SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone have a 733 they like? How about a 6933? "Commando" Short AR discussion and rambling inside.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a 733 they like? How about a 6933? "Commando" Short AR discussion and rambling inside. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
I've wanted one for years. Yes, it's "the gun from Heat," (and Black Hawk Down) but more than that, it's just a damn cool configuration. I have a 6933 a friend put together for me recently that I thought would scratch that itch but only made it worse. He had a flat top upper he could put together with an 11" pencil, and the choice was "you can have this now, or you can have a 733 when I can find an upper." Patience isn't my strong suit, so I have a 6933 type. Yes, the forward assist came off a rifle that was painted and neither of us cleaned it off. I don't care. Yes, the grip plug is missing from the MOE+. I also don't care about that.

Yes, I have the paperwork submitted. Yes, the brace will get whatevered according to whatever legal whatever gets decided next week before the whatever. Whatever. Legal! Please don't come shoot my Maine Coon, I swear he's a cat, not a dog, even though he's bigger than your dog. Please don't shoot him, he's a good boy.

Now, about the 6933, there's been some discussion lately about "everything you need and nothing you don't," and I think for a minimalist home defense carbine, it will neatly fill the role once I get a simple sling, and a light mount figured out for the handguard. My plan was an IWC Mount 'N Slot for a Streamlight Polytac X on a set of original MOE carbine length handguard that Primary Arms inexplicably threw in for free with an order about a decade ago that has sat in a bin all this time. Unfortunately, the IWC guy passed away and the online store has been suspended, and it's anyone's guess if that company will ever produce or sell anything ever again. So it's the secondary market and whatever I can find, I guess. The only thing I don't love when shooting the 6933 is it jumps around a fair bit. Now, that's not surprising at 5lbs 1oz unloaded plus a pound and an ounce loaded with M193. With a proper stock once my Form 1 gets approved, it should be easier to get a tighter hold with it to mitigate that some. PA also threw in an MOE vertical grip that is also NIB. Bet your ass I'll be putting that on before I install the handguard. Again, when approved. I like irons, and tried a few red dots on it, but it adds enough weight that I pulled them. Without anything extra, it's a true one-hand gun. I love it.

That brings us back to the 733. You ever buy a gun just for fun? That's what this is. The AR's I grew up seeing in films and TV all had carry handles, but I finally came to the platform at a time where it was considered silly to bother with any of that. A1, A2, and C7 uppers were cheap and plentiful because people wanted rails on rails, so of course, I didn't buy one. I have a C7 upper coming, and an 11" pencil barrel waiting for it. The various bits and bobs are mostly put together, lacking only an A1 sight kit and a handguard end cap, then construction can commence and I'll finally have my retro AR in the bag. Shamelessly stolen example photo so people who don't know don't have to search.

What to do with the 6933? Basically, it's gonna be the exact same gun, just with different types of iron sights since I don't want to put an optic on the flat top, even though I can. Anymore, I'm not a fan of needless redundancy, and in this last year or so, I went from a few AR's to about a half dozen. I didn't want it to happen, and I used to wonder at guys with that many AR's, but it happened anyway. As with everyone else, it starts with extra parts that turn into extra uppers which logically proceeds to grabbing some $50 blem PSA lowers which of course, need budget LPK's so you can use up the various stocks and grips you have sitting around in parts bins and the next thing you know, you AR count has doubled or tripled. The least I can do is make them all different, I guess. I have a 10" Diamondhead VRS-T that's paired with a flat top upper and a 10.5"... (sighs) heavy barrel. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I don't drink anymore, so it feels as heavy and silly as it shouldn't. I'm now thinking of cannibalizing that thing and pairing that rail with this 11" pencil in my "6933" and then putting the can, the light, the LAM, optic, and all that shit that goes on an NV capable carbine and turning a 5lb gun into a 10lb gun. It doesn't feel like the smartest thing to do, but I can see in the dark, and I don't have a gun that works with that. I will soon, however, have everything I need to make that happen, so that's looking like what will happen.

Lots of rambling, but whatever. I'm sure I'm not alone in this question here. I have two form 1's for AR lowers in the hopper, and I'm gonna do another for one of these PSA lowers I put together this past weekend. Then it's Form 4's for cans, and I think I'll probably start with a Rugged Razor to get the ball rolling for rifles, then figure out muzzle devices while I wait. Short rifles like suppressors, especially for any kind of serious or defensive use. 11" 5.56 out in the open? It's fine. 11" 5.56 in an indoor range, or even under an awning? It sucks, hard. I know hearing is a secondary consideration if you have to shoot someone in a defensive scenario, but damn.

Posts: 17150 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
11" 5.56 out in the open? It's fine. 11" 5.56 in an indoor range, or even under an awning? It sucks, hard.

Indeed. I got to experience this a few months ago in a class. Buddy and I were paired up inside a car, had to shoot out through the mostly intact windshield. I was using a 16" M400...buddy had his unsuppressed 11" MCX. There's no nice way to shoot out from inside a car, but that 11" SBR was like a cannon.

I can only imagine what it felt like to be inside the turrets on an old WWII battleship and fire off salvo after salvo of 16". Those dude's had to be made of sterner stuff...would have rung my bell for sure.

Posts: 8578 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
In a car. Jesus.

Posts: 17150 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had builds of both. The 933 remains, and is the one AR of mine that persists; others come and go, get reconfigured, torn down, built up different, etc; the 933 remains largely unchanged. It's really by chance, I guess; I bought it as a LE surplus parts kit in 2013ish, and it's been equipped a few different ways, but has retained the CAR stock and SF handguard the kit came with, and has always had a "millennium" SF light on the outboard side. I think it's worn a compM4, an ACOG, and now a Specter, which it's had on it for the last few years. It's a good gun. I don't know that there's anything about it that I think is particularly endearing; like I said, I got it on a whim, and it's really by chance that it's taken the foothold it has. I sent a picture to your email. Your 933 agenda sounds good; make that 10LB gun! The only thing that bugs me about fixed front sights, and LAMs in the cool-guy top rail position, is how much of that you see in your sight picture, when using something like the Specter or a LPVO on 1X. My other projects keep the LAM on the side, and have folding front sights, to unclutter the view, but the 933 stays with the stereotypical setup, just because.

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I hadn't considered a Surefire combo handguard, I may look into that.

To clarify, if I do the parts swap on the stuff I have, this upper will get a gas block because the VRS-T will swallow the barrel whole. Here it is as it's currently configured with the barrel I hate. That's a 10.5" with an A2 size "forward comp" attached, so it's got all the rail estate you're gonna get on a barrel that short.

On that note, there may be better choices these days, but this is something I already have. The tube itself only weighs 12.9oz. The barrel nut is probably substantial. Complete, it’s 4lbs 3oz. The 6933 complete upper is 3lbs 11oz. That's with bolt carrier and charging handle. I dunno what kind of difference we're talking in terms of weight saved by shaving delta ring, collar, spring, and FSB vs the Diamondhead collar and gas block with... I guess no irons, but it shouldn't be massive. That pencil barrel should make a pretty noticeable difference, though. My research shows this other one may be something between a heavy and gov't profile barrel but regardless, "handy and light," it ain't.

posted Hide Post
No hosting sight so will shoot you a pic tomorrow, but I have a factory 6933 SBR I picked up new 3 or 4 years ago. I added a Colt carry handle and replaced the A2 with a dead air flash hider, need to go ahead and buy the Sandman S already and start the clock.

Posts: 1628 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 6933 factory colt. Knights RAS surefire 1500 lumens on it with the sr07 pad. B co grip knight back up sight with a comp m4 S and 3x magnifier on it. The other optic is a night force 1-8 which is great. Vickers sling.

This is my go to rifle. Never a hiccup balance is perfect. If I could only have one this is it. I got an mwal da for it when I need it.

I left this out accidentally. The pic and rifle that started me down this path are currently up. It was para’s colt 6721. I drooled over that in my dreams so while the forum is fantastic it has help me part ways with more money than I care to admit. Would not change a thing

Posts: 1746 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
In a car. Jesus.

Unsuppressed short barreled SBRs are absolutely punishing inside a car. With ear and eye pro. And no side windows. Glass dust everywhere.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:
In a car. Jesus.

Unsuppressed short barreled SBRs are absolutely punishing inside a car. With ear and eye pro. And no side windows. Glass dust everywhere.

Yeah, I remember back a few years ago that was a pursuit video out of Utah (I think) where an officer was shooting at the fleeing vehicle through his windshield with a rifle. After that exercise, I'm not sure how he was doing that and keeping it on the road. The concussion, the glass particles, and even once you get a big enough hole to poke the muzzle through, the cracks in the rest of the windshield almost completely obscure your sight picture. It's a situation I hope to never find myself in in real life. Without ear pro there's no doubt you'd have permanent hearing loss. I doubled up and it was still pretty bad.

I'm digging that 733, though. If I were to build an SBR, that's what I'd want. It just looks so simple, light, and handy.

Posts: 8578 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Huge fan of the 6933. Well, to be truthful, I’m a big fan of just about any Block 1, 1.5, or 2 set up. I have a 6933 upper build on a LMT registered lower. I have always been a huge fan of a FSB set up.

I was shooting one of those flavor of the week drills yesterday. Five rounds rifle, go to bolt lock, transition to pistol for five rounds, go to slide lock, reload and fire five more, holster the pistol, reload the rifle and fire five. 10 rounds pistol, 10 rounds rifle. I was shooting a FSB rifle. When I turned on the EoTech, it flashed indicating the battery was low. That usually means I have a few hours. Mid drill, the EoTech died. I centered up the FSB in the window and kept hammering. 3 Charlie, all in all. Over all time was 21 and some change.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, rather than parts swapping, I’ll keep it as is. I have an opportunity for a KAC RAS a friend is offering me for a good price. Kinda tempted, but the fun budget is kinda thin at the moment. Two rifles set up that way in the same thread has me seriously considering it, though.

Jones, did you do any fiddling with buffers or buffer springs to tune that rifle to not jump around as much, or is it just fundamentals for you? I know you can shoot, I’m just asking if you went into tuning it any or if you just work around it.

posted Hide Post
God, I miss my GAU-5. With "moderator". I will be watching this post, since I have been wanting to build a similar rifle.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a department issued 6933 everyday since issued to me brand new in the box in early 2006. Have only done routine maintenance from our armorer. That carbine has been banged around and shot alot… Very reliable gun. Even w/ the department issued Saker suppressor Att at her it has been reliable. Runs super dirty now but, that’s direct impingement and suppressors…..And yes.. you can hit targets at 300 yards pretty easily.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 357fuzz,

Posts: 4063 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jones, did you do any fiddling with buffers or buffer springs to tune that rifle to not jump around as much, or is it just fundamentals for you? I know you can shoot, I’m just asking if you went into tuning it any or if you just work around it.

I haven’t messed with buffers or tubes yet. I’m going to try a Vltor sometime soon. That and I’m wanting to go full nerd and try a Surefire BCG.

I’ve always shot fairly stock guns. Now, I’m getting nerdy and experimental. Currently my experiment has been on a 16 inch FSB Saint. I’ve ran about 3k through it, changed optics 4 times, swapped some parts around, and next will be a Vltor A5 buffer and tube.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
God, I miss my GAU-5.

That's a neat rifle. My friend who built this really wanted to piece one together years ago, but didn't get to it. He did put together a 607 that had legit everything but the lower that I got to shoot. He managed to track down one of those funky stocks, too. Also a neat gun.

quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
That carbine has been banged around and shot alot… Very reliable gun.

Solid endorsement! Smile

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I haven’t messed with buffers or tubes yet. I’m going to try a Vltor sometime soon. That and I’m wanting to go full nerd and try a Surefire BCG.

I’ve always shot fairly stock guns. Now, I’m getting nerdy and experimental. Currently my experiment has been on a 16 inch FSB Saint. I’ve ran about 3k through it, changed optics 4 times, swapped some parts around, and next will be a Vltor A5 buffer and tube.

I'd be curious about your results. The lower I shot mine with the first time out about a month ago, I'm pretty sure I just had a no-frills buffer and spring. I have a Tubb's Flatwire buffer spring and a Spike's ST T2 tungsten buffer in one of my lowers I need to try it with. That combo turns anything into a pretty smooth shooter. That was a recommended combo back when I first put an AR together, but when I went looking the other day, there were of course options galore.

I decided I'll either buy the KAC RAS he's offering me, or I'll save a little money and get one of these. Same thing, and US Gov contractor part, just doesn't say KAC on it:
https://www.brownells.com/gun-...stems/?sku=430102571

This'll be the NV gun, I guess, and I'll keep the 733 slim and light once I get it finished. That should be easy. They'll be different enough to justify the space in the safe. Razz

posted Hide Post
quote:
wanting to go full nerd and try a Surefire BCG
If you do that, I would very much want to hear what you think; especially where use with a silencer is concerned.

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was issued a 6933 from 2001 until I left the agency in 2008 for another position. Missed it so much I bought a Colt factory 6933. It's the only AR I won't part with. AAC M4 2000 lives on it.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Big fan of the XM/GAU configs. Here's a new build for me...factory Troy upper on an H&R Commando lower with an ACE ESSENTIAL RETRO COATED ALUMINUM CAR BUTTSTOCK ASSEMBLY (identical to the original Colt)

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Between HEAT and Max Payne I had wanted one since I was young. My first AR15 was a CMMG 11.5” pistol ordered back when they were the favorite builder of the month and had the AR upper custom builder page. Long before arm braces. I got lots of dirty looks at the fudd range with that thing. Big Grin

When 2020 started looking sporty I got a couple 6933EPR uppers for my father and myself to build out. Sadly I have very few rounds through it as I couldn’t justify $1 per round. I’m going to fix that this summer.

Posts: 9969 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
PGT, that's a sweet carbine. I've always dug the vinyl acetate look, but originals were too expensive to even consider. $180 for a faithful repro isn't bad. The gov't marked PSA lowers are nice, I picked up three blems a few weeks ago for $50 a pop, two M4's and an M4A1. The blems are minor and I don't care, I don't buy AR's to be pretty. Probably gonna paper the A1. The markings look just like the Colts I've seen. The blems just make it look more like a Colt. Big Grin

sw4566 - Another solid endorsement!

Voshterkoff, yeah the Commando and variants were ubiquitous in all sorts of media growing up. I dunno how old you are, but I just turned 40 and it was all over film and TV, in videogames and more. Now it's the Mk18 MOD 1, but back then, it was the Commando of some stripe.