SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Marlin 22LR Value and should I buy this one
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 22LR Value and should I buy this one Login/Join 
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted
I am looking at getting a 22 to add to the collection and this one is on a local auction along with a few other guns. Most of the 22s have been in the 200 to 250 rage and I am thinking this Marlin will bring more:
[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51577388026_6b4d1e519f.jpg"> Marlin 22 LR by Robert Peed, on Flickr[IMG][/IMG]

What are your thoughts on the value of this Marlin and is this one I should be looking at?

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 236 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your pictures aren't showing up - at least on my computer. What's the model & serial # of the rifle in question?

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
Working on the pics and I will get the info ASAP!

But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 236 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Let me help with the pictures:

That's a nice little model 60. I can't help with a precise value, but it's probably not that much unless the medallion on the stock means it's some kind of specialty edition. They made millions of those things. I picked up a model 70 (the box-mag fed version of the 60) a few months back for $120 locally. ETA: Guess I mis-remembered...it was $170.

They have a reputation as good guns, and have a pretty loyal following. I had a 60 years ago that I bought at Wal-Mart, and it was a jammomatic. It never got through a mag without jamming up. My 70 isn't exactly reliable, either. I've been doing some reading on it and learned that you need to be careful when re-assembling them....always install the lower unit with the bolt locked back, otherwise you can bend the ejector, which will create all kinds of problems. The plastic buffers also wear out, so that's something you will probably want to check if you end up buying a used one.

The ejector on my model 70 is different, but similar in concept. I've been tweaking it and saw significant improvement at my last range session with it, but still not 100%. I made a few more adjustments after I got it home, but have yet to get back out with it to test.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 92fstech,

Posts: 8420 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for the help with the pics. I just cant seem to get it right even though I have in the past. I really like this gun and hope it doesn't get crazy high. I really appreciate the info on yours and as always, I learn a ton from this fantastic group here!

― Marcus Aurelius

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I did a little googling...sounds like the "W" in "Model 60W" stands for either "walnut" (what the stock is made of, as opposed to birch) or "Wal-Mart" (the distributor this model was produced for). There's some debate about which is correct, but I've read the W=Wal-Mart thing before when I was researching 336s.

Apparently the Medallion and walnut stock classifies it as some kind of NRA special edition.

It's a nice little gun. I like the short mag tube. I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up as long as the price stays reasonable, especially if you're open to a bit of a project. Parts are readily available and affordable for these.

Posts: 8420 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
thats a 150-250.00 Model 60.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
Here is what I just learned:
Marlin 60W - Safety, Ethics, Sportsmanship NRA Edition
1996 production Marlin Model 60W, commissioned by Marlin to commemorate the 125th Anniversary of the NRA
This was an ad I found online with the same medallion and this is a much nicer gun than in the ad. The guy had it listed for 175.00 with a scope in August of 2020. Gotta love the internet.

― Marcus Aurelius

Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
Yes a winter project is perfect and this seems like a nice gun and being a NRA Commemorative Edition may ad some value but who knows. Man I love this forum. I have been on here much longer than my account shows as I took a while to join. Thanks so much so far for all of the info!

― Marcus Aurelius

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Just be careful buying Marlins. I've found them to be as addicting as Sigs and Ruger revolvers, but they're bigger and now I'm out of room in my safe Big Grin.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Just be careful buying Marlins. I've found them to be as addicting as Sigs and Ruger revolvers, but they're bigger and now I'm out of room in my safe Big Grin.

Facts

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
Yeah I understand the "Facts" and this seems like a nice gun. I am going to look at it before the auction ends when I get back in town from work.

― Marcus Aurelius

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I have that exact same rifle. Got it new as a kid & have put unknown thousands of rounds through it without a hiccup.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Generally commemoratives only ad value if NIB, and then, maybe.

In the not too distant past, with something like Winchester lever actions, you could often get used commemoratives for less than used standard models.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the inside info on the commemorative editions. I really don't care one way or the other that it is a commemorative model but seems like a nice gun condition wise. I will know more later this week. I will say I am looking forward to having a 22 in the small group of guns I have and hopefully it is a nice one.

― Marcus Aurelius

posted Hide Post
quote:
action.
When I workedat K-Mart in the 70’s we sold Marlin 29’s every other week for 29.95 on sale. We sold lots of model 29’s. At that time te Python retailed for 125.00 Those were the days.

Posts: 27 | Location: Pa | Registered: October 27, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Since Remington filed for bankruptcy and sold off Marlin to Ruger, Marlins have gone up in value a bit, especially the pre-Remington Marlins that were made in North Haven, CT.

Marlin fans and gun speculators don't know which models will be built again, so the Model 60 right now is sort of like a Mosin-Nagant. Even though there are several million out there, they aren't making them anymore. The Model 60 & 795 were direct competitors to Ruger's 10/22, so a lot of gun guys are pessimistic that Ruger will resume their production.

As WARPIG602 posted, FMV is around $150-250. 1-2 years ago, I'd agree that it was worth $150-175, but now I'd be surprised if it didn't fetch at least $200. A brand new 10/22 costs $270 right now, so I think that Model 60 will sell for $250-300, especially since it's being sold through an auction house.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
Well it is at 210.00 at the moment with 4 days left. It looks really nice in person according to a friend of mine who works there. It does not look like it has had a lot of use and was more a safe queen. Now I have to think 300.00 should be the end of the world on it but who knows.

― Marcus Aurelius

Picture of Grayfox54
posted Hide Post
The Marlin 60 is a true classic and, like mentioned, millions have been made. Its a nice, light, reliable, inexpensive and amazingly accurate rifle. Untold numbers of kids got these as their first gun. And many still own them. They are that good.
I have the 99M1 version myself and it ain't going nowhere. Wink
There's one just like the one you're looking at on GB right now. Current bid is $230.
Honestly, I think that is a bit high. If you look around a bit, you can find a good, used one in the $100-150 range. But then, these days prices on any gun are just crazy. So what do I know? Roll Eyes

It ain't the years, its the mileage.

Posts: 54 | Location: Bartlett, TN | Registered: November 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I might pay $210. I wouldn't pay $300. As a self-admitted Marlinaholic, as much as I hate to admit it, the 10/22 is a better gun than the Model 60 in just about every way. The beauty of the Marlin has always been that they were cheap. If I'm paying 10/22 money, I'd just get a 10/22. My recommendation is this: you've got four days left. Hit up some LGSs and check the used racks. You might be amazed at what you'll find. There are still deals out there if you look, and you're not comitted to this one yet so why not check out your options?

A quick disclaimer: I'm a shooter with a small collection, not a collector. I buy guns based off of what I enjoy shooting and their practical qualities. Speculative future value doesn't factor into my decisions, nor am I any kind of expert on firearms investments. The advice above is purely based on my experience shooting both guns, and how they've performed for me. If you're looking to buy this as an investment to re-sell for a profit in the future, I'm probably not the guy to take advice from.