SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    If you couldn’t have an AR…
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you couldn’t have an AR… Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I didn’t post the question from a standpoint of a ban on AR’s, I was thinking more along the lines of ‘If the M16 had never been invented’. I should have been more clear. My fault.
It was just to see what most people’s interest would be without AR’s and clones.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Remington 7615. Pump action .223/5.56 that uses standard AR mags. All the firepower of an AR with the looks of a Rem 870 pump. It's one of my Grail Guns I wish I'd bought before they became scarce and pricey.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2570 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I would still be a sucker for European Cold War era rifles. My 551 would be my go-to, along with my V-53. Obviously Swiss rifle, HK roller rifles, FALs, and older FN49 type rifles are my enjoyment.

Posts: 10049 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
I didn’t post the question from a standpoint of a ban on AR’s, I was thinking more along the lines of ‘If the M16 had never been invented’. I should have been more clear. My fault.
It was just to see what most people’s interest would be without AR’s and clones.

If that's the case, FN FNC, SCAR, FN FAL, HK G3, HK33, Galil, ACE, SIG 55X.

Posts: 4772 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Yep. There's some neat AKs out there these days as well for the 5.56 fans (Zastava M90, Beryl). With all the AR-18 variants out there these days (55X, VS-2/Hellion, BRN-180) it's tempting to think someone would've come up with a better rifle using that design than we've seen in the US to date if there were an AR-15-sized void in the market.

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What Roguejsk said

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55234 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
Probably a Mini-14 or M1 Carbine... A Ruger PC 9mm for fun. An M1A if you need something with a little more oompf but can't own an AR10.

But a .357mag lever gun is really fun too !!!

So just get all of the above and you'll be good to go Smile

Posts: 2704 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
If the idiotic assault ban hits my state I think and SKS might not have all of the listed elements of an assault rifle.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1609 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Long before I knew of AR15 and AR10, I shot bolt actions. Tried some lever actions here and there, but never really warmed up to them. I shot a few non-AR semi-autos, but they didn't do much for me -- too many compromises, especially in accuracy. But when I shot some ARs, I realized here are auto loaders that offer the precision I want.

So...I was quite happy with bolt actions prior to adding ARs to the mix. If ARs were never introduced & available, there might be another type of semi-auto that I'd consider, but nothing rises to the top at the moment. But I like bolt actions and pretty certain I always will. To wit:

308 Win

6 Creedmoor

223 Remy

Posts: 8034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't forget about the hyper-obscure Benelli MR-1!

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 996 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
Or any rifle that looked similar, what rifles would you be into?

All of the others.

Posts: 21409 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I think the M1 Garand or the M1 Carbine would make fine guns for different roles the AR fills. If we’re talking HD, I would probably add some kind of lever action and right now I’m infatuated with. Marlin 1894 chambered in 44 mag.

Posts: 3037 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have to say "AK all the way".

Posts: 2031 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An H&K 53 doesn't look like an AR. Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8553 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tavor X95

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 568 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
This'n will do just fine.

Posts: 20665 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Playtime: black powder cartridge rifle (rolling block/sharps)
HD: AK
Hunting: bolt gun
MILSURPs FTW

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11486 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
CZ Bren 2 w. pinned/welded 14" barrel

Posts: 3167 | Location: Loudoun VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you couldn’t have an AR…

Then, I'll have two. Razz

Q

Posts: 27695 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Ak's I guess.

Posts: 7742 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post