SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    If you couldn’t have an AR…
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you couldn’t have an AR… Login/Join 
posted
Or any rifle that looked similar, what rifles would you be into?

Posts: 1188 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
For what use? Range? Home defense? Hunting?

I do think some have tunnel vision towards an AR, plenty of other options. One could even get a version of a VZ-58, but still kinda similar.

A lever gun offers fairly good rates of fire, not many restrictions. The bolt action covers many bases, which I usually choose for hunting.

Posts: 6435 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
What do you mean "if"? Big Grin

(In truth I decided on Mini-14 back when it was legal to own an un-neutered AR.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16996 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For whatever use you choose. Garands would probably get my attention.

posted Hide Post
I’m in the same boat kkina. I live under Pritzkers bullshit rules in Il.

posted Hide Post
SIG 551.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2357 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
When I lived in New York, it was a Garand.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably have a Garand.

Posts: 17703 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I’m torn between an AR10 and one of those little tanker springfields.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6643 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
M1A or a Garand here...or a Mini-14 if Ruger would build one that doesn't suck.

I had a Mini, which was pretty fun until I got serious about learning to shoot rifles and discovered that its mechanical accuracy was just absolutely horrendous. That's one of the few time in my life that I can honestly say that it wasn't me, it was the gun.

I'd bought the Mini because I couldn't afford a Garand and it seemed like a cheaper approach to the platform. Then I discovered the CMP, and added a couple of M1s to the safe, both of which are far better and more accurate rifles than that Mini could ever hope to be.

I miss the handiness and lighter cartridge of the Mini, but those benefits were negated by the inability to reliably hit a paper plate at 50 yards. I'm allowed to have ARs here and could easily put one together that more accurate than that for not a lot of money, so there was absolutely no reason to continue putting up with that mini's bullshit.

An M1A is still on my want list. Probably a Tanker or Scout Squad, just to have something a little handier than my Garands. But the price has made it hard to justify when I have other stuff to spend money on, and the Garands have rendered it somewhat redundant.

Posts: 9302 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I've kinda been drooling over an M1A lately. But that's .308.

If I were going 5.56, either a Mini-14 or a Galil Ace, but the Ace might be too similar to an AR/M4.

Or I'd go with a Pistol Caliber Carbine.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6153 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With my HOR being NY, I've had to deal with this.

Ruger PC9 or Mini-14. The Mini 14 may not win the national match, but it's worked for PDs and Normal Folks for a number of years. My main complaint is the position of the controls, I don't like where the safety is or the mag release (I'm spoiled by my AR). I've got a PC9 I'm playing with, it's got some limitations, we'll see how it shakes out. I wish Ruger would make an OEM P320 mag adapter.

For close in work, a 12 gauge either semi or pump will put a hurting on someone. REM 870, Mossburg 590, Ithaca 37, Winchester 1300, etc. Beretta 1301, Benelli Nova, M4, etc.

When the SAFE ACT dropped and I thought that the Albany Aholes were going to try and go full stupid I picked up a Ruger Gunsite in .308. It's a nice rifle and bolt action worked for the great war. Mossburg makes a similar rifle in.223 that can take an AR mag. If you can cycle the bolt, make hits, it can be rather lethal.

If you want the cowboy motif, a Lever gun in a Pistol caliber or a .30-30 (approximates 7.63X39) can put bad guys in the ground and look heroic while doing it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CD228,

Posts: 4772 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
5.56, maybe a couple KelTec SU16s or a Mini
PCC: Probably a Scorpion. maybe a Sub2k

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
In an attempted order of choice.

M14, Mini 14, M1 Carbine, Garand, FN49, SKS, Remington Model 8, Ruger American .223 AR mag, Ruger Scout .308, FR-8 with trench magazine, lever actions.

Posts: 10049 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M1 Garands, M1 Carbines..and some .303 Lee Enfield models.

Posts: 3428 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
SIG 551.

This right there. Then a FNC. Maybe an AR70. So many quality choices.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 722 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I hadn't considered a lever gun. The AR of its day, and there are lots of good options these days; of course that applies to any firearm.
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

M14, Mini 14, M1 Carbine, Garand, FN49, SKS, Remington Model 8, Ruger American .223 AR mag, Ruger Scout .308, FR-8 with trench magazine, lever actions.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6153 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

I had to look up the FR-8 with trench magazine, Neat!

Posts: 4772 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am with Josh and Delta. The Sig 55X. But, I do think it's outside the purview of the OP, as it does look similar to an AR.

That being said, I'd probably go for a lever gun.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Honestly I reread the OP, I posted a list of defensive rifles I would use in an “assault rifle” ban state, depending on severity of the ban. I actually don’t have a completed Garand, Model 8, or Ruger bolt action. Not for a lack of wanting though! While ARs can be interesting, I really see them as practical tools. Foreign Cold War era rifles are my interest. I have 2 FR-8 mausers, so I stuck a repro trench mag on one. It would take some work to make it reliable, shimming for length at least, fitting a G3 magazine follower and spring at most. I suppose I am lucky, I went rifle crazy when I was younger, wanting to get a collection before another assault rifle ban. Now that my state has one, the most tactical you can get is a Mini-14 with the top handguard removed. Some shops are selling fixed mag ARs, nothing is consistent.

Posts: 10049 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post