SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Colt AR-15 Carbine Recall
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt AR-15 Carbine Recall Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
https://coltrepairmsr.com/

Important Safety Recall for Certain Modern Sporting Rifles

Colt’s Manufacturing Company LLC (Colt) has recently discovered a potential safety issue with certain of its semi-automatic only Modern Sporting Rifles (“MSR”). Colt is voluntarily initiating a recall to protect the safety of its customers because of the potential for certain MSRs to discharge unintentionally and because of its commitment to the highest standards of quality and customer satisfaction.

To prevent the possibility of death or serious personal injury, you should immediately stop using your MSR and not load or fire it until you have determined if it is affected, and it has been upgraded if necessary.

Under certain conditions, it is possible that some Colt MSRs may discharge a second round when the trigger is released with a live round in the chamber. Colt has identified the cause of this condition as being hammers installed in certain MSRs that do not meet Colt’s specifications. The issue will be corrected by replacing the hammer in affected MSRs.

The recall only covers the following MSRs manufactured beginning on March 5, 2021: AR15A4, CR6700A4, CR6920, CR6920-EPR, CR6920MPS-B, CR6921, CR6921-EPR, CR6933, CR6933-EPR, CR6960, LE6920-EPR, LE6920MPS-B, LE6920-OEM1, LE6920-OEM2, LE6920-R, LE6933-EPR, SP633784, and LE6920SOCOM. These MSRs could still be for sale at dealers TODAY.

The chart...lists all the serial numbers for those models that may potentially be subject to the recall.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Jeez, man. Roll Eyes Colt has really gone downhill.

I was a huge fan of Colt ARs. My home defense 6920 is about four feet from me right now and I love it, but that's a rifle produced in 2012. My advice to anyone seeking a new AR right now is to avoid Colt.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Just a run of bad hammers from a subcontractor.

If I had a Colt that was in the recall list, I'd send them my hammer but not my complete gun if it was a proper rollmark or valuable one. I'd be afraid they'd send me a new laser-marked one.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Nothing I’ve heard about Colt in the last five years or so makes me want to buy one. Just “it’s a Colt.” Now this.

If I was looking at a mainline AR manufacturer to purchase from and had the “it’s gotta be TDP” itch, I’d buy FN and not think twice.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Just a run of bad hammers from a subcontractor.
I don't think I would characterize a defect which can cause a rifle to fire unitentionally as "just" anything.

This is screwed up.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Ok. The fix is swapping a known good hammer in. So, call it whatever you'd like.

I'd drop a Schmid NiB trigger set in call it done, personally.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Man, the rifle will fire unintentionally. What part of that do you think should be minimized?

Do you think everyone who has purchased one of these recall rifles frequents forums such as this? Some people have defective rifles right now and don't know it.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I dunno, some people pay a lot of extra money for that.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I didn't say to ignore it. If I own one (still need to check), I'll handle it myself by swapping in spare parts, that's all.

Colt is being overly careful here for good reason. Likely a very small chance of it being an issue based on how they wrote that recall so they're tossing a blanket on it to ensure no problems (which tort law requires).

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
My 2013 production LE prefix is GTG.

I'm curious how Colt will handle any aftermarket trigger equipped carbines that fall under the recall.

I hope those members with carbines that fall under the recall will keep us updated on how it goes.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I'm curious how Colt will handle any aftermarket trigger equipped carbines that fall under the recall..

Probably just like any other company, "Any unauthorized aftermarket modifications to the firearm will void the warranty." But, I suspect these folks don't care, anyhow. Because they already upgraded to better FCGs, the recall is moot.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Thanks. That's along the lines of what I was thinking. I'm just more or less curious whether Colt will require the entire carbine or just the lower be returned for both testing and possibly re-marking indicating the carbine has the replacement hammer/ part(s).

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am curious to see if CZ is able to turn things around a bit. Use what works from Colt, inject some new blood / design ethos better QC etc.

Either that or they just ponied up a ton of money for access to .gov contracts. I’d prefer the former. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s an issue with the hammer as has been mentioned. Not a big deal. Swap for a better FCG and drive on. All of my ARs have Geissele SSA, SSA-E, or LMT 2-stage FCG. Factory FCGs go in the spare parts bin.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Do you think everyone who has purchased one of these recall rifles frequents forums such as this? Some people have defective rifles right now and don't know it.

True and if they are part of the "new" gun owner crowd they may not even be going to ranges or gun shops where this info could be disseminated.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My 2013 production LE prefix is GTG.

I'm curious how Colt will handle any aftermarket trigger equipped carbines that fall under the recall.

I hope those members with carbines that fall under the recall will keep us updated on how it goes.

It sounds like a batch of bad hammers. Usually when people talk about replacing the “trigger” on an AR, they replace most, or all, of the FCU. Rarely does anyone replace just the trigger without also replacing the hammer. If you’ve done that, you’re probably OK.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Underdog:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

True and if they are part of the "new" gun owner crowd they may not even be going to ranges or gun shops where this info could be disseminated.

Yep. There's going to be people who own these rifles who will never get this information. Years down the road, one may discharge unintentionally and kill someone. This isn't just a "oh, it's an AR, you just replace the hammer" type problem for everyone who bought one of these, it's potentially a ticking time bomb.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Saw the title, opened and read, because I own a Colt AR-15, but earlier that those affected.

Thanks for posting, Q.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:I'd drop a Schmid NiB trigger set in call it done, personally.

I have a rifle that falls into the recall range and that's what I did yesterday. I'm not dealing with the hassle of shipping my lower so they can swap in a new FCG for me.

quote:

They address that in the FAQ. Those rifles would no longer fall under the recall. If your rifle doesn't have a hammer installed that's marked F1/F2/F3/F4, you're good to go. They advise you to discard any hammer marked as such.

Posts: 1009 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I ask this because I simply don't know: what about an AR-15 hammer could make it exhibit the unintentional-fire condition mentioned?

As a manufacturing guy, I start with "why?" Were these groups of hammers shaped incorrectly? Dimensionally incorrect? Poor finish? Too heavy/light (wrong material)? What specification was not met?

Confused

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post