinking of getting one of the JDI 550 "pistols".
Or maybe if the bidding doesn't get over the mid 4K mark, I'll bid on the 550 upper that's at auction now.

fixed the pics for you..... insert a size tag right before the .jpg (in this case an h for huge, you can also use an l for large or m for medium)

posted Hide Post
That's a sweet gun. I don't care for that barrel configuration, but I get it, for keeping it the legal length. I always thought a well-executed clone is a fine substitute for a Swiss gun, if it's gonna be a shooter. Obviously lacks the collector value of a Swiss gun, but has all the features, and arguably all the performance, except for a Swiss barrel (which yours apparently has). Just gotta build it on a good receiver, which that one certainly is.

Posts: 2066 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Any lotto winners? I was in for the 553 but no call/email. Frown

On the plus side, I didn't have to sell a kidney, so I've got that going for me.

Update, that kidney is going because I got an email. YAY! 553 in my future!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Loswsmith,

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I didn't even bother. The anniversary 551 is cool but the price isn't. Already have the other things and don't need more. I'm sure I could make $$ on GB but seems wrong to win and flip.

Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
PGT - thanks for resizing the pictures and for the advice on how to do so. I also appreciate the back story with JDI.

I wasn't aware of the business until recently.
What was the story with the "Lottery"?

gw3971- thank you as well for your helpful information.

Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
Since I have my copy "551-2 SP Swat" the only configuration I'm looking for is the 20" bbl. 550 rifle.

Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
That's a sweet gun. I don't care for that barrel configuration, but I get it, for keeping it the legal length. I always thought a well-executed clone is a fine substitute for a Swiss gun, if it's gonna be a shooter. Obviously lacks the collector value of a Swiss gun, but has all the features, and arguably all the performance, except for a Swiss barrel (which yours apparently has). Just gotta build it on a good receiver, which that one certainly is.

Thanks! Yeah, the rifle has no collector value but in 2006 when the 556 rifle came out, this was the only option I could figure out to get a realistic 55X series rifle. It's almost 100% all Swiss, though still a mutt.
As mentioned, I had to compromise for the barrel configuration. Luckily, the Swiss had the 551-2 SP Swat version for the US market so it wasn't a big problem. Had I been able to get a 551-2 LB barrel, I would have preferred that profile.

When I did a preliminary sighting in at 25 yds. from a bench rest years ago I was able to get 3 shot groups that a dime covered. It opens up at 100+ yds, obviously. So the darn thing is pretty accurate.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Dave put up some stuff for sale back in April and had literally 22,000 phone calls trying to order them. Rumor was an import ban coming on 1 May.

He has more coming but instead of dealing with two solid days of phone calls and frustrated customers, he set up some email addresses and will make them available via random drawing. One entry per customer.

grey PE90P's, some 553's and the anniversary 551-2.

PS - shot you an email

Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dan.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
You would think Swiss arms could hire a few more people with more exports to the US.

Posts: 9941 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder if someone on this forum won a PE90 Wink

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
nobody was winning anything except the ability to swipe a CC or write a check