SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Your thoughts and experiences on the Sig M400?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your thoughts and experiences on the Sig M400? Login/Join 
Picture of pepsiblue
posted
Stopped in the local shop today, and they had a used one on the shelf. Green Magpul furniture, and everything else was bone stock as far as I can tell. It had brass marks on the shell deflector, and no other noticeable wear. I did a quick search on the forum and did not see anything negative, with pretty much the same results using Google. Other than the ambidextrous lower, anything different than a regular AR? Anything special I should look out for? I don’t really need another long gun, but it was $650, and that seemed fair enough to me!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
My buddy just picked one up, haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
Looked like a solid rifle for the money.
The ambi lower was pretty slick and I liked that it had an extended BHO lever.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For $650,it is a solid gun. I sold the one I had to my brother in law as he wanted something reliable and one that had the ambi controls. I miss that rifle.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$650 would have caused me to jump.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of the original m400s in FDE.
It’s an excellent AR excellent fitment of upper to lower with detent in lower. Tack driver at 100yards with 69g ammo and a very smooth shooter. At 650 I would buy in a heartbeat.

Posts: 152 | Location: DFW | Registered: April 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many LE agencies in New England use them, and I've heard nothing negative about them.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We have them for work and they're solid rifles. $650 is a good buy. Ours have a rubber insert to tighten up the upper to lower fit, QD sockets on the lower receiver, and ambi everything except the bolt release, which is extended. Mine has possibly the best milspec-style trigger I've ever encountered.

Posts: 8422 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I had one a few years back that I wound up trading-off, only because of what I was trading my way into (my first Les Baer 1911). The M400 I had was a very basic “M4-style” carbine that was rock-solid in every respect.

I’d wondered if SIG was still producing these and I’m glad to hear that it sounds like they indeed are.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6690 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sw4566:
Many LE agencies in New England use them, and I've heard nothing negative about them.

I know the Vt state Police and Manchester NH police issue them. solid guns

Posts: 440 | Location: people republic of Crapachusettes | Registered: September 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personal tiff, I hate referring to an ambi mag release as an ambi lower. Nope. I put Norgon’s on a couple guns and BAD levers on some, still not ambi.

At 650 I might have a sorta ambi truck gun. Lol

Posts: 7349 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had no problems with mine. There are several m400 threads around giving owner's opinions. If my memory is correct there was an excellent in-depth review by a member (perhaps a mod) several (10+) years ago.

Posts: 985 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The M400 is a fine rifle, better than what Colt is putting out right now.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Are you serious about the M400 ? I was under the impression the Colts were supposed to be good ones. What is the difference between piston and direct impingement? I have an AK and a Sig556 that are both piston guns. I was wanting to get a AR that will run off the same mags and ammo I have for the P556.

Posts: 446 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
A direct impingement gun essentially uses the bolt carrier as a piston. Gas is bled off and blown directly into the carrier, thus cycling it. In a piston gun, the gas pushes on a piston which in turn pushes the bolt carrier. Depending on the setup, the piston may or may not be directly attached to the carrier.

DI guns tend to be lighter and have less reciprocating mass. Piston guns are often thought to be more reliable and usually cleaner, but they're often front heavy.

Colt's quality has gone downhill lately. I've never been a Colt aficionado, so I can't really comment on specifics.

The M400 has been considered a reliable rifle with a good suite of features right out of the box.

If I found one for $650, I'd snatch it up, even though I am not at all in need of another AR.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I was in town looking at the Local Atwoods, they had a M400 with the ugly yellow stickers , that looks like the fit and finish were good $850 for those and they had a couple of the Colt M4 carbines and the were really rough looking. The Colts were marked down 25% to $720 though. I went to a Dunhams sporting goods and talked to them, they carry a lot of firearms but hadn't had any Sig ARs in along time so I went home and called Action Arms in Tulsa and they told me they had a M400 SDI X in and I looked it up online and liked what I saw so I went down there and bought that gun and a new Sig 1-8 MSR optic and brought it home and mounted the scope..

I am hoping to go out and shoot it tomorrow or the next day, I have a 100yr range right behind the house.

My first impression with this rifle is excellent fit and finish, I believe its all black cerakote. I think its got a pretty good trigger also...

Kevin

Posts: 446 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kyoung:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Are you serious about the M400?
Yes, I am. Colt quality has been slipping for a few years now. It's not that the rifles are not usable It's that they no longer deserve to ride on the reputation Colt acquired long ago.

If you're really interested, take the time to watch this.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I got to mess with my buddies getting it set up with a Romeo5 and such.
It really is a well made rifle and for about $800 well worth the money.
SS mid gas barrel, pinned gas block and a solid BCG.
Forgot to see what buffer is in it.

In town ammo is picked clean but I have enough 55,62 and 77gr to mess around a bit till his order comes in.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far my M400 has been flawless, it has munched through 70 rds of 55grn and 63grn with no hiccups. I bore sighted it with the new MSR optic it was shooting a tad high at 100yds and that was it. Sig has done good on this one , it has torque specs printed on everything that needs torqued. a very easy install, just got a new magpul bipod in so I will have to run some more 556 through it soon......

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I would recommend the M400 or Springfield Saint. The Saint has been a sleeper out of the box.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Got a few rounds down range today with it getting sighted in and such.
Seems to run well, my only gripe is the ambi mag release in the way of the BHO.
With gloves on you had to keep looking for it and not hit the mag release, it's hiding behind it a bit.

He found that a red dot isn't for him, maybe 20 years ago. 50 yds was bad enough, 100 was a nope.
I brought a 4-16 and put that on it for a bit, now he's going down heart failure lane looking at scopes.